Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Poll-How do you really feel about Purim

How do you really feel about Purim?
I love it-favorite day so much fun and my chance to shine  
 14%  [ 18 ]
I enjoy but glad it is only once a year  
 51%  [ 62 ]
Take or leave-it is what it is  
 11%  [ 14 ]
Dislike, but it’s better than Yom Kippur-at least I can eat.  
 10%  [ 13 ]
Dislike tremendously-so much social pressure. Makes me or my kids feel insecure and bad about ourselves  
 11%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 121

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 1:25 pm
Feel free to brag or vent. Anonymous sounding board. We are here for you.

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 1:27 pm
I voted, enjoy but glad it's only once a year.
I hear such elevated things about the day I wish I had time and headspace to daven and ask Hashem for the geula and a million other things. as a mom with a few little kids this is a pipedream.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 1:50 pm
My utterly fave, or used to be before COVID which put an end to a local women's chagiga. The party featured costumes, nearly all homemade, and hilarious yet often lomdish purimspiels. That's all history now.

Running around delivering MM on foot is getting old since I no longer have kids at home to send and have to do it myself. I make a costume to wear at home to open the door but I'm no longer comfortable walking around outside in costume. Last year I went to shul in costume and was the only woman over college age with so much as a funny hat. Probably not going to go into costume this year even though I worked many days making it. Our kids live too far away to come for just a day.

Fortunately we were invited to a small seudah, just a few couples but it'll be enjoyable. We like the people and some are very funny even when it's not Purim. I will def be in costume for this.

But I don't think I ever expected Purim to be 30 hours of nonstop hilarity. Our seudas are quiet, not raucous affairs. Our shul usually has a party but I've never gone because it's targeted to a different demographic. So Purim is still my favorite holiday but may not be much longer.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 1:55 pm
I voted the last one. It’s totally my fault, I live in a place with low standards and could send whatever SM I want, but somehow I can’t let go of the internal pressure to make something nice. There’s also the costumes and cooking for the seuda, plus I tend to work last minute no matter how much I try to plan in advance. So it ends up being super stressful every year.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 1:59 pm
It was always my favorite and I love preparing for it but I dislike the actual day .

The satan comes in hot and heavy with all the Debbie downers in my family and the day I once loved is a day I tend to feel very alone and depressed . But it wasn’t always this way. It’s gotten this way as the kids got older .

Goody2shoes

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 2:01 pm
I love structure and routine and Purim is anything but that. I end up with a huge headache and a bad mood somewhere in the middle of the day. DH isn't around much, he's off partying or collecting for whichever cause, the family purim seudos are loud and rowdy.
At the end of the day I'm in full overloaded sensory mode. Hard all around.

I'd actually take YK anytime over Purim. It's hard cuz it's a fast day but it's neat and organized.

effess

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 4:30 pm
Too short.
I need 8 days for Purim!

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 4:47 pm
I feel like the way people do it is a missed opportunity for something great. A Purim of megillah, giving, dancing, music, festive meals, drinking within reason, that would be so much better than a Purim of sitting in a car making rounds at 1 MPH (it would be faster to walk, but the MM is in the trunk of the car), or a day of running around. I've limited the amount of travel I'm willing to do. I wish people would agree to do obligatory MM on Purim but allow social MM to extend a little after Purim or start before Purim, so we can reduce Purim traffic and let people actually experience the day.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:34 pm
I have emetophobia which is a phobia of vomiting, so I’m petrified of all the drunk people. I used to hate Purim as a child.
Now it isn’t so bad but I try not to leave my house on Purim. Besides for it’s such a fun lovely happy day.
We live far from family so we make our own little seuda (my kids are little so no drama yet ) and give mm to some neighbors and friends… Then we all go to sleep early !

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:04 pm
I get major sensory overload, I'm an introvert and it's way too much socializing, and I absolutely hate being forced to feel/ act happy. I can't really skip any of those without ruining it for my dh and kids so I suck it up but it's just a notch above yom Kippur for me.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:25 pm
I voted dislike.

We don't have any family nearby. Our shul stopped making a purim seuda years ago.
I host a small family for Purim night. Purim day I am busy dealing with my drunk boys.

Dh complains all Purim how boring it is. He doesn't do anything to make it fun. He sleeps all day, I drag him out when his friends come to visit.

Dh would love to go to his parents in a different town for Purim day. I have told him that he can go, but I can't leave my boys behind. Last year one of my boys wasn't responsible and I had to pick him off the floor from a random house. Dh slept through it all.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:27 pm
I keep it simple. That helps. And my husband doesn't believe in getting drunk which also helps. I hate drunk people. I only wish megillah was just once.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:37 pm
My father passed away a few days before Purim when I was 18, and I haven't been able to disentangle Purim from grief yet. If I make it to both megillahs and don't cry that's a victory.
I also haven't figured out what to do/where to go since getting married and moving away from friends and family.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:51 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
I get major sensory overload, I'm an introvert and it's way too much socializing, and I absolutely hate being forced to feel/ act happy. I can't really skip any of those without ruining it for my dh and kids so I suck it up but it's just a notch above yom Kippur for me.

Also this! I forgot about all it!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:53 pm
Loved it before I was married, now I hate seeing my husband drunk. Not that he’s a bad drunk, but he’s just so not himself and it scares me. And I’m basically on my own to take care of kids and driving them everywhere they need to go

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:01 pm
I don’t understand the social pressure on Purim concept at all. And I live in town.

UQT

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:05 pm
Love, love purim! Call me a little kid. Love seeing friends and acquaintances through out the day. Love the creativity. Love the joy of the kids. Love watching my quiet son get drunk and hear what he really thinks! Love the family get together at the end of the day.
Don’t appreciate the mess but it’s one day and we anyways alway clean for the next thirty so why not let go a little bit?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:06 pm
It’s not about my shining. But I love the day

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:42 pm
I am in general a big proponent of troubleshooting to make things work for YOU.

I still haven't figured out how to make Purim work for me. And I've really tried.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:53 pm
I hate Purim! The loud music is so overwhelming. I have a phobia of people vomiting, so I hate being around drunk people. My heart beats so fast and I go into fight or flight when a drunk comes near. Not to mention, that my dh gets stone drunk and I’m basically a single mom for most of the day, dealing with cranky, tired, overwhelmed kids. It’s just too of an overwhelming day for me. Frankly, I’m just dreading it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics