Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Allow movies on flight to Eretz Yisroel?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:18 pm
We will be taking our children for the first time on a trip to EY beH and DH and I are of different opinions regarding movies on the flight. At home we only watch movies on rare occasions (vacation, etc.). DH thinks the kids will go crazy on such a long flight if we don't allow them to watch movies, but I think it is important to instill in them the chashivus of such a trip and how EY is not an ordinary place, we need to be more careful about our behavior on such a trip, etc.

Curious to hear others thoughts...

Success10

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:20 pm
Why would the trip be less chashuv if you allow clean videos?

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:22 pm
I don’t think you *need* the movies to keep the kids occupied but it definitely makes things easier. So it’s a matter of how important it is to you.
Also make sure there are controls. Some flights have everything accessible to the kids.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:23 pm
Can you only allow Jewish ones?

amother
OP

amother Orchid wrote:
Can you only allow Jewish ones?

Do they have Jewish ones? We are flying El Al... that would be nice!

amother
Peony

its a verrryyy long flight.

it can only work if you come super prepared with games and (TONS of) food.

that being said.. maybe instead limit your kids to one or two per flight.. and only after you approve?

I fly all the time with very little children and no screens at all - its diff bec theyre little but the idea is the same that you have to provide alternative options.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do they have Jewish ones? We are flying El Al... that would be nice!

yes el al does have jewish videos! there are also game options and chat options btw

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:25 pm
amother Peony wrote:
yes el al does have jewish videos! there are also game options and chat options btw

Oh great! Ok hopefully those will be enough to keep them entertained, thank you!

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:26 pm
No brainer to me. Absolute yes to the movies. Too long a flight and boredom
Can too easily lead to kids fighting and that will not add to chashivus of trip.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
We will be taking our children for the first time on a trip to EY beH and DH and I are of different opinions regarding movies on the flight. At home we only watch movies on rare occasions (vacation, etc.). DH thinks the kids will go crazy on such a long flight if we don't allow them to watch movies, but I think it is important to instill in them the chashivus of such a trip and how EY is not an ordinary place, we need to be more careful about our behavior on such a trip, etc.

Curious to hear others thoughts...

I agree with you OP!! Doesn't mean it won't take more planning and creativity but it's definitely a worthy investment for their chinuch.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:35 pm
We will also be flying overseas with kids in a few months and dh and I had the same conversation. We are planning to try without movies. Do you have any handheld electronic games? It might be worthwhile to invest in some for the fight. I would rather my kids play with that than start with the screens on the plane.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:58 pm
We paid for toveedo and downloaded videos on a tablet. Kids shared with a splitter for headphones. I don’t think my kids would have learned anything from telling them they couldn’t watch at all. We’re not watching at the kosel we’re watching on a long and challenging plane ride. There’s very little to do that really entertains and I wanted to mitigate everyone’s frustrations. We also ended up with an extreme delay and having this as an option in the airport was a lifesaver.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:01 pm
If you're concerned about the movie options on the in flight system, get some cheap tablets and headphones and load them with programs of your choosing. But yes, you should allow screens. It's a long trip, and you have to think of the well being of the other passengers who want your kids to be quiet.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:03 pm
I would bring my own device if I let watching. But if u take a night flight and they can sleep through most- you dont need the movie. Books /crafts/ games and snacks will do it. But prepare to be referee w your antsy children.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:06 pm
Just want you to know, that when I flew to Israel I couldn't watch videos. So instead I ended up watching some of the video on the person in front of me's screen through the crack of the seat. And let's just say it wasn't always the cleanest.

Be aware of that possibility. And consider whether a carefully chosen video might be better.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:07 pm
What ages are they? We always got a new book each for the journey, and that was it.

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:13 pm
El Al has a bunch of Torah Live videos. There are also a bunch of kids cartoons that you can look through and decide. And yes, there are games. And there are audio shiurim. There is a way to go to a portal that is all kids stuff, but that doesn't mean you'd be ok with all of it.

I agree that to really control content, get a tablet and download things in advance.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
At home we only watch movies on rare occasions (vacation, etc.).

Isn't a trip to E"Y also a special occasion?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:27 pm
Personally I don’t see the difference between a regular vacation if you normally would let. I understand not letting them watch once you’re there because it’s much holier than anywhere else, obviously. But it’s not like the hours on an airplane over random airspace/oceans is holy or chashiv

Let them watch till you get there

I also agree with the poster who said no movies might lead to watching neighbors screen. As someone who watches inappropriate movies on planes, and has seen others as well, you definitely want to keep them distracted with their own screens

kugelEater

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:20 pm
I flew El Al very recently, and they had all of the Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation videos. It was a drop complicating to find but there is enough material there for the entire flight.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics