Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Influencer blocked me
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:33 am
There are a handful of Instagram influencers I follow regularly, mostly frum kosher recipe developers. Occasionally, I will interact and engage with them if I have a question about something they posted, but not much. Recently, I guess I was triggered when a very young influencer posted about her child's first birthday party and she said, "Don't mind the decor. The ugly chairs don't match." She was referring to expensive classic traditional European dining room chairs that were very popular about ten years ago in heimishe furniture stores that many kallos purchased- but being that they are classics, are still available today and will still be sold in twenty years. I replaced my dining room chairs to this style about 7 years ago and I absolutely love them. They are not modern decor but as I said, a classic. Similar to this look https://www.aliexpress.com/ite.....html.

I politely messaged her, asking her why she would call it ugly and why she would invest so much money on furniture that she doesn't like, and nicely suggesting that she reword it to say it's not her taste. Next thing I knew, I was blocked. I think it's a chutzpah and very immature of her. What do you think?

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:36 am
I think you were out of line. She doesn’t have to like her chairs and can mention it doesn’t match if it bothers her. You came across as meddling and controlling.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:38 am
Maybe she's overeacting by blocking you but I also don't understand why you felt the need to comment on her comment. It was just a silly comment, she obviously doesn't like those chairs too much and if they are not quite in, might be embarrassed about them. Are you offended that she doesn't like them?

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:39 am
If you want my honest opinion, both of you could have done better.

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:41 am
In real life would you say that to her? Only if you knew her. Not as small talk. But you don't, which is what makes IG so psychologically tricky, it's a parasocial relationship. Imagine being her and simply saying something and having to receive tons of messages from people who disagree with every word you write. In real life it may be a conversation starter (although kind of a rude one), online it's really draining and honestly annoying. And that's why the block feature exists. Although that's a little extreme, I'd just ignore it.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:44 am
I’m far from an influencer, but I would be annoyed by followers who appointed themselves my content/wording police. I would probably block someone who did it a few times. You are welcome to follow other accounts. Her thoughts don’t reflect on you.

hodeez

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:46 am
I think you both are wasting your time

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:46 am
Part of the territory of being an influencer is accepting that you'll get comments you may not like and dealing with it. Blocking people left and right when they make comments you don't like smacks of dictatorship and arrogance, almost like a king's "Off with your head!"

Yes, I was offended at her comment, and tried to bring it up with her. Instead of her communicating because she was obviously offended, she shut me up.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:47 am
amother Lavender wrote:
I’m far from an influencer, but I would be annoyed by followers who appointed themselves my content/wording police. I would probably block someone who did it a few times. You are welcome to follow other accounts. Her thoughts don’t reflect on you.

As you said, A FEW TIMES. This was the first and only time I ever said anything like this to any influencer- and it wasn't a nasty comment at all.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:48 am
amother OP wrote:
Part of the territory of being an influencer is accepting that you'll get comments you may not like and dealing with it. Blocking people left and right when they make comments you don't like smacks of dictatorship and arrogance, almost like a king's "Off with your head!"

Yes, I was offended at her comment, and tried to bring it up with her. Instead of her communicating because she was obviously offended, she shut me up.

Why do you care so much??? Instagram is not really life. She's being stupid and so are you.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:49 am
She sounds insecure by needing to point out that her chairs were ugly, but influencers say stupid things most of time. It’s not a place to get triggered and if it is triggering for you, you can leave on your own or ignore it.

iyar

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:50 am
hodeez wrote:
I think you both are wasting your time

I don’t understand why this comment only has two likes.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:50 am
iyar wrote:
I don’t understand why this comment only has two likes.

It was literally posted 4 mins ago. Give this thread time.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:51 am
amother OP wrote:
As you said, A FEW TIMES. This was the first and only time I ever said anything like this to any influencer- and it wasn't a nasty comment at all.

Being offended at her comment about her own chairs is kind of interesting. And I’m not her, so I don’t know her reasoning. But being the word police is a problem.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:54 am
amother OP wrote:

Na. Influencers are there for one reason - to sell something. If you’re going to turn yourself into a hard to please customer they will block you.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:54 am
amother OP wrote:

It’s a free country anyone who doesn’t want to hear from you can block you. If you think it’s a dictatorship for someone to not be available to your criticism on social media I think you need therapy learning to let go and understanding no one owes you anything.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:55 am
Being the word police is similar to being the tznuit police. Would you like it if someone came up to you and said your hemline or neckline is all wrong?

Or are you afraid that ppl you know IRL also follow this influencer and now will think you have the same "ugly" dining room chairs that the influencer has?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:56 am
amother OP wrote:

Part of the territory of being a follower is accepting that you may be blocked.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:57 am
If your best friend, who knows you have that dining set, would comment how ugly her dining set is- And her set is the same as yours- Then maybe I hear how thats insulting

The influencer does not know you. She doesn't know you have that dining set too. Its pretty overboard to get offended in this scenario

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:59 am
Influencers live with their heads in the very fluffy clouds. Just like politicians.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics