Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What makes your home you and/or unique?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 3:44 pm
yo'ma wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
Yo'ma, I also have a piece of my very creative mother a"h in my house, a few pieces actually but the most prominent is a original needlepoint.

I have some of my mothers quilts also because she gave to each of her grandchildren. She didn't get a chance to give to everyone, but my sister finished a whole bunch of them and gave it to the rest of the grandchildren.

That is beautiful!

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 4:33 pm
Real art costs a lot of money and with many people struggling with regular expenses, it's one of those things that fall to the wayside.
I know that I have an appreciation for real art due to family background and for now we dont have the room or the money for any.

eschaya

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 5:33 pm
Like a few other posters (in which case none of us it truly unique), books everywhere - including the bathroom. And if you go into my basement you will find wall to wall shelving with art supplies that I used to use and are now waiting for me to have the time... You will also find a few pieces of painted glass (menorah, havdalah tray, wine holders, glasses) that I painted.
Otherwise, nothing truly unique. I used to go for form. Now I just do function.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 7:21 pm
Lamplighter, I know. Let me put it this way: I don't exactly have oil paintings (except for one by an old relative in his Grandpa Moses stage, quite nice actually). There's something I might put together to hang in my kitchen, based on calendar art. I usually make a collage or something every year for the succah but these colors are calling me.
I have seen some real artwork and I appreciate how someone like you who really knows what's what would have a hard time settling.
But it's nice to see some aesthetic expression. And I also realize that not everyone feels a lack if there is none, but this is my cuppa.

abby1776

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 8:52 pm
so happy to hear we are not the only ones with books all over the place. The other thing that would make our home unique are all my DHs photographs, not just of the chidren but of different places we've been and things - he is a very gifted photograhper. We are renting right now, but in our old house every wall had photos and photos and phots. Gd willing when we move into our new home we will put his photos back on the walls.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 9:32 pm
My slightly obsessive organization :-)

and lots of quality children's books.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 9:44 pm
I'm not sure, but I MIGHT be the only person on the planet whose refrigerator door is not a bulletin board.

spring13

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 9:51 pm
I have two coordinating embroidered wall hangings in my living room with tree of life/bird designs that I got at a store that sells things handmade by women in 3rd world countries. Those two pieces are so totally me (handmade! fiber art! colorful!), and are definitely different than what I see in most frum homes. the red of some of the flowers is picked up in window valances and an area rug, but otherwise I don't have an elaborate decorating/color scheme going on. Since that's the first room you see when you walk in, and where most of the hanging out takes place, that's the one that matters most to me in terms of appearance.

we have a tiny playroom that is done (so far as it is done) with primary colors, b/c I like a kids' space to be colorful and gender neutral. so that means the foam mat squares on the floor, the bins in an ikea shelving unit, and the animal print curtains (also from ikea - in the "as is" section). I'd love to have some pictures or wall shelves or something (like an alef-bet hanging with the little pockets, love those), but that's gonna have to wait for a bit.

canadamom

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 10:00 pm
I take professional pictures often, especially outdoor artsy types of my children, blow them up big, and then plaque them. I have them hanging in my playroom.
I also have a built in desk type of space in my kitchen with a huge blackboard above it on the wall, with messages and important notes... I love it!

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 2:36 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Lamplighter, I know. Let me put it this way: I don't exactly have oil paintings (except for one by an old relative in his Grandpa Moses stage, quite nice actually). There's something I might put together to hang in my kitchen, based on calendar art. I usually make a collage or something every year for the succah but these colors are calling me.
I have seen some real artwork and I appreciate how someone like you who really knows what's what would have a hard time settling.
But it's nice to see some aesthetic expression. And I also realize that not everyone feels a lack if there is none, but this is my cuppa.

Agree. It doesn't need to be real art. Like spring said, it could be embroidered wall hangings. Or anything you like that is personal. It could definitely be framed prints (not Real Art) - but with a motif that speaks to you, or colours that called you. I am not enamored of the approach where you just hang up the first picture you find at your local Home Depot because the size seems to fit, or it's neutral enough that nobody will criticize.

OTOH, I love stepping into homes where you can tell someone poured a lot of love into choosing the wall colour, the pictures, the throw pillows. Doesnt' have to look 'professionally Decorated'. In fact, it's much better if it looks natural and accumulated over time. But as PinkFridge said, it's 'my cuppa' to see aesthetic expression in a home, and it sometimes baffles me how people can live without any. (Not talking about people on brink of poverty, but regular middle class who with a bit of thought could add a little personality to their home without spending a lot).

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 3:04 am
The open space that comprises our kitchen, dining area and living room which you walk right into from the front door. The fact that our kids' friends vote that ours is the house where they feel most comfortable.

ray family

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 3:31 am
zaq wrote:
I'm not sure, but I MIGHT be the only person on the planet whose refrigerator door is not a bulletin board.

nope, I don't either have a thing on my refrigerator.
I have some magnetic boards and a pushpin board

elaela

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 4:52 am
tons of magnets/lists/yomtuv cards/fotos on the fridge

my grandparents' biedermayer furniture in the dining room/living room and bedroom.

ellie23

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 9:47 am
I just decorate it to my taste and keep an eye open for decortive items that speak to me...I love antique/wood looks so all of my furnishings speak to that..I also love flowers and have them throughout the house...personal photos are on the walls/tables.....I love decorating!

Shuly

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 1:58 pm
I would love to choose my own furniture but right now I have a hodgepodge of second hand furniture...
However, all the pictures on my walls are either my kids or scenes of Eretz Yisroel - mostly street scenes of the Old City or Tzfat.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics