Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
So what are you planning for Birchas hachama?
1  2  Next

shalhevet

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 1:58 pm
I was very excited to hear that there will be a women's section where I live for the Birchas hachama central events. They are closing off an entire street and all the local rabbonim will be there. If only I didn't hate getting up early... (this is scheduled for 7.15am), but I hope to make the effort.

If you have new clothes for YT, you can wear them then to make a shecheyanu.

This is really exciting. Very Happy

RightOnTarget

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 2:05 pm
dh will be out to join the occassion. I didnt know its for women at all.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 2:08 pm
RightOnTarget wrote:
dh will be out to join the occassion. I didnt know its for women at all.

There are different opinions if women are obligated. Most opinions are that women can make the bracha. Of course you can just go outside and make the bracha when you see the sun in the morning (ask your LOR till what time) by yourself.

Mishie

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 2:23 pm
I can see from my porch one of the places they're gathering for this occasion.
My dh and boys will go, and the rest of us will watch from here.

creativemommyto3

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 2:44 pm
I just reread the part of "Dearest Children" by Ruchoma Shain, where she describes the experience at the Kotel in 1981.. how she woke up at 3:45 am.. I told my husband that I want to go to the Kotel.. he thought I was crazy.. I doubt I will do it, but will at least try to go to the one in my neighborhood.. next time iy''H

hila

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 3:08 pm
I was there - at the Kotel in 1981.
I remember getting up early, while it was still dark, and getting on one of the special busses to the Kotel.The kotel plaza filled up till there was no more room, and then at the critical moment - the clouds covered the sun, we all davened and said tehillim till we could see it. then said the bracha together with Am yisrael . An amazing experience.
I do have pics from then

BeH I hope to be on Har Eitam this time - from there we can see Har habayit. (with binoculars)

Erev Pesach makes it a bit impractical to be at the Kotel, then get home again to do everything I need to do.
[img]the plaza filled[/img]
1981 - the plaza

sun  coming from behind the clouds

the sun comes from behind the clouds

Tova

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 5:44 pm
Oh wow, hila, thanks for posting the pictures!

myfriends715

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 5:55 pm
I live by a beach and our entire community (plus we've invited the rest of brooklyn) are going to the beach for minyan and birkas hachama.. if you are interested... http://theshtieble.org/5.html

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 6:08 pm
Hila, I'm going to try to email your photos to people! I was also reading Ruchoma Shain's description - she writes that 1981 was the ONLY time birkat hachama was said at the kotel in Medinat Yisrael - 28 years before, the kotel had been under Jordanian rule. This will be the second time!

DH is planning to be there IY"H with our older kids.

Anyone remember the last time? We celebrated in our elementary school courtyard with dancing.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 7:04 pm
This will be my first Bircas Hachama. I think that what I will end up doing is bringing my baby outside the front door and doing it there with her. I wish that I could be with a group of people, but I don't really see how I can do so with the morning schedual and with it being erev Pesach on top of that.

I suppose I can look at this as special because I will have my baby with me, so I can look at this as a special mother/ daughter thing. So far, she is my only child, so she is the only one of my children who will have this experience as a child.

sky

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 8:16 pm
I'm planning on getting up early and going with my boys.
At the shabbos hagadol the rav said that in Lakewood the minhag is that women say it - just not in a public gathering. 2 blocks were set aside for ladies to stand.
My MIL always tells how she ran to make the bracha with the group with my dh in the carriage. Even though he is too young to remember I know he enjoys the story. Even though my boys are too young to remember I want to give them also the story that they were there. They won't see it again until they are 30 I'y.
I still have to work later in the day, but I hope not to miss this. It will be my first time.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 8:18 pm
did you hear aobut the rabbi who's taking his congregation up in air balloons !!!!

Fox

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 8:29 pm
My kids want to go to the beach at Lake Michigan, so I think we'll do that. The "official" gathering is at the local JCC, but I agree that at least DDs and I will skip the public gathering and go to the beach.

Thanks for the amazing pictures, Hila!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 8:45 pm
Meh I'll probably sleep thru it. my dh woudl love to take our son but he'll probably sleep thru it too...

Atali

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 8:47 pm
It will be my son's upsherin!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 8:51 pm
Mama Bear, you can say it until approx 9;40 in NY. Are you still going to be asleep then ?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 9:23 pm
Oh, my issue wasn the saying the tefillah but the participating in a communitywide celebration!

GAMZu

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 10:12 pm
Mazal Tov Atali!

Atali

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 10:51 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Mazal Tov Atali!

And mazal tov to you! (your little boy just had one, right?)

Erev pesach isn't exactly the easiest day to make an upsherin.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 10:54 pm
Mazal Tov, Atali!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days