Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
10mo keeps SHOUTING

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 3:05 am
How do you cope with a baby that just shouts all the time - I don't mean kvetching or crying, but loud and frustrated 'ahhh, ahhhh, ahhhh'!!!!
It's driving me crazy!!!! Keeps happening on and off for months! In the past he's been tight, and going to an osteo helped but this time nada. I can't keep giving pain relief 'just in case' but it's killing me! I've got other little kids to deal with and I don't know what he wants/needs!
It's especially an issue from 4pm-6.30 bedtime.
His schedule is:
Anywhere btwn 6-7am - wakeup
7.30 - full bottle
8.30/45 - breakfast
9/9.30 - nap
10 - wakeup and snacks/lunch over next 3 hours
1/1.30 - full bottle and nap
3/3.30 - wakeup
This is the point where it all goes haywire. He doesn't want to eat much after this nap. From about 4.30 I try to offer dinner which he'll sometimes eat, sometimes refuse. A bottle at this time is usually refused. We try to eat dinner as a family at 5pm and he tends to shout through it (which is why I try to offer his to him just before, so he's full) - whether he's at the table with food or playing on the floor with toys. Bathtime is afterwards, which he loves, but once he's out and dressed it starts all over again.
6.30ish - full bottle and bed
He doesn't sleep through the night, usually has 2 wakes. Lately he often wakes between 1-2am and again after 5am, but really he's totally unpredictable. I give him very diluted bottles during the night.

Any insights???

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 3:12 am
Overstimulation?
Something he's having in his bottles or food that's bothering him?
What do you mean by shouting? Crying/screaming? Grunting? How does a 10 mo shout? I'm trying to understand.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 3:39 am
amother Viola wrote:
Overstimulation?
Something he's having in his bottles or food that's bothering him?
What do you mean by shouting? Crying/screaming? Grunting? How does a 10 mo shout? I'm trying to understand.

I wish I could send a voice note!!! It's not crying, whining or grunting. It's loud and in your face. Maybe like whining on steroids and set 10 times as loud!
I don't think he's overstimulated, he doesn't get like this at daycare, which I imagine is far more stimulating. I wouldn't have a clue if it's something in his food, he hasn't shown signs of food reactions? And it goes on for days at a time, but then can stop for a bit of time too... And his diet isn't soooo diverse that he'd be yes or no eating a bothersome food...

salt

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 3:43 am
Maybe he's just trying to shout above the voices of everyone else and get heard.
Do you have a noisy household in general - not that there's anything wrong with that, if there are several little kids things are usually noisy, just asking.

Have you ever had an afternoon/evening without the other kids - not sure how that would be
possible, but you could try it as an experiment - get DH or a babysitter to take the other kids out to something for a couple of hours in the evening, have the house quiet and calm and lights dim, and see how he behaves.
If you see he behaves differently, and craves the quiet and the personal attention, you can work from there, and see what you can do about it.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 4:53 am
Take him to your pediatrician and have the dr feel his stomachs, intestines with his hands to make sure everything is ok
How are his diapers?
Is there mucus inside them?
What color is his poop

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:34 am
Does he like loud noises in general? Is it sensory auditory seeking behavior?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:11 am
Shouting like he's upset?
Shouting like he's excited?

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:15 am
My baby went through this stage at about 13 months. Bh he stopped by now. I think he did it when he had fluid in his ears, that eventually turned into ear infections (and he was teething). He only stopped doing it when his ears cleared up... I think he did it because it was annoying him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics