Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Question for OT or anyone else who might know

amother

Post Fri, Apr 01 2011, 12:43 am
My son needs help with modulation. (sendory modulation is it called?) how many months of OT should it take before results are seen? Is there any activities that work on modulation I can do on my own? (We tried OT for about 6 months without seeing results, and he was complaining about going so I'm hoping if he has activities at home to do he won't feel like he is doing therapy Smile
btw he is 7 yrs old. thanks.

c.c.cookie

Post Fri, Apr 01 2011, 2:23 am
The book "the Out of Sync Child Has Fun" has different activities you can do with your child at home.

Happy18

Post Fri, Apr 01 2011, 6:46 am
Maybe try a different OT. OT should be fun, I teach and my students who go to OT actually want to go!

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Apr 01 2011, 7:11 am
It sounds to me like the OT you used was not very good, for a couple of reasons:

1- children generally love the OT. If the OT is successful- even a little- at regulating their sensory system, the kids feel that and it feels good. OT's are also supposed to make it fun for the kids- for example, my kids' OT doesn't do brushing because many kids dislike it. She found ways to accomplish a similar effect using fun toys which the kids love.

2- One major job of the OT should be to communicate with the mother and provide ideas and insights into the child's problem. My kids' OT taught me different massages to do at bedtime to calm the kids down, and she taught me which movements are soothing and which make the kid hyper (slow circular motions are soothing, fast circles make them more hyper, holding them upsode down is organizing which helps calm them down...) She told me to read "The Out of Sync Child" the first time she came. As much as the OT can help on her own, it is much much more effective if there are carryovers throughout the child's day.

And so I would say, listen to the above posters, read that book and get a new OT as well.

otsrock

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 6:13 pm
Now that's a question I can answer Smile
The protocol for a sensory modulation disorder (high arousal) is as follows:

1. Tactile Input
2. Passive Proprioception
3. Vestibular
4. Active proprioception

Tactile Input - Start with deep pressure because this is organizing. You can squish your child with pillows, do an oil massage, or a deep pressure massage, or roll them with a ball or a personal massager, or brushing. After this, provide your child with passive proprioception (their joints are being moved passively.) You can have them hang on something to distract their joints, or do joint compressions.
Then do vestibular - they can jump in a linear plane, you can dance around in a circle, or spin on a toy. The important thing is to look for the intensity that they need - your child might need to be turned upsed down or do a tumblesauce.
The next thing is active proprioception - where the child moves actively. They can jump, crawl, run...
When a child has a sensory modulation disorder, it's important that they receive all input rhythmically and predictably. So, all touch should be rhythmic - for example, 1,2,3 - brush. The vestibular should be rhythmic - turn, turn, turn...stop! turn, turn, turn, stop! And the active proprioception should be rhythmic as well, if possible.
So, a typical activity might be...brushing and joint compressions, followed by jumping on a trampoline and then crawling (to get puzzle pieces, picture cards, or something interesting.)
Input should last for around 2 hours. If this system is done consistently and with intensity, your child's modulation disorder will improve in no time! With sensory processing disorders, it's very important to be consistent with providing the input.

Good luck!

Health is a Virture

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 2:48 am
if the ot is good, it should be instant. you should see results that afternoon. you need to find a good ot, pay private if need be, who can teach you what to do. othewise, those books are a good start to get ideas for yourself.

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 4:25 am
otsrock - are you an OT? (You're SN sounds like you are.)
Because what you write does not sound wise without first evaluating the child and seeing what he needs specifically. I know brushing is not recommended unless you really know what you're doing. As for something like jumping on the trampoline - while it may be very benificial for some kids, it can have the opposite on others. I know my son, for example, goes absolutely crazy from it. It makes him completely lose his mind, and be a complete terror for a couple of hours. I don't think the OP should do any real sensory diet without consulting with a good OT who's seen the child.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 10:09 am
Health is a Virture wrote:
if the ot is good, it should be instant. you should see results that afternoon. you need to find a good ot, pay private if need be, who can teach you what to do. othewise, those books are a good start to get ideas for yourself.

I just want to clarify something here: If a child's system is dysregulated, one session of OT is not necessarily going to have instant results. Yes, the eventual goal is for a sensory diet to have an immediate and lasting regulatory effect, but it may take a few sessions to get there.

I do agree that not seeing results after 6 months is probably indicative of a poor match between child and therapist.

Regarding otsrock's post: she is correct in that is the basic protocol for high arousal. OP did not specify that her child is high arousal. Also, while this is the protocol an OT would follow, a parent needs one on one training to follow the protocol accurately.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 12:27 pm
OT'srock: That post was amazing. I am going to copy that down and try to incorporate it in my child's day.

Jewishmofm

Post Sun, Jul 31 2011, 11:57 pm
I second the motion of reading out of sync child books. also, lots of playground time. we're building up an indoor one,not as expensive as it sounds if you are handy. make sure your OT is SIPT certified
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)