Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
If you have successfully fermented beets
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 22 2023, 7:47 pm
please can you suggest some tips.

I have tried beets from countless diff stores. tried boiled cooled water, distilled, store bought spring water,
more salt, less salt, mixing every day, use2 g salt per cup water.

always the same results. beets start turning like a moldy white and thick, frothy, white foam on top that smells like mold/fungi...

please can you link the jar and lid you use...I use a fido jar with airlock

https://traditionalcookingscho.....jars/

maybe there is better out there.

I am also looking for a non expensive water filter - like brita but not sure how effective it is to remove what needs to be removed for fermenting.

any other tips would be appreciated.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sat, Jul 22 2023, 9:58 pm
I use organic beets and regular filtered water. I only add salt. You need to make sure the beets stay fully covered under water. This may mean you meed a weight or something to keep it down…
You also would be best off with those new fool proof fermenting lids from amazon

amother
Stonewash

Post Sat, Jul 22 2023, 11:16 pm
I get the best results when I use a regular mason jar without an airlock. I also add slices of lemon which prevents the foamy stuff to form at the top. I use regulat beets which I scrub well and use filtered water. If I do it without the lemon, I remove the foam at the top every day and after a week or so it no longer forms

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:31 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I use organic beets and regular filtered water. I only add salt. You need to make sure the beets stay fully covered under water. This may mean you meed a weight or something to keep it down…
You also would be best off with those new fool proof fermenting lids from amazon

I use organic beets. the beets are very well covered by water. I filla 1/3 jar and the they all sit at the bottom and water covers really well.

could link the fermenting lids from amazon?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:32 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
I get the best results when I use a regular mason jar without an airlock. I also add slices of lemon which prevents the foamy stuff to form at the top. I use regulat beets which I scrub well and use filtered water. If I do it without the lemon, I remove the foam at the top every day and after a week or so it no longer forms

do you use salt?

how many lemon slices to a 2 litre jar with a 1/3 full beets?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:33 am
which filter is best to get to filter water? I cant afford a proper installed filter....just need something to remove
Chlorine, Chloramine,

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:34 am
amother Stonewash wrote:

you dont peel the beets?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 7:26 am
amother Stonewash wrote:

I think I will try fermenting without a airlock. it might be the culprit.

but I am afraid it will explode do you have to open it every day to burp?

I have the fido jar with the rubber band on the lid and it clamps shut. I read that gas manages to escape this way and no air gets in and dont need to burp. is this what you have?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 9:53 am
I have fermented beets many many times successfully.
I use regular beets, not organic with filtered or distilled water and sea salt- 2grams salt per cup water. I use a fido jar with an airlock.
Sometimes it gets foamy on top, that is not necessarily mold. Spoon it off, close the lid. If you see it again, take it off again. The rest should still be fine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 10:05 am
amother Orange wrote:
I use regular beets, not organic with filtered or distilled water and sea salt- 2grams salt per cup water. I use a fido jar with an airlock.
Sometimes it gets foamy on top, that is not necessarily mold. Spoon it off, close the lid. If you see it again, take it off again. The rest should still be fine.

I know the foam you are talking about. its the natural process that happens after a couple days. small bubbles on top. the liquid still smells like beets.

I get something diff. its not the regular foam I should be getting as part of the process.

I get thick thick white smelling foam. its smells mould, fungi, yeasty and the beets are white.

which airlock do you use?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 10:41 am
amother Orange wrote:

do you have a installed filter?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 4:15 pm
any more tips?

synthy

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 4:27 pm
Maybe your room is too hot? My mom makes borscht and it gets moldy if the temp isn’t right.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 5:09 pm
synthy wrote:
Maybe your room is too hot? My mom makes borscht and it gets moldy if the temp isn’t right.

no. my room is very normal temperature.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 5:10 pm
synthy wrote:

does she use a airlock?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 5:15 pm
I use regular mason jars with the fermenting lid so there is no burping. I peel the beets. Water covers the beets fully. Usually have no issues. I also make homemade pickles the same way and tastes great.
If room is too hot it would just ferment faster. It wouldn't be the reason why it would become moldy. But the top is supposed to get that moldy look. U scrape it if off. So long as the beets are covered by water and the water isnt moldy.

We use the berkey above counter filter. I know many ppl are happy with it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 5:17 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I use regular mason jars with the fermenting lid so there is no burping. I peel the beets. Water covers the beets fully. Usually have no issues. I also make homemade pickles the same way and tastes great.
If room is too hot it would just ferment faster. It wouldn't be the reason why it would become moldy. But the top is supposed to get that moldy look. U scrape it if off. So long as the beets are covered by water and the water isnt moldy.

which fermenting lid do you use? maybe the one I have is the issue.

could you link?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 7:30 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:

sorry to bother again. just wondering which fool proof airlock you use.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 4:13 pm
amother snow drop - please can you advise which lids you use?

the pickl-it?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 4:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know the foam you are talking about. its the natural process that happens after a couple days. small bubbles on top. the liquid still smells like beets.

I get something diff. its not the regular foam I should be getting as part of the process.

I get thick thick white smelling foam. its smells mould, fungi, yeasty and the beets are white.

which airlock do you use?

I use the pickl it airlock. I find it works well for me.
We have an installed, though movable, filter. It's the atla filter. I think it was around $500 and around $120 annually to change the filter. For my family, this is a lot cheaper than bottled water.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics