Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Your minhag?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 5:56 pm
amother Apple wrote:
I don’t use sugar or potato starch.

I spill small amounts at a time and look thru it in a designated container that’s for salt only and matza can’t touch.

I make two containers one to spoon out into dishes and one to spoon into a matza bag without touching the matza.

Wondering why the two bags? If nothing is touching the salt in either besides the spoon...

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 6:13 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
Wondering why the two bags? If nothing is touching the salt in either besides the spoon...

One is for food other is for matza. Incase someone by mistake touches the matza with the spoon and puts it back into the salt. We’re very careful of matza not touching anything besides salt.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:05 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
You can easily track in with your shoes.

But again, anything you are tracking in with your shoes is less, not chametz. It makes sense that it’s mesorah and therefore it doesn’t change.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:09 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
True I clean and clean but I can never know what's on my floors with everything that walks on it.
It's an extra chumra that some of us have. No need to think so deeply into it.

I'm litvish and we dont eat anything that fell on the floor either..
and we buy all products...
if you walked on the street there could be chometz tracked in on everyone's shoes...

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:16 pm
First I love pesach food! Its simple and fresh and I never feel hungry.
Im chabad and married into a specific strict family- hi cousins!
Homemade wine and grape juice
We actually buy matzah but a lot of cousins bake their own
Buy whole chickens before purim
Check kosher salt
I make oil from the shmaltz- my husband loves the gribbenes
No fish- maybe a whole fish from before purim is allowed
No plastic dishes, tablecloth etc
No kitneyos
No gebrokts which means the only thing that touches the matza is salt (besides for the seder)
No cucumber/ tomatoes
We only eat fruit and vegetables that can be peeled
If something drops we wait till the next year, something about 12 months then its battul.

Basically live on eggs, onion, potatoes, matzah, apples, avocados, banana, oranges, chicken, and carrots . A few more things we could eat like pears but I dont care for it.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:24 am
Yekkish

We also don't eat anything that fell on the floor (can have chametz from people's shoes, even the tiniest crumb of chametz we can't eat) and if a dish falls on the floor it needs to be washed.

No chicken or turkey

We buy very few processed foods

So interesting to see so many minhagim. I think it's beautiful how Jews hold onto their mesorah, even if we don't always understand the nuances.

ganmama

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:26 am
We eat only Shmura matza, and no kitniyos but otherwise we eat basically everything.

We’re yeshivish.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:58 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Yekkish

We also don't eat anything that fell on the floor (can have chametz from people's shoes, even the tiniest crumb of chametz we can't eat) and if a dish falls on the floor it needs to be washed.

No chicken or turkey

We buy very few processed foods

So interesting to see so many minhagim. I think it's beautiful how Jews hold onto their mesorah, even if we don't always understand the nuances.

Fascinating. We are yekkish too. But our only minhag is to eat matzah products that have the breuer's hashgacha.
And of course, no kitniyos.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:09 am
Chabad

No processed food besides for matza, wine, salt, sugar, oil.

Only use sugar water that is boiled before pesach.

Only use fruits and vegetables that peel and we have a special peeling knife that does not get used to chop.

Regarding things that fell on the floor during pesach, I believe it has something to do with before pesach chometz is botul b'shishim and during pesach it is not. So on pesach we are extra careful about such things but after pesach it takes on the status of botul b'shishim. My grandparents cook everything before pesach for this reason as well.

salt

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:10 am
amother Begonia wrote:

If something drops we wait till the next year, something about 12 months then its battul.

I've never heard this before, until this year on imamother. Can you explain what you mean?
What do you do after a year?
And what are you talking about - utensils or food?
I assume food won't last a year. So you're talking about a spoon for example - what is allowed after a year? Do you mean you can wash it and use it next pesach, but not continue using it the current pesach?

Reality

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:30 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Chabad

No processed food besides for matza, wine, salt, sugar, oil.

Only use sugar water that is boiled before pesach.

Only use fruits and vegetables that peel and we have a special peeling knife that does not get used to chop.

Regarding things that fell on the floor during pesach, I believe it has something to do with before pesach chometz is botul b'shishim and during pesach it is not. So on pesach we are extra careful about such things but after pesach it takes on the status of botul b'shishim. My grandparents cook everything before pesach for this reason as well.

I'm pretty sure chametz is never batel b'shishim.

I also grew up with if utensils fall on the floor it was set aside until the next year in a litvish home. It really stressed my Mom out because we were a house of many little kids constantly dropping things. My father looked into it and we dropped that minhag.

We eat gebrochts, only eat shmurah, hand at the seder, machine is fine for all other times.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned not mishing on Pesach!

Reality

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:33 am
salt wrote:
I've never heard this before, until this year on imamother. Can you explain what you mean?
What do you do after a year?
And what are you talking about - utensils or food?
I assume food won't last a year. So you're talking about a spoon for example - what is allowed after a year? Do you mean you can wash it and use it next pesach, but not continue using it the current pesach?

Yes, if a spoon falls on the floor on pesach, it is set aside and not used until the following pesach. It is definitely not washed in the kfp kitchen sink. Only washed in the bathroom sink and not used until the following year.

As per my post above, we had quite a collection over pesach and it was impossible to continue for my family.

salt

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:39 am
Reality wrote:

It is batel beshishim before pesach.

Reality

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:44 am
salt wrote:
It is batel beshishim before pesach.

Let's say I'm cooking a very large pot of chicken soup for Pesach two days before Pesach. My child throws a small piece of bread into the pot. That soup can be eaten on Pesach?

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:52 am
Reality wrote:
Let's say I'm cooking a very large pot of chicken soup for Pesach two days before Pesach. My child throws a small piece of bread into the pot. That soup can be eaten on Pesach?

I think botul b'shishim is the wrong word. My understanding is that tiny crumbs would be botul before pesach but not during. An actual piece of bread would be chometz and not botul.

salt

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:56 am
Reality wrote:

I would think the answer might be yes if it were not a visible piece that you can take out, but it does sound weird you're right.
There definitely is a difference between on Pesach and before Pesach, but I don't know what it is.

I know that there are people that kasher their regular oven and cook pesach food in it before pesach, but on pesach they would not use it.
I think I remember being told that the logic is that chametz is batel if it is mixed in before pesach.
But I really don't know if I'm right, and I see that the answer is complicated eg. https://www.yeshiva.org.il/midrash/241

So I'm backing down and saying ask someone else Smile

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:29 am
Growing up we had pretty strict minhagim, and I remember hating Pesach because there was nothing to eat.
Live in Israel now and we eat everything that has a Badatz kosher for Passover. I have so much yummy food on Pesach and we eat the leftovers after Pesach too because it’s delicious.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:31 am
Reality wrote:

I also grew up with if utensils fall on the floor it was set aside until the next year in a litvish home. It really stressed my Mom out because we were a house of many little kids constantly dropping things. My father looked into it and we dropped that minhag.

We eat gebrochts, only eat shmurah, hand at the seder, machine is fine for all other times.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned not mishing on Pesach!

A lot of us mentioned not mishing though we didn't spell it out.
We don't eat anything store bought or anything cooked in anyone else's home.
Lubavitch for reference.

Reality

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:42 am
amother Hosta wrote:
A lot of us mentioned not mishing though we didn't spell it out.
We don't eat anything store bought or anything cooked in anyone else's home.
Lubavitch for reference.

Right, but I didn't grow up with these very strict chumrahs and we ate pesach products with a good hechsher, yet we still didn't "mish", as in eat food cooked privately by a non-relative.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:54 am
amother Begonia wrote:
First I love pesach food! Its simple and fresh and I never feel hungry.
Im chabad and married into a specific strict family- hi cousins!
Homemade wine and grape juice
We actually buy matzah but a lot of cousins bake their own
Buy whole chickens before purim
Check kosher salt
I make oil from the shmaltz- my husband loves the gribbenes
No fish- maybe a whole fish from before purim is allowed
No plastic dishes, tablecloth etc
No kitneyos
No gebrokts which means the only thing that touches the matza is salt (besides for the seder)
No cucumber/ tomatoes
We only eat fruit and vegetables that can be peeled

Basically live on eggs, onion, potatoes, matzah, apples, avocados, banana, oranges, chicken, and carrots . A few more things we could eat like pears but I dont care for it.

Hi cousin I think you’re my cousin everything sounds so familiar.

Did your grandparents have a matza bakery is their basement?
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics