Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Mazel Tov on Birthdays & Anniversaries
Trick or treat

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 9:09 am
trick or treat, my sweet petite ... it's her lunar birthday - but tomorrow is her english birthday ... shouldn't they be on the same date every 19 years (unless you're me it's 46) - or is my family just unique ... Scratching Head

happy birthday dd2 !!! Lady יום הולדת שמח Lady

l'chaim Drunken Smile Cheers לחיים

louche

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 10:29 am
If you were born at night, it will be off by one day.

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 10:35 am
only sonny boy has that excuse plus he's an adar baby ... not the girlies ... I even looked into the future calendars and the past calendars to make sure of proper dates and same with little dd ... a day apart ...

onlyme

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 10:41 am
My 19th birthdays were a day apart too, so guess it can happen sometimes... or maybe I'm unique too...
Anyway, Happy Birthday and l'chaim!! Cheers
Edited to add: I was born in the morn

sunshine!

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 10:46 am
Happy Birthday! May she have a year of happiness and clarity of mind and spirit! May she give you much Nachas in the year ahead!

louche

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 12:15 pm
The calendar doesn't repeat perfectly every 19 years. In fact, the calendar doesn't repeat exactly (meaning everything, including licht benchen times, parashiyot and haftarot, and days of the week lining up exactly with the civil calendar) except once in something astronomical like over 2000 years. Not within a human lifetime, at any rate.

I know because I had the brilliant idea of saving a really nice unused hebrew/civil calendar until the next time it would apply. Fuhgeddaboudit. Ain't happening.

The Hebrew calendar is incredibly complex. To think that it was all figured out about 2000 years ago, without the help of telescopes, computer modeling, or calculus!

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 12:24 pm
ah - so it's not me ... or my unique family ...

Rodent

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 5:22 pm
Not just you. I seem to remember my husband saying that his Hebrew and secular birthdays will never in his lifetime coincide again (after his birth). I could be imagining that but it's how I remember it LOL

Pineapple

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 9:42 pm
Happy Birthday to your dd!

merelyme

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 6:40 am
Happy birthday to your dd, and much nachas to her mom!

The birthdays come out the same day or 1 day off every 19 years. It can be off by a day because of the way Hillel set up the calendar so Rosh Hashanah can't come out on Sun. Wed. or Friday, and Purim can't be on Shabbos (unless you live in Jerusalem! But that's a separate issue.).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Mazel Tov on Birthdays & Anniversaries