Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Paxlovid for covid

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 7:16 pm
Has anyone taken paxlovid to treat covid? Is it risky? What are the side effects?

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 7:22 pm
OP first of all refuah shlaima! Second please ask your doctor and do not rely on anonymous internet yentas. I guarantee you this will immediately become one of those COVID threads where you will get all sorts of opinions and comments that will not be useful to you. But I will add that my family members took Paxlovid when they had COVID and they felt they recovered faster, but it has a bad aftertaste.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 7:23 pm
Stay FAR FAR away

Causes deadly blood clots
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/he......html

No evidence of benefit in younger adults
https://rumble.com/v1hg10h-new......html

Symptoms rebound
https://www.nbcnews.com/health.....25581

https://www.sciencetimes.com/a.....t.htm

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 7:26 pm
Maybe narrowing your question a bit would help. I’d assume from your op you might have some risk factor that would make you entertain taking such a med.

Would it be helpful to write in your title/or op that you have x risk factor and maybe others that were in a similar boat can share their experiences

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 7:36 pm
You need to take it as early as possible for it to be effective - preferably within three days of symptoms beginning, though they say up to five days can help.

Like any medication, most people do well with it, and a minority will develop unpleasant or, rarely, dangerous side effects. I've had to send one woman to hospital because of a dangerous reaction.

Rebound infection can occur, and it is thought that is due to the immune system not having time to fully react to the virus before the medication works. It's more likely to be seen in the elderly and those with depressed immune systems. Generally speaking, any rebound infection is mild.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 7:39 pm
Fauci, Biden, the cdc director all got a rebound case after taking paxlovid despite having many covid vaccines too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 7:40 pm
amother Red wrote:
Maybe narrowing your question a bit would help. I’d assume from your op you might have some risk factor that would make you entertain taking such a med.

Would it be helpful to write in your title/or op that you have x risk factor and maybe others that were in a similar boat can share their experiences

I don't have any risk factors besides for testing positive for covid. My Dr recommended it but I haven't heard about it. I wanted to know if others have taken it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 7:41 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Fauci, Biden, the cdc director all got a rebound case after taking paxlovid despite having many covid vaccines too.

My Dr mentioned that rebound infection is a possibility.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 7:49 pm
My friend took it when she had Covid and had a very mild case. Like a mild cold. Her friend who caught it at the same time and was the same age but didn’t take it had a much more serious case but nit hospitalized.

I would definitely take it if I tested positive as there are clinical studies showing it is helpful.

But I also am fully boosted and follow advice of trained doctors instead of internet conspiracists and yentas. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I don’t like being sick and anything that is suggested to alleviate symptoms or shorten the illness is something I want.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Nov 01 2022, 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 8:05 pm
OP did you ask your doctor about anti body treatment ?

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 8:15 pm
I took it when I had covid for a second time. It was closer to 4-5 days in and I suddenly started feeling much worse-definitely a lot worse than a cold. I was quite sick, but not at the point of hospitalization (you can't take it if it's that bad). It helped me start feeling better in less than 24 hours and I also got my smell back within that same timeframe too.

Left a terrible metallic taste in my mouth, but that was it.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 8:47 pm
The rebound infection is very mild so I’m not concerned about that. I would still prefer monoclonal antibodies but at this point many insurance companies not covering plus it’s not so effective anymore against this strain. It Really depends on the persons risk factors and how they are doing. If no risks and doing ok I would skip personally.

miami85

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 9:17 pm
So far Joe, Jill, Fauci and Walensky all were double, triple, quadruple vaxxed, got Covid, and got Paxlovid and ALL got the "rare" Covid Rebound 10 days later....

No thanks.

I took the monoclonal antibodies and it was great.

curlyhead

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 6:23 am
I took paxloid for covid as I had long covid and asthma (from covid)
3 drs recommended it so I listened to them.
I started it at day 3 by then I was already feeling a bit better and off Tylenol.

I had no side effects other than the horrible taste in my mouth.
The next morning after I had the 2nd dose I felt good and energetic. the next few days a bit weaker but was able to get on with my daily activities at home with rests in between while I was in iso.I tested negative by day 6.

Edited to add that with my first covid I took monocule antibodies and the side effect was a lot worse with burning high fever for the first 8 hours after that medication did not help

fleetwood

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 6:26 am
The infusion is not as effective against the omicron. Paxlovid worked great for us and anyone I know who took it. The bad taste was gone once we finished with the meds.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 8:59 am
My mother ended up in the hospital a few days after taking paxlovid she had a bad side effect !so I wouldn’t recommend it ! It’s a relatively new drug a lot of doctors are against it ..

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 9:15 am
Amarante wrote:
My friend took it when she had Covid and had a very mild case. Like a mild cold. Her friend who caught it at the same time and was the same age but didn’t take it had a much more serious case but nit hospitalized.

I would definitely take it if I tested positive as there are clinical studies showing it is helpful.

But I also am fully boosted and follow advice of trained doctors instead of internet conspiracists and yentas. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I don’t like being sick and anything that is suggested to alleviate symptoms or shorten the illness is something I want.

Can't imagine how many clinical studies there can be on its long term safety when it is a relatively new drug.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 11:45 am
Thanx all

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 6:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone taken paxlovid to treat covid? Is it risky? What are the side effects?

I took Paxlovid and my Covid went away quite quickly after, within a few days. My fever went away within a day or two and my Covid tests became fainter and fainter until it was clear a few days later. I had no side effects. Hope this helps!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics