Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Maaser

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:33 am
I would very much like to start giving Maaser.

Can you share where we give your Mauser?

In general, I am wary of giving to large organizations who I think just pocket the $.

Dh isn't on board but I would like to do it with my earnings (which is more than his actually..)

For example, does RCCS and Bonei Olam count? (I do know people who were personally helped by them so I would consider those)

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:39 am
amother OP wrote:
I would very much like to start giving Maaser.

Can you share where we give your Mauser?

In general, I am wary of giving to large organizations who I think just pocket the $.

Dh isn't on board but I would like to do it with my earnings (which is more than his actually..)

For example, does RCCS and Bonei Olam count? (I do know people who were personally helped by them so I would consider those)

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Sure it counts.
Personally I give mine to my bil that's in Kollel and struggling

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 12:15 pm
I give to various tzedakos, to a family member that is having a hard time, to a friend that needs help paying tuition. All of those count.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 12:33 pm
I am not a fan of giving to organizations. I give to a local friend with a husband in Kollel and is marrying off kids. I'd give to family if it were relevant.

I will occasionally give to an organization but only ones that mean something to me. The only advantage of giving to orgs is the tax receipt.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 1:09 pm
A poor relative comes before anyone else in hilchos tzedaka - doesn't matter if it's a parent, sibling, child.
Definitely start there.

After that, organizations that you know that are very ehrlich. My husband gives a lot to his shul rabbi - he is the real deal.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 1:22 pm
I give to hachnosas kallah for my son’s rebbeim, kollel chabad in Israel, to Chevi Shabbos among others

scintilla

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 1:47 pm
Are you looking for suggestions of where to give? I can give you a few organizations I have seen close up where there is very little to no "bloat" and they are doing truly amazing work:

Zisel's Links/Shloime's club - they do incredible work with anyone who has lost a parent especially children
Keren Simchas Chosson vKallah (KSCVK) - help needy couples get married with dignity. The founder very recently lost her husband quite young so any donations that means she doesn't have to fundraise so hard during this time is especially meaningful imo.
Charityforisrael. Com - I've seen this one first hand, they do very special things

I've also heard wonderful things about Bonei Olam and Colel Chabad in Israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics