Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Ebt question
1  2  Next

Do you use up your ebt balance each month?
I have just the right amount on my card  
 2%  [ 1 ]
I have extra each month  
 16%  [ 7 ]
I need to pay out of pocket a lot  
 60%  [ 26 ]
Each month is different  
 20%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 43

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 7:45 am
Do you use up your balance each month? Do you need to pay out of pocket for the rest of your groceries or its just the right amount?
I just got my card refilled 2 weeks ago and only have $30 left Surprised

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 7:47 am
How much do you get?

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 7:50 am
I still have tons extra from covid, but am now using more than I am currently getting each month so balance is slowly dropping

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 8:33 am
I get 970 a month it's already done

amother
Brickred

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:18 am
amother OP wrote:

Family of?

I'm a family of 4 and get 5 something a month. Can't remember exactly how much.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:20 am
It's a sliding scale based on both income and family size

How many ppl are in your home?

amother
Wandflower

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:30 am
Family of 13 Kah including parents. I get aprox $1500. It's by far not enough. It comes out to aprox $375 a week. You can't feed 13 eaters on $375 a week. We have shabbos. Shabbos foods cost $$$

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:42 am
How are you all getting this??
I got I think $130 on just one card a couple months ago, and it wasn’t refilled. And I have a good few kids in school.
Are you in NY?
Does this not apply in NJ?

ETA: We have low income, by any standards.
But do you need to qualify for food stamps to get these amounts? Thanks

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:44 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
How are you all getting this??
I got I think $130 on just one card a couple months ago, and it wasn’t refilled. And I have a good few kids in school.
Are you in NY?
Does this not apply in NJ?
You need to apply for food stamps. Nothing to do with kids in school.

OP now that the Covid extensions are over the amount you get depends on your income. I’m 9th getting a few hundred a month. It runs out fast.

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:46 am
amother Steelblue wrote:
You need to apply for food stamps. Nothing to do with kids in school.

OP now that the Covid extensions are over the amount you get depends on your income. I’m 9th getting a few hundred a month. It runs out fast.

Okay, I was just asking if this is food stamps, as you were replying. Thanks for clarifying.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 10:59 am
amother Brickred wrote:
Family of?

I'm a family of 4 and get 5 something a month. Can't remember exactly how much.

Family of 4 BH

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:03 am
amother OP wrote:

We probably spend around that much for family of 7 monthly.

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:03 am
We spend carefully so that we accumulate a lot of extra and that way we’re able to cover tishrei and Pesach
We regularly eat beans or tofu for supper

amother
Daffodil

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:05 am
Wow consider yourselves lucky. Our income is right above the eligibility threshold, thus making us pay all groceries on our own.

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:08 am
amother OP wrote:
Family of 4 BH

OP, if you are a (relatively small) family of 4, make little enough to qualify for food stamps, and have still spent $950 on food in just two weeks, which means you spend approx $1k/month on food in addition to your food stamps…. You probably want to revamp your spending habits.

$2k/month on food for your family size and income is irresponsible. Unless there are factors I’m not aware of.

I have a family of 5 and spend about $1,100/month, we have plenty of food. I’m happy to give you some grocery buying tips if you want.

amother
Brickred

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Family of 4 BH

Wow! How do u get so much? R u in ny?

amother
Sage

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:34 am
amother Catmint wrote:
OP, if you are a (relatively small) family of 4, make little enough to qualify for food stamps, and have still spent $950 on food in just two weeks, which means you spend approx $1k/month on food in addition to your food stamps…. You probably want to revamp your spending habits.

$2k/month on food for your family size and income is irresponsible. Unless there are factors I’m not aware of.

I have a family of 5 and spend about $1,100/month, we have plenty of food. I’m happy to give you some grocery buying tips if you want.

I’d love tips that don’t include
1) shopping Costco, Aldi etc cause they ain’t local
2) allow for chicken during the week - my family won’t eat beans and tofu
3) don’t include processed junk food

Same family size, similar monthly food budget

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 12:42 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Wow consider yourselves lucky. Our income is right above the eligibility threshold, thus making us pay all groceries on our own.
That’s not how it works because with food stamps you are expected to pay 30% of your income on food and ebt will pay the rest, of what they think you should be spending per month. Consider how much 30% of your income would be if you were just below the threshold and then check what the max amount is for your family size. You’d be getting pennies from them.

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 12:49 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
Family of 13 Kah including parents. I get aprox $1500. It's by far not enough. It comes out to aprox $375 a week. You can't feed 13 eaters on $375 a week. We have shabbos. Shabbos foods cost $$$

Food snaps is supplemental. It was never intended to be the sole means by which to feed your family.

People also forget that government assistance such as food stamps, WIC, EBT was never meant to be a way of life, it was always supposed to be a stop gap.

I think big families are beautiful and you’re very fortunate to have 11 children! But we cannot feel so comfortable in this country to expect the government to fund the frum outlook on family size and shabbos meals.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 1:16 pm
Op that’s an insane amount to spend in 2 weeks. You can be eating meat and chicken every night for supper while spending that amount . I know bec I bh do!
Plus if you qualify for ebt and have you g kids, you qualify for wic , so you are also getting cheese, milk , juice , yogurt, cereal, bread , fruits and vegetables etc
I’m literally in shock that you spend so much on food a month.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics