Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Does anyone else find this tacky and slightly bothersome?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:12 pm
out of curiosity, I checked someones profile and saw that out of the total number of posts (less than 10) all but one promoted their establishment. Only one post mentioned the fact that they owned it, and the rest were promotions blended into a threads topic.

Usually, I just scroll on by, but it was so blatant.

Really, it's not fair to the posters who have respected Yael's request and paid for an ad.

And not mentioning that you own this place/service that you are recommending is dishonest in a way that I can't exactly put my finger on.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
out of curiosity, I checked someones profile and saw that out of the total number of posts (less than 10) all but one promoted their establishment. Only one post mentioned the fact that they owned it, and the rest were promotions blended into a threads topic.

Really, it's not fair to the posters who have respected Yael's request and paid for an ad.

And not mentioning that you own this place/service that you are recommending is dishonest in a way that I can't exactly put my finger on.

I think you'd have a bit more credibility if you'd post this under your own username. It's cowardice to lambast others while using amother.

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:40 pm
Sorry you feel that way. The reporting process is anonymous, and so I choose to continue to remain anonymous now.

Who is lambasting anyway?
I didn't mention the poster's name here, nor the thread, or even the subject.

The title of this thread is "Tacky and slightly bothersome", not "Totally Horrific and Shocking!"

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:

I have noticed that some of these posters also have paid ads on this site. Are you sure that's not the case here?

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry you feel that way. The reporting process is anonymous, and so I choose to continue to remain anonymous now.

Who is lambasting anyway?
I didn't mention the poster's name here, nor the thread, or even the subject.

The title of this thread is "Tacky and slightly bothersome", not "Totally Horrific and Shocking!"

You're only fooling yourself when you ask who is lambasting anyway? You realize you are criticizing people publicly? I don't think you'd appreciate if someone wrote 'tacky and slightly bothersome' about you and you are doing that to others using the nifty anonymous feature. If you want to publicly criticize, at least do it under your own name.

Simple1

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:52 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
I don't see the big deal. It bothers me a tad, but not enough to get worked up over. If I don't like it, I just scroll on by. I think worrying about getting paid ads is Yael's job.

This is how I feel too.

I also noticed that at least one of the posters mentioned (by the OP) does have a paid ad. So you can't say she's trying to get a freebie.

amother

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 8:09 am
Simple1 wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
I don't see the big deal. It bothers me a tad, but not enough to get worked up over. If I don't like it, I just scroll on by. I think worrying about getting paid ads is Yael's job.

This is how I feel too.

I also noticed that at least one of the posters mentioned (by the OP) does have a paid ad. So you can't say she's trying to get a freebie.

OP here; I never said that. As a matter of fact, I have not seen a single one of these posters with a paid ad.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 9:08 am
I would be wary of any regular poster who wasn't wiling to stand behind her business so she got a new screen name. Of course, I would never know...

This sort of thing goes on all the time - from posters with their own snood business to people trying to convince others to sign up for a credit card through a link sot hey can get referral points. If I see a deal like that being hocked that is really not such a good deal but really mostly benefiting the referrer I will post a warning but other than that I just scroll on by. If the business looks really good, I might even click the link.

Were to draw the line can be very tricky. I love many of the blogs I have found through this site, yet many have ads and could theoretically be called businesses.

Simple1

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

This is how I feel too.

OP here; I never said that. As a matter of fact, I have not seen a single one of these posters with a paid ad.

You mentioned the poster who posts recipes, and I see the paid ad on the front page -- unless you were referring to a different poster.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 10:02 am
The other week someone was using the Budgeting and Bargains section to promote their business. Now THAT was tacky. I noticed no one was responding.

It bothered me, because I've gotten soem great deals thru other amothers helpful threads there....but trying to sell your own wares thru that section should only be thru a paid ad, IMVHO.

amother

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 12:06 pm
Simple1 wrote:
amother wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

This is how I feel too.

You mentioned the poster who posts recipes, and I see the paid ad on the front page -- unless you were referring to a different poster.

That.

Either way, my issue is not with people broadcasting their business on imamother. I mean, I would not take so much issue with an avid, regular poster who promotes her business on Imamother b/c she still uses the site for the reasons its meant to be used. I have a problem with the users who are using Imamother only to promote their business.

Shendellah

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 12:33 pm
Didn't notice- I'm oblivious to these types of things. If a frum woman has a small hat store in their house and is responding to threads about headcoverings (and its a direct response to the posters comments) then I think it is a great way to say "hey your looking for this and I have it!" And it helps a fellow yid. Its not like they can afford paid advertising. But if mid-size to big businesses are either masking as frum women or only signing up for free advertising then its wrong! They need to pay for the advertisement the honest way.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 12:33 pm
Chayalle wrote:
The other week someone was using the Budgeting and Bargains section to promote their business. Now THAT was tacky. I noticed no one was responding.

It bothered me, because I've gotten soem great deals thru other amothers helpful threads there....but trying to sell your own wares thru that section should only be thru a paid ad, IMVHO.

that IS tacky. Especially if it was not a regular poster and it was not a deal or bargain. I think the best response is to just not respond so they wont get any business or atention and will just go away...

Fox

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 2:48 pm
If a regular poster chooses to promote her business, gemach, or hamster give-away program, I have no problem. Yael and her mods can decide where to draw the line between a paid ad and a response where the poster just happens to have a vested interest.

Posters who join imamother for the exclusive purpose of promoting their businesses are only fooling themselves. They can respond all they want to threads about buying tichels or finding a great hamster, but it will be relatively obvious that they have a single agenda, and most of us will give them (and their hamster hatcheries!) a wide berth.

This is the beauty of the worldwide wastebasket: it proves that people really are smarter than computers. You can engage in all the viral marketing activities you want, but unless people are genuinely enthused about your tichels or hamsters, you're probably just spinning your wheels.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette