Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Outlander fans

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:43 pm
So I started reading the books after coming across the show. I would have preferred the other way around, but it is what it is.

I am furious at the latest revelation (season 3, episode 7.) It's making me want to give up reading the series!!!

Readers, a wee spoiler please... I'm assuming Claire forgives Jamie for what he did while she was away, but will I be able to, as well?

(Note: I have trust issues lol.)

Miri7

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:02 pm
Stop watching the shows until you finish the books. You will thank yourself later. The books are amazing. I find the show to be a pale comparison, though I do enjoy it.

Happy reading.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:28 am
That episode was portrayed very differently on the show then it was done in the books. Lots of book fans were angry - look at Diana Gabaldon Facebook page....

Read the books and ditch the sho IMHO....

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
That episode was portrayed very differently on the show then it was done in the books. Lots of book fans were angry - look at Diana Gabaldon Facebook page....

Read the books and ditch the sho IMHO....

I see. There is so much to get through before that part, though. I hope I won't regret the time ai invested lol.

But it's not about the portrayal, to me. I am angry at the deed. Didn't he promise/swear not to?

WastingTime

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 5:07 pm
I am a fan of the novels and season 3 of the show is making me mad! (SPOILER ALERT if you haven't watched up to the current episode)
There is such digression from the book and I can't understand why Diana Gabaldon agreed to this. I almost closed it in the middle of e6 when Jamie made the Willie revelation. Was sooo wrong!!! I have resigned to the fact that the show is a separate entity to the book, but why did they have to change so much?
Even small things that they changed for no reason. I loved the timing in the book that Marsali walks in on Jamie and Claire, here it doesn't have the same effect. What really bothered me in e8 was that Loghaire wasn't actually trying to shoot Jamie. But anyway the whole thing is awful because in the book Jamie didn't know Loghaire tried to get Claire burned at the stake. And in the show he did. I feel like since Claire has returned there has been too much bickering -whether Jamie and Claire or Jenny and Claire...get on it with it, there's so much left of the book, all the action to come is gonna have to be terribly crammed in.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 7:24 pm
I am almost done with the second book. Now I am sorry I watched before reading... Knowing what's coming takes away some of the book's dramatic power, even though I get confused at the mismatch of events. For example, I expected Colum's presence at the Fraser castle, like in the show. It's not possible in the book. They do explain some of the changes, if you read the interviews. Now the original and the changes are a mess in my head. I do miss Rupert and Angus, though. They made a great addition.

My biggest regret is that I keep wondering what my imagination would have conjured instead of Balfe and Heughan. Now I won't know...

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 9:50 pm
Gabaldon was not involved in the productions. Apparently when she sold the rights she didn't retain any interests. When you look at Alias Grace and Handmaids Tale you can see how it's a benefit to have the author as a producer.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:53 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Gabaldon was not involved in the productions. Apparently when she sold the rights she didn't retain any interests. When you look at Alias Grace and Handmaids Tale you can see how it's a benefit to have the author as a producer.

Are you sure about this? I understood she was involved (not as producer but she oversaw/approved)- at least at the beginning. She was even in the credits.

I think they use these excuses of why they need to change things that aren't valid. They also have to make it 'appropriate' for 21 century viewers. Even though it is meant to take place in the 18th. Like the Geneva scene, I understand why they altered it- maybe it would trigger people or whatever but in the book I was like "she deserves it!"
They made too much modern day family drama that wasn't there in the book instead of focusing on the plot action and the eternal bond that Jamie and Claire have (which by the way in season 2 was so severely lost that when he sent her back through the stones I didn't see the big deal of it- but they had not time for their relationship because Claire had to struggle with made up PTSD instead) .
Anyway I will get off my soapbox now, and of course will keep watching as there is some pretty interesting/freaky things coming up in Voyager and I'm curious how they will play them out- did see a few second trailer of it...looked pretty cool! And anyway its an addiction, I can't NOT watch!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:55 pm
WastingTime wrote:
Are you sure about this? I understood she was involved (not as producer but she oversaw/approved)- at least at the beginning. She was even in the credits. ...

The question is what was she credited for? Writing the original book? Contributing to the screen play?

ETA: I just double checked, she did contribute the screenplay but for some reason didn't retain control of the editing.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

WastingTime

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:
I am almost done with the second book. Now I am sorry I watched before reading... Knowing what's coming takes away some of the book's dramatic power, even though I get confused at the mismatch of events. For example, I expected Colum's presence at the Fraser castle, like in the show. It's not possible in the book. They do explain some of the changes, if you read the interviews. Now the original and the changes are a mess in my head. I do miss Rupert and Angus, though. They made a great addition.

My biggest regret is that I keep wondering what my imagination would have conjured instead of Balfe and Heughan. Now I won't know...

Part of the problem is you can't find an actor that matches the EXACT description of the character. So Jamie is not tall enough, his eyes are not dark enough, and they are not slanted. Claire is meant to have brown/amber eyes. Like whisky. Which makes it even more frustrating that Brianna, who is meant to have Jamie's eyes, has brown eyes- because if both parents have blue... but anyway the biggest problem with Brianna is not her looks but that she's an awful actress and really bad match for Brianna. Brianna was not so terribly annoying in the book!

WastingTime

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:59 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
The question is what was she credited for? Writing the original book? Contributing to the screen play?

ETA: I just double checked, she did contribute the screenplay but for some reason didn't retain control of the editing.

Our friend Wikipedia:
Gabaldon was employed as consultant to the TV production.[18] When asked in June 2015 about the adaptation of the first season, she said: "I think they did condense it very effectively ... I ended up getting most of the things that I felt strongly about in there. There were only a few instances where the most important stuff in my opinion didn't get in".[19] In March 2015, she said of the scripts for season two: "The Parisian stuff is very good, and in fact I'm deeply impressed by the outlines I've seen ... I think they've done a wonderful job of pulling out the most important plot elements and arranging them in a convincing way".[20] Gabaldon wrote the screenplay for the 2016 season two episode "Vengeance is Mine".[21]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics