Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Airline money traps
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:38 pm
As someone who has occcasion to travel every now and then, I have come across some airline practices that are really money traps.

This is the thread to warn others about traps you may fall into:

1. FRONTIER AIRLINES will charge you $25 per ticket to print at the airport.
This is something that most other airlines will do for free.
If you have a smartphone, you can use the bar code on you phone.
You can also print the tickets at home.
But my daughter and son in law (who have no internet access at home) arrived at the airport expecting to print their tickets, were forced to pay $50 in order to receive their boarding passes.

2. SPIRIT AIRLINES charges different amounts for a carry-on, depending on the route, instead of one price accross all their flights. So if you paid $35 for a carry-on in one direction, you may need to pay $75 on the return. Even if you buy the carry-on at the time of booking.
Also- most people know this, it's more expensive to add the bag at the airport than it is online.

3. UNITED AIRLINES basic economy will not allow you to add a carry-on (for any price).. If you arrive at the airport expecting to pay for the carry-on, they will make you check it in if you have a basic economy ticket.

4. This is not a specific airline, but I recently was approached by an agent asking if I would like a trial Clear membership. She said the trial membership is free for thirty days.
However, I checked my account, they charged me after only 14 days. I did call them to cancel and received a refund. But don't rely on what people tell you. Always check what it says in print.

Please add your own tips or money traps relating to Airlines and travel.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:42 pm
Regarding United Airlines, it's not true. We fly united alot & are always able to take a carry on & personal bag. They sometimes don't have enough room in the overhead compartments for all carry on's, so they ask for volunteers to gate check their carry on for free.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
Regarding United Airlines, it's not true. We fly united alot & are always able to take a carry on & personal bag. They sometimes don't have enough room in the overhead compartments for all carry on's, so they ask for volunteers to gate check their carry on for free.

It depends on the ticket you buy.
They have 3 tiers.
The basic economy doesn't allow you to add a carryon.
For another $30, you can buy the upgraded ticket which allows for a carryon.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
It depends on the ticket you buy.
They have 3 tiers.
The basic economy doesn't allow you to add a carryon.
For another $30, you can buy the upgraded ticket which allows for a carryon.

We always buy basic economy & never had an issue regarding a carry on & personal bag.

busy mommy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:55 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
We always buy basic economy & never had an issue regarding a carry on & personal bag.

This has been the rules and my experience.

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:58 pm
We recently flew with Frontier and were not charged for printing boarding passes in the airport

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:02 pm
busy mommy wrote:

We book through priceline. Cheapest options.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:16 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
We book through priceline. Cheapest options.

Your'e wrong. I just tried booking on priceline, cheapest option- basic economy, and it says on bottom 'carry on bag- not included'

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:26 pm
I speak as a travel agent: Read the fine print and conditions *carefully* or it may cost you a pretty penny.

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:45 pm
amother Poppy wrote:

Do you buy with a United card? Then it’s included.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:52 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
Do you buy with a United card? Then it’s included.

No

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:53 pm
I think it also depends on the destination / how far you are travelling on what is included in the ticket. Then again, they may change ticketing conditions on day/flight basis. I dont travel often, but have booked a few different tickets recently, each with different conditions.
Always read the fine print and never assume.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:05 pm
amother Clear wrote:
We recently flew with Frontier and were not charged for printing boarding passes in the airport

How recent? My daughter and sil flew last week . They were charged $25 per ticket. I wonder if it's a new rule.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:08 pm

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:10 pm
Maybe it depends on the actual airport. Also was this before security or after? Usually you can print them yourself by the kiosk when you get to the airport.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:15 pm
busy mommy wrote:

Yup same. And we fly often.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:53 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
Maybe it depends on the actual airport. Also was this before security or after? Usually you can print them yourself by the kiosk when you get to the airport.

I'm pretty sure this is Frontier's policy, as per their website. (If you have a smartphone or print boarding passes at home, this doesn't apply to you and you may never have realized it. )

My daughter said she arrived at the airport, the kiosk was closed. She asked an agent and was told that they could only print luggage passes, but they would need to print the actual boarding passes only at the gate desk.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:57 pm
I find airlines to be pretty transparent at booking as to what is or is not included. If you read everything at booking you should be ok.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 4:23 pm
My sister paid $175 to print 7 boarding passes. She was outraged. Of course she told me the story after. I told her I could’ve screen shot her board pass code and sent it to her and she could’ve have them scan her kosher phone.
Also she paid more for her luggage than her ticket…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 4:28 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
My sister paid $175 to print 7 boarding passes. She was outraged. Of course she told me the story after. I told her I could’ve screen shot her board pass code and sent it to her and she could’ve have them scan her kosher phone.
Also she paid more for her luggage than her ticket…

What airline was this?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics