Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How Rude Is It To Brag?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:11 am
Im feeling very accomplished but wouldnt dear say that to anyone IRL as tomorrow is likely going to be a stressful day in most households.
Im having company who are newly frum and I knew yom tov would feel that much more beautiful if I had a nice spread by each meal.
I made a pretty elaborate menu and started cooking 3 weeks ago. Im not always the best at advance prep but im so proud of myself, I have officially finished cooking! I was done almost everything before shabbos but I made some roasted veggies tonight and also set the table and cleaned for yt. I plan to spend the day with the kids mostly out of the house tomorrow. I honestly cant believe myself that I dont have anything to do tomorrow. Im sooo grateful to Hashem right now!!

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:14 am
Great job!!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:15 am
I literally just put the first thing in my oven less than an hour ago, but I'm sincerely happy for you! Given my life circumstances, I found it less stressful to do it all erev yt or on YT itself. I also have zero freezer space and not an inch in my home or my budget to buy another freezer, so it wasn't much of a choice. Everyone does what works for them, and this worked well for you. Enjoy your Yom tov, your guests, and your accomplishments!

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:18 am
I personally am soo proud! It's such a feeling of accomplishment! You go girl! And look at you, making Judaism appealing to others!! That's awesome!! Keep up your great work! Though if you post your menu, you're gonna have a lot more guest than you planned😉!

Keep it up! May this zchus be what carries you to the next year, and may it be filled with yeshuos, refuos, parnasah and simchos!

It's not bragging. It's accomplishing! Keep it up! (you give me strength to continue cooking tonight. Who knew that the marrieds want to come eat tomorrow AFTERNOON, because they are, well, hungry! As are we all erev Yom tov! So off I go to get some food ready for the troops.. Maybe if you have free time, you can... Well, come on over and cook for me!)

Way to go!!

Ihatepotatoes

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:19 am
Nothing wrong, except you're making me hate you!

But seriously, kudos to you. Pat yourself on the back and get some sleep.

I burnt all my main dishes, so I cried my way into going to my mother for You Tov TMI

Last edited by Ihatepotatoes on Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:21 am
Brag away! Kudos to you!! 👌🏻

lucky14

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:21 am
Of course you can brag! I'm sure it is such an amazing feeling. Have fun with your kids tomorrow!

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:24 am
Very rude IRL, so great call to celebrate yourself here Wink

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:28 am
What did you cook and what did you freeze? Can you please elaborate. I would like to learn from you and hopefully try to it also.

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:28 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I literally just put the first thing in my oven less than an hour ago, but I'm sincerely happy for you! Given my life circumstances, I found it less stressful to do it all erev yt or on YT itself. I also have zero freezer space and not an inch in my home or my budget to buy another freezer, so it wasn't much of a choice. Everyone does what works for them, and this worked well for you. Enjoy your Yom tov, your guests, and your accomplishments!

I am with you. Everyone has to do what works for them. I don't have my menu yet. I will go food shopping tomorrow and see what looks nice.

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:37 am
I'm happy for you. Enjoy!

honeymoon

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:42 am
Good for you! As long as you are anonymous, go ahead and brag! Very Happy

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 1:03 am
Wow that is great! I just moved on Wednesday so I haven't done anything but my house is over halfway unpacked so that's an accomplishment. I'm only on the site while I'm drinking my coffee and then I'm off to start cooking!

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 4:58 am
Not rude at all!
I was in a lazy mood, and your post motivated me to get moving Smile

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 5:25 am
Wow ! I’m impressed. I just woke up at 5 am so I could start my day before everyone wakes up . There is SO much still for me to do and it’ll take me all day. Good for you. Pat yourself on your back and have a gut gebentched yuhr.

Surrendered

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 5:25 am
IRL, never brag.
Especially not with your accomplishments.
It can create jealousy, make others feel less adequate and feeling bad about themselves. It can make them hate you.
You got a gift from Hashem that you were so geshikt, appreciate it, Thank HIM. You can talk about it to your DH, kids, mom. But not to outsiders, friends, neighbors...

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 5:34 am
My mother is a last minute person and a the memories I have from erev yom tov is stress and nerves!!! So I decided to take in shabbes and yom tov in a relaxing way. I also cooked lots in advanced and freeze . All left to do today is cook the fish and bake 1 side dish
My mom also cooks a lot on yom tov . She never relaxes . I just put a hot plate and only have to reheat my food .
Yom tov is a time to bond with the kids , daven , relax , read !!! Love it

Wishing you all a happy and healthy new year

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 5:52 am
The best thing to do, it to make it look effortless. Don't talk about how much work you put into it. Thank Hashem for everything.

Not everyone has the strength, family, organizational skills, helpful DH, etc. Be careful of those who might have struggles you don't know about.

Be super cautious about what you say out loud, because Hashem might make your plata burn out an hour after candle lighting. We all need a little extra humility now and then, and if we draw attention to ourselves... well, better to practice humility in the first place, instead of having the lesson sent to you. Wink

Enjoy your blessings!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 7:52 am
I picked up one of those sale booklets that are available on street corners in Crown Heights and checked out what people are paying for carry-out. For $45 you can get 15 servings of mashed potatoes but I would imagine that this option either really appeals to some people or is the only option that they have.
Personally I like the "keep it simple sweetie" mantra especially with the new baby grandchild, BH.
The kids may have better memories of Yom tov if the preparations are less intense.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 8:51 am
Im working all day today and have guests tonight. Hubby is too. But we have everything we need and we can always cook on yom Tov if we need more. Kol hakavod!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur