Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
6 yr old gave 4 yr old medicine
Previous  1  2  3  4

morah

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
morah wrote:
gold21 wrote:
morah wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
One of the first posters said blame the mother. I THINK many of you saw that and went along with it without really reading the question in my post. No one stopped to realize no information was given so you just jumped to your own conclusions.
Thank you for being such great "friends".
What if I blame myself and have emotional issues and need to be told mistakes happen but try harder next time?
What if my husband is at fault and now my shalom bayis is down the tubes? You helped get it there
What if a babysitter was at fault and she got fired?
What if another adult was at fault that I will not have anything to do with now? You helped ruin a family relationship or friendship.
You need to think before you post and no, the whole story doesn't have to be given in a case like this when all I asked was for an appropriate punishment.

OP you need to grow up and accept responsibility. It is not the posters' fault if you over react. It is not the 6 yr old's fault.

It is your fault. It is your responsibility. Quit trying to blame it on everyone else.

Yes, all the OP's fault. Couldn't possibly be her husband's fault, or another caregiver's fault. And six year olds never forget the rules or break them just to see how far they can push. Methinks the one who needs to grow up is you.

If it were my husband's fault, I would feel guilty- "Oy I should have told him..." or "Oy I shouldn't have gone out and left him with everything" etc.

If it were my caregiver's fault, I would feel guilty- "Why didn't I mention it to her specifically" or "I wish my job didn't force me to leave my kids with a caregiver, I should have chosen a different career".

Pretty much no matter what happens, I feel guilty. That's how moms are. For better or for worse. Whether we should or shouldn't. We do.

Caregiver- yes, I'd feel guilty that I entrusted my child to a bad one. Husband- no, I wouldn't feel guilty. I should be able to trust my children's own father. I'd be angry at him for not being more on top of his own child's safety. BTW, I don't know why everyone thinks the op isn't feeling guilty. If anything, her defensiveness points to a deep sense of shame that this incident happened. She's embarrassed that it doesn't seem to have happened to anyone else in the world. And me, I am now obsessively checking my cabinet locks, because there but for the grace of G-d...

ITA with everything except for the part about the father. If for any reason the father unsafe then the mom must do everything possible to keep the child safe. I defied court orders to allow unsupervised visitation. A mother is responsible 100% of the time.

Both parents are responsible for a safe home 100% each.

True. I mean under normal circumstances where you have no reason to assume the father can't properly care for his own children. Obviously there are unusual circumstances- but that can be true for mothers too.

SplitPea

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 9:58 am
I want to point out the story I shared earlier about my daughter getting ahold of tynole. It was in a zip lock bag in an open suitcase sitting in the floor!

I felt like worst mom of the year. But accidents Do happen and we need to learn from them. OP- if you are still reading them. I am sure we can make an entire thread of our goofs as parents (and who knows this might not be a good in you but a really misbehaving child.... We don't know because we have no info) we all make mistakes. We all low things to happen that shouldn't. We all have accidents. And some of us have kids who just outsmart us no matter what.

No one wanted to bash you. Most of us reacted out of a deep place of fear for our own children's safety and security.

If you honestly need help dealing with your 6 year old feel free to come back and tell us the whole story as you have pointed out we don't know. I can assure you SOMEONE here has had similar.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics