Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chedvas Shana bet

fish

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 9:38 am
What can you tell me about it? Anything and everything please. Looking for a Shana bet option for my out of town bais Yaakov daughter who wants to do another year in Israel. Tia

fish

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 2:46 pm
Anyone?

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 3:14 pm
I went there over 10 years ago. Great program, I gained a ton. But I know that it's changed over the years and I can't speak for what it is now.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 3:17 pm
Was part of Shana aleph 5 years ago. Its amazing! It's a out of box BY school a bit. As far as I know it hasn't changed since. Ask me anything.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 3:18 pm
All I can say is look into rabbi Kahane.
He protected meisals when the abuse allegations came out. I’d you live in Chicago, you should speak to Rav Fuerst about sending to Chedvas.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 3:40 pm
I went to chedvas a couple of years ago and it was an amazing place - real genuine growth, and literally a combination of the most amazing Teachers and Rabbonim, and I really made genuine connections with fantastic teachers

My parents looked into Rabbi Kahanes involvement in the Meisals scandal and spoke to Rabbi Feurst before I went and felt there was no reason for concern. They also have a very robust system set up to ensure appropriate boundries between rabbonim and students.

I was shana aleph - but the Shana bet is more of the out of the box beis yaakov- girls from places like Kitov, keser chaya, ateres with a sprinkling from the more right wing seminaries.

Usually girls are coming to shana bet for a reason - either is because they are from OOT and dont really have much to go back to post HS in there community or because there are emotional/ family issues that they are working thru. Chedvas is very on top of that kind of stuff, and on sending people to therapy, but it is something to be aware of - some of the girls will be dealing with heavy things.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 3:54 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
All I can say is look into rabbi Kahane.
He protected meisals when the abuse allegations came out. I’d you live in Chicago, you should speak to Rav Fuerst about sending to Chedvas.

Not sure where you heard this. Rabbi Kahane is very open about the fact he was running chedvas while meisals opened it and that due to the scandal they have a lot of things in place to prevent anything or any girl there to feel unsafe.

The secretary always does roll call so male teachers do not learn girls names. Rabbi Kahane made sure to call every girl by their first and last name at all time, he called girls Ms Rachel Leah Cohen for example every single time he mentioned any girls name.

Rabbi Kahane only meets with girls in his office on the main floor during times the seminary was open and has people freely coming in and out. The only way to meet with him privately was by making an appointment with the school secretary. No one gets his phone number. If you would like to go to the Kahanaes for a shabbos meal you are welcome to call his wife who is also a teacher at Chedvas.

We had a class on what a healthy normal connection to a Rav a single girl should have, how to find a rav who is matim for you, and red flags. We had classes on relationship and dating red flags as well. Chedvas is very into mental health.

Rabbi Kahane was in charge of the Chedvas program owned by Rabbi Meisels but Rabbi Meisels had nothing to do with how it ran or what classes they had or anything. Rabbi Kahane had the full freedom to shape chedvas and after the scandal bought it off and moved it to a different neighborhood and it has no connected to any other seminary.

I don't think Rav Zev Leff would be teaching at a seminary run by someone who protected an abuser.

fish

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 6:28 pm
Anyone know how to contact them for more info?

motherqueen

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:13 pm
I attended chedvas shana bet in 2020 ask me anything. I bh had an amazing experience wld love to send my girls there when the time is right.

fish

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:53 pm
Do you know if their is a half day option for girls doing touro?

motherqueen

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:20 pm
fish wrote:

they do accommodate for collage classes.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 1:47 am
fish wrote:

Their classes are in the morning and at night. The afternoons are free. They do accomadate to take off classes for college as well.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 2:06 am
fish wrote:

There where girls who did Touro and they where always allowed any time off they need for college. Chedvas is very accommodating for college in general, although they do require the girls to be on top of informing the person in charge of attendance as to when they will be taking off.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 5:50 am
I lived nearby and the girls would sometimes babysit for me. Really sweet nice girl. If your daughter is very sheltered she may be in for a shock. The typical BY girl is not going Shana bet. I think a lot of the Chedva’s girls have a story. Not necessarily a bad thing they are great girls all in all… just not your typical run of the mil BY girl who is running back to NY to start dating.

Examples so I’m not being vague is probably therapy there is more normalized, girls who don’t have great relationships with their parents, siblings off the derech, parents divorced etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics