Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Turkey Day?

Did you have Turkey for dinner tonight?
Yes  
 39%  [ 9 ]
No  
 60%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 23

IndyMom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 7:54 pm
Just wondering who here celebrates Thanksgiving.

stem

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 7:58 pm
We're having turkey for friday night...

Tovah

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 9:17 pm
just curious, anyone in montreal celebrate? only cause I never even new what thanksgiving was till later on in my yrs embarrassed

chevymum

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 10:20 pm
We do not celebrate Thanksgiving - but we go to My DH's family and I cook a Turkey :-)

It was good too,....

tzivi

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 10:44 pm
I never knew that it was something that yidden celebrated.... excuse my ignorance Scratching Head

sarahd

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 4:47 am
Well, living in Australia you could hardly be expected to know. You're excused, Tzivi. Smile

Pearl

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 5:02 am
Quote:
tzivi wrote:
I never knew that it was something that yidden celebrated.... excuse my ignorance Scratching Head

I didn't know that either!

I guess one needs to be an insider..... Wink

chanala

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 12:01 pm
Yes, we did have turkey yesterday. My MIL declined our invitation for the second yeear in a row, presumably because the turkey was kosher. She lives two miles away and probably spent the day with a non-Jewish friend instead of her grandchildren. Sad!!!

It's an American holiday, true, but fairly innocuous IMO. No excessive materialistic gift-giving, idol worship...

Emuna

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 12:48 pm
Absolutely we had a great Thanksgiving - what could POSSIBLY be wrong with celebrating the beginnings of our amazing country??? Why should Jews somehow not acknowledge this? We say baruch HaShem every second that our families were able to get here when they did and have Jewish great-grandchildren even more religious than they were. Being a religious Jew does not take away my pride in being an American. Our country does so much good for the world, even at the expense of our "reputation" at the UN and and other appeasers of Islam (Canada, France, Germany Spain, etc. ) No way would I hide away in a hole somewhere thinking that as a Jew I have no interest in America. And I certainly hope that all of the recent immigrants to this country feel the way that I do. With all due respect, it seems that many recent immigrants have nothing but complaints about their host country. "America has such HORRIBLE values compared with MY country." To me, this is the epitome of spoiled brattiness. Yes, be thankful and contribute something to the country that gave you chance.

chen

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 1:04 pm
Emunah--Standing Ovation!

Mod2

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 3:43 pm
Since we have 1 thread on this already, we have been asked to lock this one. And please post in teh older one . Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics