Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
No Money!
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 2:58 pm
So me and my dh work regular jobs, we dont make that much but I would consider it average. We dont spend alot at all, we are very careful with what we buy etc. Lately we find it very hard to make ends meet (we dont have section 8, food stamps etc). I am wondering how others make it through.. it is really frustrating lately and I am starting to think we might be better off applying for Section 8 and all the other stuff.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 3:23 pm
If you qualify, why wouldn't you apply?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 3:24 pm
Yes, if you qualify, apply apply apply.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 6:55 pm
if we want to apply we would have to "do things" which untill now we didnt want to. But I see that in order to survive these days you have to do it.
In this Country you have to be unemployed or you pay the big bucks..

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 7:31 pm
I say apply...isnt that what we all pay the huge taxes for?
There is no harm in taking what you are "already paying for."
Food prices are so rediculous these days, I say apply!!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 7:34 pm
My dh always used to say (before he was married) that he would never take from such programs. Now that we are married for a while, he has a different perspective. We should never need from them, but if the day came, I would apply.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 7:35 pm
amother wrote:
if we want to apply we would have to "do things" which untill now we didnt want to. But I see that in order to survive these days you have to do it.
In this Country you have to be unemployed or you pay the big bucks..

What would you have to do?

As long as it's honest and legal, I don't see what the problem is.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 7:42 pm
The issue is just that we work on the books and we fall into the middle class and its really really hard. We would have to find a way to get our paycheck differently that would be it, I think.

Fabulous - My Dh always said the same thing, but now things are different our daily expenses just rent, electricity,food etc are much more then we can cover each month, so now he is starting to think differently.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 7:48 pm
Crayon210 wrote:

Well, define 'honest and legal.'

Note that I'm NOT telling OP what to do. I don't know what I would do in your position. I don't think I'd want to find out.

But keep in mind that once you get involved in shtick, it's very very hard to get out.

I think you should talk to your rav about this and follow his psak. It's as much a halachic shayla as any other.

Mini Cookie

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 7:51 pm
to qualify for Medicaid, Food Stamps & even Sec 8 you dont have to be "poor", by being honest with the amount you earn youll probably just get less F.S. but you might still qualify.

Mini Cookie

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 7:53 pm
for more info or to find out if you are eligible call 311

Crayon210

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 8:09 pm
amother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

Reporting all your income and assets in an honest fashion (I.e., not getting your paycheck in cash, etc.)

Crayon210

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 8:09 pm
amother wrote:
The issue is just that we work on the books and we fall into the middle class and its really really hard. We would have to find a way to get our paycheck differently that would be it, I think.

Well, that's not really appropriate.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 8:16 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
amother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

Reporting all your income and assets in an honest fashion (I.e., not getting your paycheck in cash, etc.)

I assume you are aware that entire communities are 'working the system' in exactly this fashion...
your uncompromising honesty is admirable. or else you are in an ivory tower. both, probably.

in any case, I admire your willingness to post what you believe in under your own name.
as for me, the older I get, the less certain I get about almost everything to do with this topic.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
amother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

I assume you are aware that entire communities are 'working the system' in exactly this fashion...
your uncompromising honesty is admirable. or else you are in an ivory tower. both, probably.

in any case, I admire your willingness to post what you believe in under your own name.
as for me, the older I get, the less certain I get about almost everything to do with this topic.

The fact that entire communities are doing it doesn't make it right.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 8:27 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
amother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
amother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

I hear ya.
It's not a statement I'm comfortable making, though, because I think that in the real world, things get so hard, people do what they can to get by. It's easy for me to say no cash- dh and I work in industries where everything is totally on the books. No way I could get cash, even if I wanted to. But if I could? If I had the option of saving tens of thousands of dollars a year? You bet I could use the money. Who couldn't? I am not saying it's okay. I'm simply saying that I am not 100% sure that I could resist the temptation if it were offered to me.
I guess you are. Kol hakavod, I look up to you. I really do.
So what would YOU tell OP?

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:
amother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
amother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

I hear ya.
It's not a statement I'm comfortable making, though, because I think that in the real world, things get so hard, people do what they can to get by. It's easy for me to say no cash- dh and I work in industries where everything is totally on the books. No way I could get cash, even if I wanted to. But if I could? If I had the option of saving tens of thousands of dollars a year? You bet I could use the money. Who couldn't? I am not saying it's okay. I'm simply saying that I am not 100% sure that I could resist the temptation if it were offered to me.
I guess you are. Kol hakavod, I look up to you. I really do.
So what would YOU tell OP?

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do if my financial situation was dire. But even if I did lie about my income, it would still be wrong.

The first thing I'd tell the OP to do is cut all meat out of her and her family's diet. I'd tell her to turn down the thermostat to 58 degrees and start wearing sweaters inside. I'd tell her to put her kids in public school. I'd tell her that either she or her husband should take on a part time job.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 9:13 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do if my financial situation was dire. But even if I did lie about my income, it would still be wrong.

The first thing I'd tell the OP to do is cut all meat out of her and her family's diet. I'd tell her to turn down the thermostat to 58 degrees and start wearing sweaters inside. I'd tell her to put her kids in public school. I'd tell her that either she or her husband should take on a part time job.

you'd put your kids in public school before you lied on your tax returns? really?
I'm not asking 'theoretically, is it okay to pay yeshiva tuition with money you didn't pay taxes on'- I'm asking, for real???
if you say yes... I don't believe you.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 9:14 pm
op, I don't know how you are being careful with money, but I will give a small bit of advice I think some people could benefit from.

if you have cell phones, switch to pre-paid. this will force you to be careful with minutes. you can buy $10 worth of minutes at a time, and after you spend a certain amount you get some percentage more minutes per dollar. you can back out without any cancellation fees, and you won't have new taxes added to your bill every month because you won't get a bill. so many people are used to using their cell phones to excess because they have a plan and don't think about it.

I really think a lot of people would have less to complain about if they switched to pre-paid. again, I don't know if this would benefit you, but I thought I'd mention it.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:

you'd put your kids in public school before you lied on your tax returns? really?
I'm not asking 'theoretically, is it okay to pay yeshiva tuition with money you didn't pay taxes on'- I'm asking, for real???
if you say yes... I don't believe you.

Yes. What kind of chinuch is it to teach your children to lie and steal?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics