Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Airline money traps
Previous  1  2

wtvr

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 4:45 pm
It's cheaper to check luggage than to take a carry on on Spirit.
Also, their luggage limit is 40lbs. vs 50 lbs. for other airlines.

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 4:53 pm
amother Blush wrote:
I find airlines to be pretty transparent at booking as to what is or is not included. If you read everything at booking you should be ok.

This is my experience as well and one of the reasons I’ve never flown spirit. Once I add in the costs of choosing seats, luggage and buying drinks in the airport it’s not worth the cost savings. I think people get excited by the initial price (with almost all airlines it’s just but more extreme with the budget ones) and don’t take a minute to see what’s not included in that price.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:38 pm
my #1 rule is never fly Frontier or Spirit!

Quote:
3. UNITED AIRLINES basic economy will not allow you to add a carry-on (for any price).. If you arrive at the airport expecting to pay for the carry-on, they will make you check it in if you have a basic economy ticket.

This is also on Jetblue. If you try coming to the gate with a carry on, they will make you pay $65! to check it in.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:32 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
my #1 rule is never fly Frontier or Spirit!

Quote:
3. UNITED AIRLINES basic economy will not allow you to add a carry-on (for any price).. If you arrive at the airport expecting to pay for the carry-on, they will make you check it in if you have a basic economy ticket.

This is also on Jetblue. If you try coming to the gate with a carry on, they will make you pay $65! to check it in.

Jet blue I take the second tier to be able to choose seats and bring carry on for free.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:36 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
Maybe it depends on the actual airport. Also was this before security or after? Usually you can print them yourself by the kiosk when you get to the airport.

When we flew frontier in December, their kiosks weren’t working, and there was a whole long line of upset customers who did not want to pay just because their system was down. You need to print it before you go through security because you need to show it to them.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:47 pm
wtvr wrote:
It's cheaper to check luggage than to take a carry on on Spirit.
Also, their luggage limit is 40lbs. vs 50 lbs. for other airlines.

Yup. I just take briefcases and one checked luggage. I recently flew spirit. Bought tickets with points. Paid for one checked suitcase each way. We're six ppl.
Bought a drink in the airport. I found them to be much more lenient than united with personal bags. United has given me issues carrying a shopping bag and backpack with a basic economy ticket. Spirit didn't look at all as long as it wasn't a full on carry on.

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 7:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
How recent? My daughter and sil flew last week . They were charged $25 per ticket. I wonder if it's a new rule.

Two weeks ago

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:32 pm
I flew frontier end of January and I don’t think we needed to print anything- we showed them the QR code on our phone.

Also frontier/spirit is good for non Jewish families but for Jewish families who need tznius clothes and Shabbos clothes and kosher food it’s impossible to travel ultra light

Sometimes American comes out cheaper between all the add ons you’ll need to do for the other airlines

Also if you live in NJ and fly from Philly many flights are slightly cheaper (maybe bec less distance flying?) than from Newark

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:35 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
Yup. I just take briefcases and one checked luggage. I recently flew spirit. Bought tickets with points. Paid for one checked suitcase each way. We're six ppl.
Bought a drink in the airport. I found them to be much more lenient than united with personal bags. United has given me issues carrying a shopping bag and backpack with a basic economy ticket. Spirit didn't look at all as long as it wasn't a full on carry on.

Whoa! One bag for 6 people! How many days were you away for?
We went away for Thursday - Monday, 5 people, and took one bag, and stuffffeeeed our personal items to the point that they wouldn’t have fit into the baggage size checker but bH tyH they didn’t check

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:36 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
I flew frontier end of January and I don’t think we needed to print anything- we showed them the QR code on our phone.

Also frontier/spirit is good for non Jewish families but for Jewish families who need tznius clothes and Shabbos clothes and kosher food it’s impossible to travel ultra light

Sometimes American comes out cheaper between all the add ons you’ll need to do for the other airlines

Also if you live in NJ and fly from Philly many flights are slightly cheaper (maybe bec less distance flying?) than from Newark

It really depends on the flight and date of travel. I recently went to Florida. LaGuardia was the cheapest for those days. Newark was a lot more and Philadelphia was more expensive than LaGuardia but cheaper than Newark. My sibling ended up going from Philadelphia- two hours from us and between everything it was cheaper at all. I booked later and did LaGuardia. My parents came back on my flight because it was $50 cheaper than. The Philadelphia one when he booked.

You really need to check every time you fly. It really depends. ...

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 9:02 am
We fly United and as long as we aren't traveling for a simcha or a week-long holiday, we can fit each person's items into a backpack (personal item) and we use basic economy, no suitcases or carry ons. Its doable.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 11:23 am
Can this thread be pinned?

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 11:33 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
We fly United and as long as we aren't traveling for a simcha or a week-long holiday, we can fit each person's items into a backpack (personal item) and we use basic economy, no suitcases or carry ons. Its doable.

Can you share what you're taking? And are you flying with younger kids, mine have a hard enough time walking through the airport carrying just a bag with snacks and things to do on the plane if I added in their clothing etc I can't see how they would manage.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics