Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Ebt question
Previous  1  2

Do you use up your ebt balance each month?
I have just the right amount on my card  
 2%  [ 1 ]
I have extra each month  
 16%  [ 7 ]
I need to pay out of pocket a lot  
 60%  [ 26 ]
Each month is different  
 20%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 43

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 2:15 pm
I don't know how I spend that much. It just all adds up. I eat salad for lunch and supper and it's $6 a bag of lettuce. Just that alone comes out very expensive
Plus yogurts produce vegetables

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 2:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't know how I spend that much. It just all adds up. I eat salad for lunch and supper and it's $6 a bag of lettuce. Just that alone comes out very expensive

If your low on cash don't buy the $6 bag of pre-checked lettuce. But the 3 packs of Romaine for about 2.99 and check it yourself. You'll get double the amount for less than half the price.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 2:37 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
If your low on cash don't buy the $6 bag of pre-checked lettuce. But the 3 packs of Romaine for about 2.99 and check it yourself. You'll get double the amount for less than half the price.

Time is money. It's very time consuming to do

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 2:46 pm
amother OP wrote:

Then this is the culprit. You must must must track your spending for a few months and see where you are spending.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 2:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

Switch to another kind of veggie salad that doesn't require checking the vegetables. It's a very expensive diet if you can't afford it.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 2:49 pm
amother OP wrote:

Time is money, but that doesn't justify spending money you don't have. If you don't have the money then you have to put in the time. Or choose something that requires less time and money.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 2:50 pm
Op, why are you asking? Just out of curiosity? Or because you're shocked and want more?

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 2:52 pm
amother OP wrote:

That’s a very popular thing to say but it’s not true. Time is not money. Money is money. If you don’t have enough money, you have to cut down to make it stretch longer.

We don’t qualify anymore for foodstamps, but money is so tight we literally sometimes dig between the cushions for milk money.

Checked lettuce is a massive luxury we have never ever been able to afford. I check my own, pesach included.

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 3:05 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
Op that’s an insane amount to spend in 2 weeks. You can be eating meat and chicken every night for supper while spending that amount . I know bec I bh do!
Plus if you qualify for ebt and have you g kids, you qualify for wic , so you are also getting cheese, milk , juice , yogurt, cereal, bread , fruits and vegetables etc
I’m literally in shock that you spend so much on food a month.

You can only get wic if you're pregnant nursing, or have kids under 5 yrs old!
We don't know that OP is getting wic and for how many people.
(If she's pregnant and has 3 kids under the age of 5, that's a lot of extra food.
But she could also be getting very little or nothing at all!)

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 3:08 pm
Op my guess is that you're shopping in expensive local grocery stores!
Try to buy chicken and meat in bulk in cheaper store or when there's a sale and freeze.
Eat according to what's on sale rather than make a menu and buy necessary ingredients for what you had in mind!
Check what you buy and see what you can cut out. (Snack bags, soda, ready made food?)

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 3:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

If you don't have enough money for food you make sacrifices. Just because you want to buy expensive foods doesn't mean you aren't getting enough ebt. I don't get ebt and you can be sure I can't afford pre checked lettuce.

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 3:16 pm
I use it up before 2 weeks of the month. It’s hard. Food is so pricey.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 4:01 pm
Which came first pricey food or ebt?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 4:45 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Wow consider yourselves lucky. Our income is right above the eligibility threshold, thus making us pay all groceries on our own.

This is why I ask, when is it worth it to work or stay home and care for kids? If someone only making 50 k a year, they probably shouldn’t work if they have kids to care for. Just get food stamps and Medicaid and you’ll be set. Can stay home to care for kids too.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 5:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

You do realize that between the bagged lettuce and yogurts you are spending at least $500. Just on lettuce and yogurt.
BTW- you can buy classic iceberg dole and cole slaw mix for A LOT less.
It’s still expensive, and someone on a budget should think twice before splurging
By me the classic dole is $2.29 for 12 oz
The coleslaw mix $1.99 16 oz

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 7:00 pm
amother OP wrote:

Time is only comparable to money IF you could be making more than the amount you are spending on convenience foods/items. So a lawyer spending $6 on lettuce makes sense as he or she could make a few hundred dollars in the time spent checking.
You are not earning that much or you wouldn't be getting welfare programs.
If you cannot afford your food then you need to prioritize, make things yourself, check your own lettuce... you can't expect others to pay for your luxuries.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics