Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Philadephia... again

amother

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 10:49 am
I know this has been brought up in the past but I also know a lot can change in these smaller communities in a year or two (the last time a thread like this was written). Dh and I are really considering Philly. its time to get out of an apt and maybe buy something (though we dont have a lot to spend) we are what I guess you'd call yeshivish/ yehsivish modern. I cover my hair and keep tznius, we keep cholov yisrael but im pro internet and am very worldly. from what im reading I guess Rhwanhurst would be the best fit for us right? are there a lot of young couples? is it a growing or dying community? are there specific blocks where they live? can I have the pros and cons. also are there any other areas for us to consider? all advice and opinions welcome

amother

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 5:56 pm
I live in Rhawnhurst and it's a good community. Its very diverse and welcoming. There are young couples to old couples with a handful of singles. We have a couple of decent restaurants. A few grocery stores. 4/5 shuls.
I wouldn't say its dying or growing. It's more like new family in, newly married adult children out. There is one school, it has its problems but most of the community goes there. We have a few that go further away to other schools and very few home schooled kids.
The home prices are good.
here is a link that will help you see the eruv and where to look for housing. I would stay between faunce st and fox chase and not past castor.
http://www.jcor.org/eruv.html
There is also other info that could help on that site.
Some other nearby communities are bala cywyd, lower merion, wynwood, bensalem, cherry hill NJ. I think bensalem is really small and the others are more expensive.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 7:13 pm
Diverse community. Nice people. Don't feel like you have to keep up with the Jones.

Different kind of shuls, all relatively close so you can pick which one you feel comfortable in, not forced by location.

We love the school, as do my group of friends who send their kids there.

Shoprite has c"y stuff, but they run out once in a while before the next shipment. Some people go to Lakewood and stock up every once in a while.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 7:18 pm
If you want to be part of Bnei Israel shul they are offering 2 years free rent to young families. Don't know too many details though.
A frum builder is building houses and is giving great deals to young, frum families moving in. Call someone that you know in Philly, or someone who knows someone and ask about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating