Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Probe procedure for blocked tear duct

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 11:21 pm
Anyone’s DC had this? With or without the stent? We just saw the ophthalmologist today with 16mo DC. We are nervous first-time parents, anxious about DC going under anesthesia. The doctor said the sooner we have the procedure done, the better, and that the success rate goes down the longer people wait. Please share any advice, suggestions, reassurance, feedback, etc! Thank you ladies!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 5:41 am
Bump

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 6:08 am
My dc had a mildly blocked or narrow tear duct as a baby. The left eye was always leaking tears. Twice it got inflamed. It got better and stopped on its own beyond age 2-3.
But every case is different. If your doctor recommends treatment, it's probably necessary.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 6:28 am
OP, if you're nervous, it's a good idea to get a second opinion, and if they also say to do the procedure, to request to meet with the anesthesiologist.

I've been really impressed with the advances in anesthesia over the years of my life. These days, there are excellent monitors tied into the medication delivery, and they can and do make sure a person under anesthesia is safe the entire time.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 6:38 am
We did the procedure. It was quick and easy. They did it outpatient and my child recovered quickly

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 7:02 am
We did it. Probing didn’t work long term and dc’s lungs collapsed from the anesthesia and then got eye tubes which worked till they fell out. Hatzlacha!

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 8:05 am
My DD had the stent around that age. It was quick and easy, she was cranky for a short time after coming out of anesthesia but totally fine afterwards and no more eye infections bH! She’s 5 now.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 8:11 am
We did it. Happy we did it. Was nervous before and during but after was happy we did it. We tried the massaging before to avoid surgery but it didn't work so we did the surgery. My child didn't need the stent, just poked them. Under anesthesia. It worked great and we had no issues after that. BH. I don't know where you're located, but we are in Baltimore. If you are too I can tell you which Dr we used.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 8:14 am
We did it but it didn’t work. I declined to do it again and it eventually went away by itself

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 12:26 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies! I think honestly I’m more nervous about DC going under anesthesia than about the procedure itself (even though eye stuff makes me really anxious). I would love to go for a second opinion, but it took us a while to get in with this doctor, and the other doctor who was recommended to us does not have an opening until September.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 11:01 am
I’m also nervous because DS gets thirsty at night and we wouldn’t be allowed to give him anything to drink for 12 hours before the procedure, (possibly we might be able to give him some water or ice chips until eight hours before the procedure, we are waiting to hear from the medical center about that). I understand the reasoning for it, but I know how horrible it feels to wake up desperately thirsty in the middle of the night and not be able to get a drink. And to be little enough that he can’t yet cognitively understand why we wouldn’t be meeting that need at that moment.

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 11:09 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m also nervous because DS gets thirsty at night and we wouldn’t be allowed to give him anything to drink for 12 hours before the procedure, (possibly we might be able to give him some water or ice chips until eight hours before the procedure, we are waiting to hear from the medical center about that). I understand the reasoning for it, but I know how horrible it feels to wake up desperately thirsty in the middle of the night and not be able to get a drink. And to be little enough that he can’t yet cognitively understand why we wouldn’t be meeting that need at that moment.

My DD who had this procedure also had tubes a year later, so we've done anesthesia a couple of times. We did both at CHOP. Their policy was water or clear apple juice before surgery, up until like half an hour before or something like that. And they take the younger kids in first so yours will probably be pretty early.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics