Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How often does it happen you regret a purchase

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 8:48 pm
I bought a skirt a month ago for summer. I realize over the past few weeks that this skirt just doesn’t look good on me. So it’s 50$ down the drain. Can’t return or alter. This type of thing happens to m about one time a year where I but something only to realize after wearing it a couple of times that it doesn’t look good. I feel guilty and stupid.

Does this happen only to me? I feel this is such a waste of money. Do others use all the clothes they buy? how often does this happen to you?

amother
Outerspace

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 8:58 pm
It happens to me about twice a year. I try not to spend too much on items so a skirt here or there is not terrible. When I look at it I'm reminded of the money loss and it feels awful so I try to get rid of it quickly and give it to someone who can use it.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 10:02 pm
Too often and it makes shopping really stressful.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 10:09 pm
It happens a lot to me, probably with 2-3 items a season, with myself and my kids. I make impulse purchases. It’s something I’m trying to work on.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 10:13 pm
Consider how much more time you’d need to spend shopping in order to be sure you’re only buying all perfect stuff, and the monetary value of that amount of your time.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 10:21 pm
It happens to me very often. The result is that I don’t put too much effort into what I wear because no matter how much time I spend I usually regret. Except for a gown for a one time event- then I’ve been happy

amother
Wallflower

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 11:03 pm
It used to happen to me when I was a teenager until I realized that if I really love every item when I buy it, then I won’t regret it. I happen to be a great shopper, id even call it a talent of mine, and I am very good at only buying things I love love love
For both myself and my kids
I will sometimes spend more on something, but it’s worth it if its something I’ll love

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 11:14 pm
It happens. It's a normal part of life. People make mistakes. Or they make good choices for the moment but then they aren't as good.
I once bought a very nice $120 skirt that's all year round pairs with many styles and types of tops and blouses. Elegant yet can be worn everyday too.
But after a few uses I saw that the way it sits in my kids are unflattering.
I still have it in my closet becuase it's a classic, doesnt take up much space (and I havr extra space) and maybe I'll loose the extra lbs one day and it'll look nicer.
(I've since purchased a similar skirt same color a drop different shape/style but vert similar and that's actually very flattering. Absolutely love it. If I hadn't bought the first I probably wouldn't have bought the second one.... )

Other more expensive things that I enjoyed a few times, my body changed and I could no longer use it. Or the color or it looked nicer in the store lighting but out in the sun or regular house lighting it looks bad....
Stuff happens. You try to learn from those mistakes for next time and then you move on. Life's too short to dwell on these things.

DustyDiamonds

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 11:18 pm
It happens to everyone!

Expecting perfecting from any physical endeavor is futile.

How often do you try a new brand of food, nobody likes it, money down the drain. How often do you buy a melon, cut it and find that it’s rotten.

It’s part of life.

I tend to order clothing online and have the attitude that the return shipping is a fraction of the cost and effort of shlepping to stores. I have no problem ordering 10 things for myself and returning 8-10 of them. So I leisurely try things on and take a few days to make a good decision.

But sometimes, only after wearing something a few times, do I realize that it’s uncomfortable… like the pretty dress I wore today, not sure if I’ll get much use out of it, although it was a great deal and looks fabulous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics