Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
FUMING! Flakey College Students...
Previous  1  2

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 2:05 am
I wouldn't consider texting intrusive, no matter what the hour.
Nor would I be upset if someone cancelled the arrangements the next morning, before I had time to shop/clean etc.

Neither would have bothered me...

I do think a lot of people view texts as sort of email; not quite because if you are awake you will see and look...but it isn't the same as a phone call imho.

Yocheved84

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 2:59 am
FYI, whoever said that the BT had no phone etiquette or some such (b/c she is a young BT) is wrong. I'm sorry, but many college students don't always know proper etiquette. I used to give my students a list of "tips for being successful in the world" every semester--now I just give it verbally throughout the term. These include creating e-mail addresses for resumes that have their real names (not "TeddyBears4cute@asdf.com) and also never to text superiors after 8 PM. Texting after 8 PM is reserved for their "BFFs" unless they are GIVEN permission.

Students who text me after that hour (my "virtual office hour") often receive an auto-reply from me (that I manually type out) saying "Prof. Yocheved [last name] does not answer texts at this hour. Please contact her between 8 and 8, or send her an e-mail."

It works.
OP, I never would have responded at that hour, and in your case, I would have taken her aside privately and told her that unless she was being kicked out of her house or having a mega crisis, she is not to text you at that hour because you ARE one of those people who sleep with the phone.

You were treated like a schmata, only b/c you let yourself be. But I know you from what I see on here--you are NOT a schmata, so now you know what it's like dealing with SOME MEMBERS of this generation. Make yourself a little rule list and stick to it, like others have said. No need to pass it out at the beginning of the "term" (Rosh Hashannah) Wink , but keep it mentally handy.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 3:06 am
MommyZ wrote:
We have college students over for meals frequently, especially during the school year when college is in session. We have our regulars, our one timers and people who come every so often. Someone who had never come before asked on Thursday if they could come for a meal and then I believe on Friday morning told dh they only eat vegetarian. I went out of my way to make extra food and they cancelled right before Shabbos. Was I upset about it? Yes, but we still continue to have college students over for meals. That doesn't usually happen, BH. I figure that I get additional zechuyos along with the agmas nefesh.

People do this the whole time to me. I figure I was probably just as thoughtless and flaky at that age too.

It bugs me more when it is responsible adults who do it. They should know better.

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 4:55 am
amother wrote:
No offense, but based on many of your threads in the past you seem pretty flaky yourself LOL

I'm guessing this is my imamother-stalker making this comment.

How exactly does this contribute to the conversation?

Can you quantify or give examples of my flakiness here on imamother?

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 6:35 am
This happens to us all the time...my response to repeat offenders is not to prepare at all -- if they show up, fine, I'll throw them some clean sheets and zehu. Teenagers are thoughtless.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics