Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Another maaser question

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 2:50 am
We have not been able to give maaser for many years. Weve been living month to month and sometimes in debt at the end of the month.
So, I really dont remember the halachos connected to maaser. We hope to be able to do it soon, as things have improved for us.
Can anyone give me the cliff notes of the halachos?

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 6:37 am
10% of your income goes to charity.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 6:40 am
amother Cerulean wrote:
10% of your income goes to charity.

10% of net income. So it can involve somewhat complex calculations, if you don’t both get paid strictly salary.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 7:59 am
amother Brunette wrote:
10% of net income. So it can involve somewhat complex calculations, if you don’t both get paid strictly salary.

Thankfully we both get paid an on the books salary.
Thank you.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 9:11 am
You should AYLOR, bc strictly speaking, this is not halachic maaser. (which doesn't mean it's not important to do if you can, etc. but it's not d'oraisa maaser)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 9:12 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
You should AYLOR, bc strictly speaking, this is not halachic maaser. (which doesn't mean it's not important to do if you can, etc. but it's not d'oraisa maaser)

Wait, are you saying that maaser is not halwcha or what the other posters were explaining is not how maaser is explained?

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 9:24 am
amother OP wrote:
Wait, are you saying that maaser is not halwcha or what the other posters were explaining is not how maaser is explained?

I'm not a rav, but I do know not all rabbonim view maaser as such a strict obligation--because it's not THE maaser described in the chumash. I know of some people who got answers that it's not an obligation at all--certainly if they cannot afford it.

So, I do suggest folks, particularly if they are struggling with maaser, to AYLOR.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 9:30 am
Was taught you deduct your basic living expenses off your salary before maaser. Rent and food for example.

Best to ask your Rav for exact details because different people hold differently

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:00 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Was taught you deduct your basic living expenses off your salary before maaser. Rent and food for example.

Best to ask your Rav for exact details because different people hold differently

I've never heard this. I learned that the only deductions are for work-related expenses - e.g. renting an office, advertising, transit, babysitting so you can work, etc., but not regular household expenses that you'd have even if you weren't working. Do you have a source for this? I know it's a question for my LOR, but I'm curious whether this is the norm - what deductions do others use when making these calculations?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:01 pm
amother OP wrote:

It’s a difference on opinion, but maaser today is midirabbanan. However, it has been accepted by klal Yisrael which makes it an obligation (like Chanukah, Purim, Shabbos candles and other things.)

happy7

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:02 pm
This is an extremely interesting and informative talk on Maaser
https://livingsmarterjewish.or.....p-32/

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:08 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
I've never heard this. I learned that the only deductions are for work-related expenses - e.g. renting an office, advertising, transit, babysitting so you can work, etc., but not regular household expenses that you'd have even if you weren't working. Do you have a source for this? I know it's a question for my LOR, but I'm curious whether this is the norm - what deductions do others use when making these calculations?

My husband deals with this and not me, so I don't know all the details about what is deducted pre-maaser. I know he said rent and I'm pretty sure food. Not sure what else. I can ask him and report back after shabbos.

justforfun87

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:10 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
My husband deals with this and not me, so I don't know all the details about what is deducted pre-maaser. I know he said rent and I'm pretty sure food. Not sure what else. I can ask him and report back after shabbos.

Rent and food? There would be barely anything left to give. :/

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:28 pm
Just pointing out, when I am careful to give maaser every month, somehow our financial situation improves. When we become lax, it becomes tighter.
Who am I to say why, but the Torah does say תעשר בשביל שתתעשר

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:29 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

I was not taught at at all.
Kosher money had a shiur with rabbi Kushner on this topic

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 2:00 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Just pointing out, when I am careful to give maaser every month, somehow our financial situation improves. When we become lax, it becomes tighter.

I've experienced the same. Many times.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 10 2023, 3:13 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:

Even when we were able to give maaser, this never happened to us. How could it? We have always had set salaries, so we know exactly how much we are bringing in every month. Nothing changes. Except expenses go up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics