Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Daycare for 1-2 yo: which and how?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2012, 11:09 pm
We are thinking about a move to Israel, and would likely start out in Jerusalem.

At the moment I am home with my one year old toddler, who will be either 18 months or up to 2 years old when we get there. I'd like to work in Israel and we'd need childcare, but I am hoping to start out - at least - part time. How does daycare work in Israel? We would be interested in something structured, not getting a babysitter or sharing one with other families. Are there part time options? From what I see online some things are subsidized by the gov't. Is that true at this age as well? Even if we are not (yet) making aliyah? Any advice on Israel programs? TIA!

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 29 2012, 1:38 am
If you work full time there is subsidized daycare available from 3mo until gan. Will write more later.

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 29 2012, 3:23 am
OK, here it goes.

Government subsidized daycare is full-day care for moms (or single dads) who work full time. Part-time care is not included in the subsidy schedule. The subsidy is awarded according to a predetermined income-per-person in the family calculation, and both the fees and scale of subsidy are set at the beginning of each year. Daycare runs largely parallel to the school system, with care continuing through July and without the long Sukkot and Pesach breaks. (There IS a break at Pesach, but it's considerably shorter than the school break.)

Subsidized spaces are available in recognized daycare centres (usually run by any of Chabad, Emunah, Na'amat, Chevrat haMatnasim (the community centre), Wizo, and I know there's a private chain called Amelie). They are also available at home daycares (mishpachtonim) recognized by the TAMAT (ministry of labour). These daycare providers have licensing and both ECE and first aid certification.

Private mishpachtonim are not subsidized. (There is currently a legal challenge in the Tel Aviv district which decision allows working moms - or single dads - to deduct 50% of their childcare expenses, with receipts, from their taxable income, however it's working its way up to the Supreme Court and in the meantime the Tax Authority is not honouring the current decision pending the appeal.)

Availability obviously depends on your area.

EvenI

Post Mon, Oct 29 2012, 3:34 am
Options vary somewhat in different types of neighborhoods. There are private gannim, some which go until lunchtime, some of those have an afternoon option. They have a lot of vacations - they usually follow the school schedule. You send your own lunch and snacks, IME. There is something called a mishpachton, which I think goes from 8-4, which can be subsidized. It's run by one lady in her house and she has to undergo training by the irriya (municipality) and can be any level of religiousness (they may be classified as chareidi/dati/chiloni, I'm not sure, because I've never sent to one, and the price is controlled and the number of kids limited to 5, I think, and she prepares food for the kids and feeds them, so you need to be OK with the person's kashrus. Depending on how many hours the mother works, it can be very subsidized. I think Marion will tell you more about that. Could be it's cheaper if you work full time than part time. Similarly, they have something called a maon, which is like a purpose built daycare center also an official thing, with similar hours to a mishpachton, and can have larger groups and more staff. I think mishpachtonim and maonot are designed as daycare solutions for working mothers so they don't have too much vacation, if I understand correctly.

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 29 2012, 6:16 am
Meonot and mishpachtonim have 3 (or so) weeks off in August, they're closed Pesach and all arvei chag, but other than that they're pretty much open every day. Standard operating hours in maon (daycare centre) are 7-4, Sun-Thurs, and 7-1 on Friday. Mishpachtonim may vary by location, but where I live it's 7-4:30 Sun-Thurs and no Fridays. The metapelet can CHOOSE to work alternate Fridays but she is by no means obligated to do so. In meonot and mishpachtonim parents are required to provide diapers, wipes, changes of clothes, a thermometer, dummy/pacifier if your child uses one, water bottle/sippy cup/bottles and formula or EBM for babies. The maon/mishpachton provides everything else (though it is common for them to request bedding for nap times as well, and this is considered acceptable).

As previously noted, part-time care is not subsidized; one of the criteria for the subsidy is that the mother (or single father) works 40+ hours/week. I've heard that some part-timers get subsidies too at different rates (if I work FT and am eligible for the lowest pay rate - 3 - someone who works fewer hours but those hours are standard in her profession - a student, nurse, teacher... - would qualify but be given a pay rate of 5 instead of 3, for example). Private care is not subsidized. Effective this year 3 year old gan ("real" gan, not in someone's home) is supposed to be free, but afternoon care is not.

I don't know how the subsidy works if you are non-resident. When you say "not yet making aliyah", what exactly does that mean? Will you have a working visa? Pay slip? Or file taxes as an atzmai (self-employed)?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 29 2012, 10:02 am
Marion wrote:
Meonot and mishpachtonim have 3 (or so) weeks off in August, they're closed Pesach and all arvei chag, but other than that they're pretty much open every day. Standard operating hours in maon (daycare centre) are 7-4, Sun-Thurs, and 7-1 on Friday. Mishpachtonim may vary by location, but where I live it's 7-4:30 Sun-Thurs and no Fridays. The metapelet can CHOOSE to work alternate Fridays but she is by no means obligated to do so. In meonot and mishpachtonim parents are required to provide diapers, wipes, changes of clothes, a thermometer, dummy/pacifier if your child uses one, water bottle/sippy cup/bottles and formula or EBM for babies. The maon/mishpachton provides everything else (though it is common for them to request bedding for nap times as well, and this is considered acceptable).

As previously noted, part-time care is not subsidized; one of the criteria for the subsidy is that the mother (or single father) works 40+ hours/week. I've heard that some part-timers get subsidies too at different rates (if I work FT and am eligible for the lowest pay rate - 3 - someone who works fewer hours but those hours are standard in her profession - a student, nurse, teacher... - would qualify but be given a pay rate of 5 instead of 3, for example). Private care is not subsidized. Effective this year 3 year old gan ("real" gan, not in someone's home) is supposed to be free, but afternoon care is not.

I don't know how the subsidy works if you are non-resident. When you say "not yet making aliyah", what exactly does that mean? Will you have a working visa? Pay slip? Or file taxes as an atzmai (self-employed)?

If you are not Israeli, AFAIK, you can't send to maon/mishpachton at all.

And yes, part timers get subsidies at different rates.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions