Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Unhealthy relationship with money

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:45 pm
I have a very unhealthy relationship with money. I will work myself ragged to earn an extra dollar, and get very anxious after seeing numbers in my bank account dip (because of bills) even tho there's plenty left over. We bh live bery comfortably, so I know things shouldnt be this way. Im probably like this due to childhood trauma related to money.

If you were like this, how did you fix it? Do I have hope changing? I see myself as money hungry, and the constant chase for more is affecting my wellbeing

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:15 pm
I had this. It wasn't that I wasn't spending money- I was- but I was obsessive about it.
I was always talking about prices, and about how much things cost etc etc.
Dumb example- I was out for lunch with some friends and we wanted cheesecake for dessert. I knew that the place down the street had cheesecake for 4$ cheaper so I decided we should pay and go to the other store for dessert.
In my personal case my issues were coming from a place of growing up very wealthy and not needing to worry about anything, to having my own home/finances where money was not unlimited so I needed to figure out my relationship with money.
It got to the point where the people around me thought I needed an outside perspective to deal with it so I actually went to therapy...
The way I worked on it basically, was spending money Smile nothing crazy, but every week I needed to buy something I didn't absolutely need without looking at the price OR buy something I didnt absolutely need.
I also started shopping at a supermarket that was more convenient for me but more expensive than the discount one I was schlepping to.
It took only a couple of weeks to see results.
I'm not perfect, I still opt for the cheaper stuff most of the time. But I'm just not neurotic about it.

The bottom line is that money is from Hashem. Whatever you or I are supposed to have, we will. That attitude is the real game changer.

Good luck!

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:24 pm
Reading list of Money mindset books:

I Will Teach You To Be Rich by Ramit Sethi
We should all be millionaires
Jen sincero
The science of getting rich
Rich as... by Amanda Frances
The Abundance Book by John Randolph Price
The Energy of Money by Maria Nemeth
The soul of money
Thou Shall Prosper
Master Your Money Mind
Creating Money
Get Rich Lucky b****

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 8:24 pm
Simi Mandelbaum is a financial therapist. I’ve watched her on some podcasts and have been impressed by her, and her content on LinkedIn. Maybe reach out to her, this sounds exactly like what she deals with

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 8:40 pm
Is simi a therapist or a financial advisor?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics