Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do those in chinuch do it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:17 pm
How do you financial get by? We are drowning.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:23 pm
I live OOT with connected schools so if your a rebbe in the boys yeshiva your tuition for both genders is under the same discount. Same if your a morah in the girl school. If you don't have that I don't know how people do it.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:25 pm
Discounted tuition, discounted clothing and shoe cards yom tov time, chasdei lev, work a second job if you only work half day, chinuch discounts for camps...

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:26 pm
Help from family

amother
Almond

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:26 pm
Lots of people in all different professions are drowning. How does anyone do it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:30 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I live OOT with connected schools so if your a rebbe in the boys yeshiva your tuition for both genders is under the same discount. Same if your a morah in the girl school. If you don't have that I don't know how people do it.

My husband and I both work in a school I wouldn't send my kids to. We get discounted tuition, but together we don't make 100k.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
How do you financial get by? We are drowning.

Insurance- we are eligible for parsonage- which lowers our taxable income so we are eligible for kids to be on JerseyCare (medicaid). My office offers insurance. I pay for my husband
Tuition- QTR- which helps also lower our taxable income
Chasdei Lev
Tutoring

amother
Grape

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:39 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
Discounted tuition, discounted clothing and shoe cards yom tov time, chasdei lev, work a second job if you only work half day, chinuch discounts for camps...

I have never heard of chinuch discounts for camp. Where do you live that offers this?

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:41 pm
amother Grape wrote:
I have never heard of chinuch discounts for camp. Where do you live that offers this?

I'm assuming she or her husband work in the mosdos connected to the camp?

mha3484

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:43 pm
Where I am, certain camps that are non for profits offer scholarships based on need. The midwest agudah camps for sure have scholarships.

Also most rebbeim hustle. Between my 3 boys, 1 has a rebbe runs a big day camp and tutors, 1 teaches a full day kodesh in the am and secular studies in the afternoon and my eldest's rebbe was the English principal for decades he retired from that job but worked a full day for years and years.

I think its very common to work a second job or a run a camp unless your wife is a high earner or you have family money.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:53 pm
DH and I are both in chinuch.

For some , definitely family help or chinuch discounts on big ticket items including tuition etc. Some have afternoon jobs too if they finish teaching earlier. I know a few rebbis who are English teachers or principals in other schools from where they work in the AM.

But also, for us:

Lots and LOTS of tutoring.

Creating side courses, books or teaching materials based on our expertise to sell online.

Full time summer jobs - running day camps or working in them etc.

And this is to make it through the month, not to support our kids or anything. bH we have a large family, and we are not able to save in a significant way. And we are not getting rich from this lol. But BH!!! Not a complaint at all. I don’t think we personally are worse off than the average frum family and we don’t take it for granted! We try our best, work very hard and Hashem does the rest!

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:20 pm
We are drowning

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:36 pm
We're drowning. I teach in a school I won't send my kids to past preschool so I don't get tuition discount. I'm not eligible for chasdei lev because my husband works. I don't have time to tutor because my own children need me. We just keep sinking more and more in debt and my husband refuses to take any tzedaka

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:38 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
We're drowning. I teach in a school I won't send my kids to past preschool so I don't get tuition discount. I'm not eligible for chasdei lev because my husband works. I don't have time to tutor because my own children need me. We just keep sinking more and more in debt and my husband refuses to take any tzedaka

why?
so you just put it all on CC with no idea how to pay back?

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:38 pm
I think most of us are drowning. Some are just better at hiding it then others.

chestnut

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband and I both work in a school I wouldn't send my kids to. We get discounted tuition, but together we don't make 100k.

Do both of you work half a day or full day?
What about summers?
Tutoring?

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
why?
so you just put it all on CC with no idea how to pay back?

Yup. My husband in theory gets a raise every year and it's working on another degree that is supposed to come with a big raise when he finishes it. So he sees it as we just have to hang on till then. I don't know how we're paying the mortgage next week.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:51 pm
Side jobs. Almost every teacher I know works more than one job.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:54 pm
chestnut wrote:
Do both of you work half a day or full day?
What about summers?
Tutoring?

Both full school day. Dh learns in kollel after. Dh doesn't like working in camps, but I got him to this summer. My kids don't go to camp so I have to be with them. Dh used to tutor more, but cut back a lot. I'll talk to him about starting up again. My kids need me after school so I don't think I could take a 2nd job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics