Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Im selling a camera UPDATE: I WAS NEARLY SCAMMED
Previous  1  2

miri36

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 3:46 pm
If they ever offer more money and want you to do some fishy business with it, it's a scam.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 3:57 pm
It's good you caught it in time.
I've sold many times on Craigslist.
It's a classic scam, was probably tried on almost every item I listed. Now you know.
The only legit sales were those that came by to see it/ pick it up and I accepted cash only. Never deliver on craigslist.
When you list an item description you should write pickup and cash only.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:07 pm
asmileaday wrote:
It's good you caught it in time.
I've sold many times on Craigslist.
It's a classic scam, was probably tried on almost every item I listed. Now you know.
The only legit sales were those that came by to see it/ pick it up and I accepted cash only. Never deliver on craigslist.
When you list an item description you should write pickup and cash only.

And if it's not a large item. Pick up in a public place. So random people don't know your address.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:11 pm
Overpaying and then asking you back for the extra money is a common way of scamming, even if they pay via Quickpay or something. FlatbushGirl once explained an elaborate scam where she lost a few hundred dollars because she paid them back but she lost the money they gave her or something like that. It was too complicated for me to remember.

enneamom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not sure what youre trying to say. I wasnt aware and now I am. Life is all about learning from your mistakes isnt it?

I wasn't blaming you. On the contrary, I was saying that you can't be expected to know about Craigslist scams if you know nothing about Craigslist, so don't beat yourself up about it.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:59 pm
Even when selling on Ebay, you have to be careful. If a buyer becomes too complicated and starts asking if they could pay with gift cards, check... I've learned to just report them.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:06 pm
Yes, ppl get scammed all the time on craiglist, ebay and everywhere else.
Never take checks. never give them change.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:36 pm
Yes because a "legitimate" check can bounce.

Also would not want random strangers at my home, good point about sending it in the mail/UPS.
The world can be a crazy place these days. Don't take chances.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:08 pm
Years ago, this Israeli man started talking to me on the NYC subway. He said he was from tzfat which is where my grandparents were from, so we were talking. Then he gave me some story which ended with him asking if he could go with me to a bank and cash a check for him, he'd leave it in my account and take the cash, but the money would be in the account. Some story about him not having a bank account here, who knows. I didn't understand how that could be a fraud (I thought a bank would know if a check wouldn't go through - not realizing it could take time) but I knew something sounded off. I asked him why he doesn't just buy a money order, started going through some other options with him about how he could get money, and he kept shooting it down. I didn't know exactly what his scam was but my Brooklyn street smarts told me something was up and of course I just told him I couldn't do that. I was just really disappointed that an Israeli Jew would try to use my grandfather's connection to his tiny hometown to scam money from me. Disappointing people come in all shapes and sizes. Sad

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:54 am
The Israeli man on the subway is a common scam. Especially if it’s on a Friday or before a holiday and they say - I need cash to get somewhere before the Shabbat or holiday. I know at least one friend who lost a lot of money that way (60 dollars when we were broke college students). I don’t remember if I was ever approached but I am good at repelling people or just saying I don’t have any money (which is always true because money burns a hole in my pocket).

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:45 am
I had the same story. And I advertised in a heimishe local newspaper. (It wasnt a jewish person) I was suspicious from the beginning but took me time to realize I'm right. I was selling furniture, and He claimed needed emergency because was moving the next day. I asked him how got to the local newspaper, and how was planning to move without furniture. He had a answer for everything which made sense. I got a business check in the mail which deposited but I contacted the bank how long it takes to clear and shouldnt be able to bounce. And told him cant give him the $$ before that. In the meantime I called the business that was on the check. Owner claimed that was a fraud check. And they know the problem, someone is printing checks with their account info. When told him that its fraud & hes not getting any money back he started yelling at me that I'm stealing his money because I deposited the check. And he'll come down to my house to get back the $$. As much as I knew he wont come down - I freaked out. Was probably scariest day of my life.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im selling my Canon camera SX530 HS in brand new condition just the lens cover is a little cracked not the lens.
Will come with case, camera strap, battery, and battery charger
Asking for $200 or best offer

I'm sorry you had to deal with scammers. Does your camera come with a cable to transfer pictures onto a computer? I don't have a smart phone, so I could really use a camera to upload pictures onto the internet.

My old camera lost it's cable in a move, and I haven't found it for years. That cable is specific to that model, and it's not made anymore. Mad

I could send you the money by Paypal, if you could ship it to Israel. Yael can vouch for me that I am a legitimate person. If you bank with Chase, I could also use Quickpay, which is absolutely safe.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics