Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cranial therapy alternative to braces?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:55 pm
for crooked teeth?

is this possible?

anyone ever tried and had success?

crust

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 2:02 pm
I am a believer in cranio and have recommended certain people on this site.

I never heard of it being recommended or helpful instead of braces.

I would want to see a before and after picture of the teeth.

minnie mouse

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 2:04 pm
My friend is doing it for one of her daughters for a long time. I don't see any improvement.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 2:13 pm
minnie mouse wrote:
My friend is doing it for one of her daughters for a long time. I don't see any improvement.

so it is a "thing" to try then, I just thought of it and was wondering if its done bichlal...

honey36

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 2:15 pm
I've heard of this, but what I have learned is that it's not just cranial instead of braces. There is an approach of a combo of different therapies together as a more holistic approach to try instead of traditional orthodontics. Cranial is just one piece of it.

ap

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:00 pm
honey36 wrote:
I've heard of this, but what I have learned is that it's not just cranial instead of braces. There is an approach of a combo of different therapies together as a more holistic approach to try instead of traditional orthodontics. Cranial is just one piece of it.

What else do they need to do?
IIRC Binah had an article but it didn't say details

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:28 pm
honey36 wrote:
This is what we are doing. We are hoping to avoid braces using a combination of myofunctional therapy, tongue tie release, palate expansion, craniosacral and cranial osteopathy. It's possible we will still need braces after all this, but just to help shift a few teeth once the space is made.

Likely our chances of avoiding altogether would be a lot higher had we started all this way earlier.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 4:21 pm
amother Aster wrote:
This is what we are doing. We are hoping to avoid braces using a combination of myofunctional therapy, tongue tie release, palate expansion, craniosacral and cranial osteopathy. It's possible we will still need braces after all this, but just to help shift a few teeth once the space is made.

Likely our chances of avoiding altogether would be a lot higher had we started all this way earlier.

Which practitioners are you using? Where are you located?

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 4:25 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Which practitioners are you using? Where are you located?
I'm in NJ. If you post with your screen name I can PM you names of providers.

way2go

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 4:44 pm
amother Aster wrote:
I'm in NJ. If you post with your screen name I can PM you names of providers.

I'm also in NJ. Providers names would be a huge help! What age is young enough to start when issues are already noticable?

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 5:33 pm
Sounds just as expensive as braces with all The different services and more irritating with all the exercises little kids need to cooperate with.

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
Sounds just as expensive as braces with all The different services and more irritating with all the exercises little kids need to cooperate with.
It's not about saving money.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 5:58 pm
amother Aster wrote:

what is the diff between cranial sacral and cranial osteopath? which is better?

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 6:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
what is the diff between cranial sacral and cranial osteopath? which is better?
Osteopathy is a lot more manipulative than craniosacral therapy and works on bone structures rather than fluids surrounding the cranial nerves and sacrum.
I don't know if one is better or worse as a modality, I choose based on the practitioner and their expertise. I have seen people claim that osteopathy is preferred following a frenectomy but I'm sure there's no consensus.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:07 pm
amother Aster wrote:

Why is all this better than just getting braces? (What’s so bad about braces? Scratching Head )

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:13 pm
amother Aster wrote:
It's not about saving money.

So what's it about then?

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:13 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Why is all this better than just getting braces? (What’s so bad about braces? Scratching Head )
It's not that braces are so terrible per se, just that the standard orthodontic approach tends not to take into account how the mouth affects the airway and the rest of the body. It often makes an already small mouth smaller which restricts the airway and has negative downstream effects. A more holistic approach focuses on expanding the jaw and airway by working on proper tongue placement and mouth breathing, allowing for ample jaw and airway development, which has many downstream benefits. Aesthetics and straight teeth are a side benefit.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:16 pm
amother Aster wrote:
It's not that braces are so terrible per se, just that the standard orthodontic approach tends not to take into account how the mouth affects the airway and the rest of the body. It often makes an already small mouth smaller which restricts the airway and has negative downstream effects. A more holistic approach focuses on expanding the jaw and airway by working on proper tongue placement and mouth breathing, allowing for ample jaw and airway development, which has many downstream benefits. Aesthetics and straight teeth are a side benefit.

is it only till a certain age?

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
is it only till a certain age?
It's definitely harder as they get older but I don't know if you can say it's a waste of time past a certain age. I know middle aged adults who have done some form of airway orthodontics with some level of success. Usually to address mouth breathing and apnea. For sure the earlier you start the better.
Addressing tongue ties in infancy is a good start and could possibly help avoid this entire cascade.
Myobrace when they're little can help avoid crowding as adult teeth come in.
Etc.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:21 pm
amother Aster wrote:

Sounds cool. What exactly do these therapies do to expand the jaw and airway? Like massage kind of stuff? How does it work?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics