Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! DD regularly makes #2 accidents
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
will do! thanks all.

can anyone recommend a good pediatric GI? I live in Monsey but can travel

We used Dr Audrey Birnbaum of Mt Kisco Medical group in westchester but it was years ago.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:13 am
I had this with my dd when she was around 3. I'm don't remember how it started but she became really scared to go #2, would hold it in... For some reason, the fear was abt it dropping into the toilet and she would also poop in her panties as soon as she was out of the bathroom.
Our doctor also recommended Miralax and suppositories too, and for us it did the job. I pushed in the suppository while she screamed, sat with her speaking soothingly while she was in the bathroom screaming, and it was impossible for her to hold it in. So she just did it and we congratulated her, showed her what was in the bowl, rewarded her... made a really big deal. We did this 2 maybe 3 times and that helped her overcome the fear. After that, it was a complete non-issue.
It was a little intense when I did the suppository and she was petrified of pooping but couldn't hold it in, but in the big scheme of things, it worked and she was much more relaxed afterewards. She hadn't been happy with the accidents and fear of pooping either, so it felt like the lesser of the two evils, since it got the job done.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 4:52 pm
I thought the discussion is over, I'll go to a GI and he will guide me from there. But now after DD had another accident I'm realizing that I didn't specify this- she is totally aware that she needs to go but chooses not to. like very rarely will she make in public. she usually goes to her bedroom or bathroom- stands there next to the toilet bowl and makes in her panty. Can it still be encopresis? and if it doesnt sound like it, any other ideas what the issue can be??

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 5:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
I thought the discussion is over, I'll go to a GI and he will guide me from there. But now after DD had another accident I'm realizing that I didn't specify this- she is totally aware that she needs to go but chooses not to. like very rarely will she make in public. she usually goes to her bedroom or bathroom- stands there next to the toilet bowl and makes in her panty. Can it still be encopresis? and if it doesnt sound like it, any other ideas what the issue can be??

Encoprecis

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:21 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes for sure sounds like encopresis
Find a ped GI who specializes in it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 8:14 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Yes for sure sounds like encopresis
Find a ped GI who specializes in it.

thanks all- I appreciate everyone's input!
(shoutout to Antiquewhite- sounds like you have tons of experience)
I explained to DD about encopresis and DH asked her if she wants to take a med to make all bad poop come out. I was sure she will have a fit cuz she's so scared but she actually said yes! because it makes her a booboo and she doesnt like it.. etc.. I'm so thankful to Hashem and to all of you for trying to help.

I hope the GI will be next to help. Tongue Out

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 10:23 am
amother OP wrote:
I explained to DD about encopresis and DH asked her if she wants to take a med to make all bad poop come out. I was sure she will have a fit cuz she's so scared but she actually said yes! because it makes her a booboo and she doesnt like it.. etc.. I'm so thankful to Hashem and to all of you for trying to help.

Unfortunately, I do have a lot of experience. It was very very lonely in the beginning. B”H we have been through it for so long that I know enough now that I can help others

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 10:24 am
amother OP wrote:

Yes, it’s a lot more than just “a med” it’s quite a bit of medicine…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 10:35 am
Yes, it’s a lot more than just “a med” it’s quite a bit of medicine…

I know. but I was not gonna tell that to 3 yr old who is already anxious abt the whole subject

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 10:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I know. but I was not gonna tell that to 3 yr old who is already anxious abt the whole subject

Right ok…

My dc also is very hard to get to take meds. Once you see a doc I will be happy for you to pm me (I’ll give you my email then) and I can give you tips how to get kids to take it or which meds to ask doc about. We have tried everything

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:34 pm
Right ok…

My dc also is very hard to get to take meds. Once you see a doc I will be happy for you to pm me (I’ll give you my email then) and I can give you tips how to get kids to take it or which meds to ask doc about. We have tried everything

thanks for your offer! I'll reach out when I already have appt by GI. you are amazing!!

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:38 pm
Hi op. I'm following this thread, hope that's OK by you.

Our situation, (ds, not dd) is very similar. I'm from monsey too.

Would appreciate if you can update. I don't know how to figure out which Dr is right for us.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:57 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
Hi op. I'm following this thread, hope that's OK by you.

Our situation, (ds, not dd) is very similar. I'm from monsey too.

Would appreciate if you can update. I don't know how to figure out which Dr is right for us.

my pediatrician is Dov Landa from Pomona. I feel that he is very knowledgeable and he does lots of research more than is required. I have appt on thurs to discuss it with him, and will ask him for recs which GI to use. I'll post when I have more info. iyh

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:52 pm
UPDATE:
My pediatrician said Dr. Phillip Kazlow from Columbia is a great GI. However, the wait time for an appt is very long. pediatrician told me to take an abdomen x-ray so that he can see how bad the buildup is, and based on that he will tell me how much mirilax to give. this is only to keep things from getting even worse till I get to the GI.
Azalea, I guess you should consult you childs Dr about what to do till you get to the GI.
Refuah Sheleima

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:00 pm
Miralax doesn’t really help a serious build up. You need a laxative first.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:27 pm
Just out of curiosity, what would she do if she wasn't wearing underwear to make in? Meaning, is she just avoiding making it in the toilet, but would be fine making it on the floor, or she specifically wants to make it into underwear?

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:34 pm
Wanted to add to the conversation.. I have a 9 year old with the EXACT same issue down to the last detail. She will go to the bathroom every time she feels the need but will not sit on toilet instead she will make in her undies.
It is such a frustrating journey. I'll say that I changed more than anything else. I have tried literally everything I can think of as well.

I was recommended Dr Berezin in Suffern for a GI. I will IYH be going for a second opinion as well. He recommended a cleanout with mirilax and exlax as well.

We have done have play therapy, craniosacral etc. From the research I have, my daughter suffers from encopresis but the underlying issue of why she doesn't go is something else. So even if the encopresis is treated with a cleanout it is not a guarantee that anything will change.

I wish you best of luck!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:38 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
Wanted to add to the conversation.. I have a 9 year old with the EXACT same issue down to the last detail. She will go to the bathroom every time she feels the need but will not sit on toilet instead she will make in her undies.
It is such a frustrating journey. I'll say that I changed more than anything else. I have tried literally everything I can think of as well.

I was recommended Dr Berezin in Suffern for a GI. I will IYH be going for a second opinion as well. He recommended a cleanout with mirilax and exlax as well.

We have done have play therapy, craniosacral etc. From the research I have, my daughter suffers from encopresis but the underlying issue of why she doesn't go is something else. So even if the encopresis is treated with a cleanout it is not a guarantee that anything will change.

I wish you best of luck!

Ya you gotta tackle the encopresis piece but there are other things as well that often are intertwined . From what I hear as they mature (12/13) it begins to straighten out. I hope and pray. My dc is 6 and we’ve been dealing with this for 3 years already

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:41 pm
Ya you gotta tackle the encopresis piece but there are other things as well that often are intertwined . From what I hear as they mature (12/13) it begins to straighten out. I hope and pray. My dc is 6 and we’ve been dealing with this for 3 years already

I was almost going to do pelvic floor therapy but was told its a waste of time due to the behavioral aspect.
My daughter is 9 so do the math of how long I have been dealing with this Crying

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:52 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
I was almost going to do pelvic floor therapy but was told its a waste of time due to the behavioral aspect.
My daughter is 9 so do the math of how long I have been dealing with this Crying

Honestly I’m not sure it helped. But our doc does it and the insurance covers so we’ve done it. Seems likes the pushing muscles are stronger (dc can push out now which dc could not do before) so maybe it worked a bit.

We have been to the therapist as well that works with the GI. I just don’t have time for all these appointments so I pick and choose.

But it’s so time consuming and so so hard to deal with as a parent
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics