Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cranial therapy alternative to braces?
Previous  1  2

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:42 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Sounds cool. What exactly do these therapies do to expand the jaw and airway? Like massage kind of stuff? How does it work?
Hard to explain on one foot but mostly about getting the tongue into proper resting position whatever that takes (exercises, functional orthodontic appliances, releasing restrictions on a tissue, fascia and osteopathic level) and optimal jaw development follows.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:19 pm
I am going to a Dr. (orthodontist) in northern NJ who is famous for this approach and all he did was give my child braces (for more money than regular non holistic orthodontists).

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:32 pm
amother Jade wrote:
I am going to a Dr. (orthodontist) in northern NJ who is famous for this approach and all he did was give my child braces (for more money than regular non holistic orthodontists).
Thats strange. Did he explain why? And why did you choose to stay with him if that’s all he was able to offer you?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 11:38 am
It was strange. I stuck with him b/c I had already paid a high consultation fee and I thought maybe he would introduce something holistic but it's just been regular braces.

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 11:40 am
amother Jade wrote:
It was strange. I stuck with him b/c I had already paid a high consultation fee and I thought maybe he would introduce something holistic but it's just been regular braces.
Doesn’t he go over his treatment plan before implementing it? How old is your child?

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 11:40 am
amother Aster wrote:
It's not that braces are so terrible per se, just that the standard orthodontic approach tends not to take into account how the mouth affects the airway and the rest of the body. It often makes an already small mouth smaller which restricts the airway and has negative downstream effects. A more holistic approach focuses on expanding the jaw and airway by working on proper tongue placement and mouth breathing, allowing for ample jaw and airway development, which has many downstream benefits. Aesthetics and straight teeth are a side benefit.

My son deals with this. The speech therapist says it's the cause of his speech issues.

Please tell me which practitioners to visit.

It's not even a braces issue, he isn't old enough for braces.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:26 pm
amother Jade wrote:

Is this Dr. Raphael? I was just planing to schedule an appointment with him.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 10:56 pm
The treatment plan he offered was braces or cosmetic. In retrospect I should not have stuck with him b/c I could have gotten braces somewhere else for less money.
Yes it's him.
He might offer something better or different to another person though (depending on their mouth I guess)?

amother
Tuberose

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 11:42 pm
amother Jade wrote:
The treatment plan he offered was braces or cosmetic. In retrospect I should not have stuck with him b/c I could have gotten braces somewhere else for less money.
Yes it's him.
He might offer something better or different to another person though (depending on their mouth I guess)?

What concerns were you looking to address that he only offered braces for? At what age?

amother
Tuberose

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 11:42 pm
Does anyone have experience with a significant underbite in a young child?

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:30 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
Does anyone have experience with a significant underbite in a young child?

Asking the same!

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:31 am
amother Jade wrote:
Yes it's him.
What does “or cosmetic” mean?

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:32 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
My son deals with this. The speech therapist says it's the cause of his speech issues.

Please tell me which practitioners to visit.

It's not even a braces issue, he isn't old enough for braces.
Look into ALF, myobrace or myomunchee. Also myofunctional therapy and tongue tie release if necessary, there’s a high likelihood he has a hidden tongue tie.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics