Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
When did Native Americans land in the Americas?
Previous  1  2

Genius

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 8:23 pm
Genius wrote:
I should really research vague things I hear because Genius feels phenomenally Dumb this fine evening.

Google seems to think that it has happened on occasion. Ahhh (softly) feeling so much better.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 8:22 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Google, obviously claims 15,000 to 30,000 years ago.
What do we believe?

Also curious how come 2 groups of people the Europeans and the Native Americans, and one goes on to advance their lives technologically and otherwise so much more than the other? What’s the reason behind it?

You should learn up on this. If you did you’d know the answer to this question😀

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 8:33 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Humans weren’t around at that time of Pangea

Hashem created humans when He created the world

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 8:54 pm
Chana Miriam S wrote:
You should learn up on this. If you did you’d know the answer to this question😀

Why don’t you explain?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 8:55 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Why don’t you explain?

If you read a little, you’d understand the complexity and the reason why I can’t spend days teaching you something you can both google and take courses about.

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 8:56 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

According to the theory Pangea broke up 175 Million years ago.
And there were no humans yet.

We obviously don’t believe in this….but if one does there were no humans around then, so they weren’t part of the breakup.

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 8:58 pm
Chana Miriam S wrote:
If you read a little, you’d understand the complexity and the reason why I can’t spend days teaching you something you can both google and take courses about.

Ok then, hopefully someone else will be willing to give a brief explanation…without being condescending.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 8:58 pm
Here’s a course I’m taking right now as a part of my current university course on the subject. https://elearning.ontariohealt.....d=120

As a healthcare professional this happens to be from a healthcare perspective but has a lot of general knowledge as well.

You can take this course too. There is no brief explanation. I’m not being condescending I’m saying make a little effort. If you care enough to ask, I’d think you’d care enough to learn.

octopus

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:01 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

No, humans weren't created until the sixth day. Whatever the length of a day means during creation.

ittsamother

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:12 pm
Chana Miriam S wrote:
Here’s a course I’m taking right now as a part of my current university course on the subject. https://elearning.ontariohealt.....d=120

As a healthcare professional this happens to be from a healthcare perspective but has a lot of general knowledge as well.

You can take this course too. There is no brief explanation. I’m not being condescending I’m saying make a little effort. If you care enough to ask, I’d think you’d care enough to learn.

Why would you take the time to type this whole response telling her that you know the answer but you're not gonna tell her, instead of just summarizing a brief answer for her? Even the most complicated thing in the world can be summarized into a general explanation in a paragraph if you know enough about it.

I don't know the answer but did a quick Google and there are a few ideas I came across really quickly.

One was that they were very isolated from the rest of the world. Europe and Asia had tons of countries and tons of cultures and tons of travel between them all, so ideas and knowledge and methods all spread very quickly, whereas America was separated from the rest and not as populated so those ideas weren't making it over here. Think about how fast technology is speeding up now, because due to the internet ideas and progress can be shared across the world in seconds. Any country that's not connected to the others is definitely gonna fall behind.

Another was that there wasn't as much competition for resources. There was a lot of space, they each had enough space to hunt, to gather, to live, so while there was still fighting between some tribes it was less than in Europe, so they didn't need to constantly concentrate on bettering their military tech. And most societies made the most technological progress in order to support their military and defense. Even walkie talkies were a military project!

GLUE

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:21 pm
In my very very basic search a few years ago here is what I learned.

People came to America both N. and S. from a few places.
In N. America people came across the Bering Sea and from Europe, Africa.

In S. America some people came from the Pacific there is a group of Islands that stretch over 3,000 miles from each point of the triangle inhabited by people called the Polynesians. Many of the customs of Polynesians and some S. American tribes are all most the same.

Dor H'Fluga, many hold that during this time Hashem split the continent and were you were standing on the land when it split that is were you ended up. I never learned all the details of this.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:25 pm
octopus wrote:
No, humans weren't created until the sixth day. Whatever the length of a day means during creation.

Well, yes, that's what I meant, but do you think that days may have been longer then and not like our days today?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:34 pm
ittsamother wrote:
Why would you take the time to type this whole response telling her that you know the answer but you're not gonna tell her, instead of just summarizing a brief answer for her? Even the most complicated thing in the world can be summarized into a general explanation in a paragraph if you know enough about it.

I don't know the answer but did a quick Google and there are a few ideas I came across really quickly.

One was that they were very isolated from the rest of the world. Europe and Asia had tons of countries and tons of cultures and tons of travel between them all, so ideas and knowledge and methods all spread very quickly, whereas America was separated from the rest and not as populated so those ideas weren't making it over here. Think about how fast technology is speeding up now, because due to the internet ideas and progress can be shared across the world in seconds. Any country that's not connected to the others is definitely gonna fall behind.

Another was that there wasn't as much competition for resources. There was a lot of space, they each had enough space to hunt, to gather, to live, so while there was still fighting between some tribes it was less than in Europe, so they didn't need to constantly concentrate on bettering their military tech. And most societies made the most technological progress in order to support their military and defense. Even walkie talkies were a military project!

Ummm. Because there is no brief answer.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:40 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Well, yes, that's what I meant, but do you think that days may have been longer then and not like our days today?

There is a shita that this is the disparity with the 4.5 billion years that the world believes in and our 5784 years. Each day of creation could have been millions/billions of years.

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:44 pm
ra_mom wrote:
There is a shita that this is the disparity with the 4.5 billion years that the world believes in and our 5784 years. Each day of creation could have been millions/billions of years.

Yes, heard of that….

zaq

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 10:01 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

Absolutely. We have no reason to believe that a "day" of creation was a day as we know it. As the Psalmist indicates, כִּ֤י אֶ֪לֶף שָׁנִ֡ים בְּֽעֵינֶ֗יךָ כְּי֣וֹם אֶ֭תְמוֹל כִּ֣י יַֽעֲבֹ֑ר וְאַשְׁמוּרָ֥ה בַלָּֽיְלָה--a thousand years in Your eyes are like yesterday that passed, like a watch in the night.

The night was divided into several watches, or shifts, usually about three or four hours each. If you want to get mathematical about it, if we say 1000 years is to Hashem like four hours to a human, His "day" would be 6000 years long. Of course, we don't need to take that literally, either. The Psalmist did not necessarily know precisely how long one of Hashem's days is; he's simply saying that G-d's sense of time is far longer than a human being's. One of His days could be 6000 years or 6 million years or 600 million years.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

bigsis144

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 10:06 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Humans weren’t around at that time of Pangea

Oh thank goodness someone posted this

chanatron1000

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 10:07 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Google, obviously claims 15,000 to 30,000 years ago.
What do we believe?

Also curious how come 2 groups of people the Europeans and the Native Americans, and one goes on to advance their lives technologically and otherwise so much more than the other? What’s the reason behind it?

Much of that advancement happened within a relatively short timeframe, with a series of events that built on each other. It's possible that it could have happened anywhere, but global colonization happened before it had a chance.

bigsis144

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 10:30 pm
Quote:

Read the book “Guns, Germs and Steel” for a deep dive into this topic.

“Technological advancement” is a vague term, and has to be seen in the context of its society.

For example, some South American cultures technically had wheels, but they weren’t used for much besides children’s toys. Wagons just don’t make sense in mountainous areas - if llamas and alpacas work perfectly as beasts of burden for narrow mountain paths and bridges over chasms, then a wheel is a novelty, not a necessity.

Also, some “advancements” are significant yet less noticeable. The did some impressive agricultural and civil engineering - man-made canals, for example, or breeding crops like corn and potatoes to be larger, more digestible and more farmable.

juggling

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 11:37 pm
zaq wrote:
Absolutely. We have no reason to believe that a "day" of creation was a day as we know it. As the Psalmist indicates, כִּ֤י אֶ֪לֶף שָׁנִ֡ים בְּֽעֵינֶ֗יךָ כְּי֣וֹם אֶ֭תְמוֹל כִּ֣י יַֽעֲבֹ֑ר וְאַשְׁמוּרָ֥ה בַלָּֽיְלָה--a thousand years in Your eyes are like yesterday that passed, like a watch in the night.

The night was divided into several watches, or shifts, usually about three or four hours each. If you want to get mathematical about it, if we say 1000 years is to Hashem like four hours to a human, His "day" would be 6000 years long. Of course, we don't need to take that literally, either. The Psalmist did not necessarily know precisely how long one of Hashem's days is; he's simply saying that G-d's sense of time is far longer than a human being's. One of His days could be 6000 years or 6 million years or 600 million years.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Correct. Also, the whole idea of a 24 hour day is dependent on the solar system. Prior to the creation of the solar system as we know it, laws of nature as we know them did not necessarily exist.

In general, the story of creation is hard to understand in human terms. It isn't kfira to say that the psukim were written in a way that was most relatable, and to teach us lessons about the way Hashem runs the world. We don't need to take it 100% literally. There are many details that aren't written in the psukim.

Torah is not a history book, it's a religious text. We are meant to learn from it how to relate to Hashem and how to be good people.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics