Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Update on the question I had about narcotics
1  2  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 3:46 pm
A family member of mine hurt themselves and needed stitches. Was in the er and got 5 stitches. It was excruciatingly painful. As the numbing was wearing off it got significantly worse. The doctor who did it said to take Tylenol/Motrin. Thing is that this person doesn't respond well to either of them. They told the doctor but he refused to prescribe narcotics.

Came home and the pain was very severe after taking 975 mg Tylenol. So it was decided to go to regular doctor. He too didn't want to give. He said that he's not the treating physician and can only give a 800 mg Motrin prescription. So bh" the pain went from a ten to a five. Not as severe.

The doctors assistant and the doctor called the hospital to see what was in the file. How come they refused? Right away. This person doesn't have a history of drug abuse and it was confirmed by the hospital that this person was there. And got stitches. It wasn't a made up thing,we also bought our er release papers from hospital about this.

So what prompted them to refuse? I do not understand. Even everything was confirmed the normal and were frum people who have no history to be presumed an addict when we have never ever done anything like this is sos hurtful and to watch this person being treated like a criminal when they are in so much pain is making me ask why?

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 3:50 pm
I'm not a medical person so you can disregard what I'm saying. Maybe they don't give those strong painkillers just for stitches. I would think it is really odd to ask for oxy for stitches.

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 3:58 pm
octopus wrote:
I'm not a medical person so you can disregard what I'm saying. Maybe they don't give those strong painkillers just for stitches. I would think it is really odd to ask for oxy for stitches.

This. The request is very atypical and more typical of drug seeking behavior.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:00 pm
The medical trend is to avoid prescribing narcotics except in the most serious cases.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:04 pm
Taking the pain down to a 5 is great. It does not require narcotics. The risks outweigh the benefits.

Its way to simple to become addicted to oxy. Motrin can do the trick.

All doctors today are prescribing various non addictive pain meds. So, where they easily would have prescribed heavier stuff, they resort to muscle relaxing meds such as naproxen etc..

Stitches are topical; they dont require heavy doses to subdue the injury. Unlike, say, a root canal.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:13 pm
Ok Jewish foodie thanks for being open and honest. So my question is now how come if my tooth gets pulled and even if I don't need it I am being prescribed? There are no stitches in the mouth so why is it so much easier to get then? The pain is way less. Also I had my tooth pulled or have a root canal and had no pain why is it then so much easier to get? And this person was in so much pain. It was excruciating and only when they took 800 mg.

So I hear you about addiction. But when I had my tooth pulled I received a full bottle of oxy even though I didnt

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
Ok Jewish foodie thanks for being open and honest. So my question is now how come if my tooth gets pulled and even if I don't need it I am being prescribed? There are no stitches in the mouth so why is it so much easier to get then? The pain is way less. Also I had my tooth pulled or have a root canal and had no pain why is it then so much easier to get? And this person was in so much pain. It was excruciating and only when they took 800 mg.

So I hear you about addiction. But when I had my tooth pulled I received a full bottle of oxy even though I didnt

Wow, who is your dentist? My dentist does NOT prescribe narcotics, ibuprofen only.

cnc

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:26 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Wow, who is your dentist? My dentist does NOT prescribe narcotics, ibuprofen only.

I was also given Percocet and Vikodin without even asking for it when I got my wisdom teeth pulled. Other people told me similarly. I think dentists/ oral surgeons prescribe very easily BUT this was almost a decade ago. I doubt they can prescribe it so easily nowadays. Firstly, there is much more awareness as to how addictive these painkillers are. Secondly, states have monitoring systems in place now and look out for doctors that over- prescribe . Systems get flagged. (A relative of mine takes a precribed controlled substance. It can only be prescribed one month at a time. There are no refilled allowed. Every single month a new prescription needs to be written and sent in. This system was not in place years ago.)

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:27 pm
cnc wrote:
I was also given Percocet and Vikodin without even asking for it when I got my wisdom teeth pulled. Other people told me similarly. I think dentists/ oral surgeons prescribe very easily BUT this was almost a decade ago. I doubt they can prescribe it so easily nowadays. Firstly, there is much more awareness as to how addictive these painkillers are. Secondly, states have monitoring systems in place now and look out for doctors that over- prescribe . Systems get flagged. (A relative of mine takes a precribed controlled substance. It can only be prescribed one month at a time. There are no refilled allowed. Every single month a new prescription needs to be written and sent in. This system was not in place years ago.)

Wisdom tooth removal is still different than having a tooth pulled or root canal as OP described.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:28 pm
The reason oxy was asked was because usually Motrin and Tylenol don't work well with this person. So y'all saying that no matter how much pain narcotics are avoided even when the body won't respond. Ok it doesn't sound normal to allow someone so much pain and just ignore it.

Also you do know that it was a severe injury work related and a piece of the finger was hanging. Just so you know how severe it was. It wasn't small cut it was pretty significant.

I'm just not understanding how people get so hung on the wrong details when the obvious is right there. I'm not understanding.

Also if they are afraid of addiction they could have given for 2 days enough just for the first 24 hours when pain is most severe and if there's more pain to come bac. I would think that avoids addiction and yet it helps people who have injury. I think things need to be worked on in a normal fashion night like we are all criminals. It's sad

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:31 pm
There are those, especially red heads apparently, according to the write up I read, that have a tooth pulled and are in such excruciating pain, they literally cannot tolerate it.
The gums are extremely sensitive and if a tooth is young and not rotten, pain is SOP.

So they give it then, freely.

Stiches, not so much.

They also give it if they can't quantify the pain. Like excruciating back pain from a fall.

But stitches? Kids get them on a daily basis and they're fine..

So have a tooth pulled and use the meds for the stitches patient? 😁

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:35 pm
Honestly, I'm not getting the doctor. The ER, I get, but your own doctor should be more understanding IMHO.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:37 pm
Yes when I lived in Brooklyn there is a dentist that pulled my wisdom tooth not once but at three different times and I got a prescription for oxy no questions asked. I didn't use it cause I had no pain. That was about 5-6 years ago.

It's sad that all of us that when it's really needed get treated like criminals, that's all I'm saying.

Had you seen this family member in pain you would have cried. I couldn't watch it. It was shaking from anger at being treated like a criminal whe had this doctor just said try the 800 Motrin and if it doesn't work come back later or tomorrow. Nothing doing it was as if he wasn't a doctor practicing medicine. It was a rasha. That had no rachmanus on a human being in pain.

If this person would have a history I would understand but no, they knew this person. It hurts me deeply. And btw this is a frum practice in a frum place. I won't say names.

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
The reason oxy was asked was because usually Motrin and Tylenol don't work well with this person. So y'all saying that no matter how much pain narcotics are avoided even when the body won't respond. Ok it doesn't sound normal to allow someone so much pain and just ignore it.

Also you do know that it was a severe injury work related and a piece of the finger was hanging. Just so you know how severe it was. It wasn't small cut it was pretty significant.

I'm just not understanding how people get so hung on the wrong details when the obvious is right there. I'm not understanding.

Also if they are afraid of addiction they could have given for 2 days enough just for the first 24 hours when pain is most severe and if there's more pain to come bac. I would think that avoids addiction and yet it helps people who have injury. I think things need to be worked on in a normal fashion night like we are all criminals. It's sad

Um, no. The obvious is not there in your original op. In your op you say the person needed five stitches. Not that their finger was dangling off.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:44 pm
No no, this person has had root canals and has gotten wisdom teeth pulled but did not experience pain necessary for narcotics and this person tolerates pain well. The sad thing is all of us at some point or another have to suffer for the actions of people who can't control their addictions. Sad sad sad.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 4:59 pm
octopus wrote:

Maybe you never had stitches in your life and don't know how painful it can be

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 5:04 pm
octopus wrote:
Um, no. The obvious is not there in your original op. In your op you say the person needed five stitches. Not that their finger was dangling off.

So now just cause I didn't want to be graffic you don't beleive me either.? Ok let me be clear, a part of the finger was hanging. Maybe that's why you all didn't understand.

So that's probably why he didn't either understand.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
No no, this person has had root canals and has gotten wisdom teeth pulled but did not experience pain necessary for narcotics and this person tolerates pain well. The sad thing is all of us at some point or another have to suffer for the actions of people who can't control their addictions. Sad sad sad.

no. that's not how it works. Its not about controlling addictions, its about avoiding getting people addicted in the first place - by not prescribing medication that does that.

Was there tendon repair, with a surgeon?

mommyla

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 5:15 pm
If it was only 5 stitches then it was probably a superficial piece that was hanging off, not with tendon repair or even internal stitches. I've done that before. It hurts, but not nearly enough to justify serious painkillers. Sounds like the doctor was being cautious, so many addiction stories start with a prescription for something simple.

gold21

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 5:26 pm
I dunno, but that sux.

Nobody should have to be in that kind of pain when there are painkillers out there that would take care of the pain.

I was recently prescribed a narcotic (either Tylenol w Codeine or Perkaset, honestly don't remember) after an extraction by an oral surgeon

I didn't take it cuz I didn't wanna be sleepy/ out of it.

Last edited by gold21 on Sun, Mar 18 2018, 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics