Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Q for those who spent lots of time in NICU

Capitalchick

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 7:51 pm
I'm posting this question here because I figure that many of you must've spent time with your babies in the NICU....

What kinds of little gifts would be good to send the parents of babies expected to be in the NICU for many many months.

I was thinking of bringing a care package to my friend whose babies are very small/ill. What kinds of things would you have appreciated receiving or would you have needed/wanted?

I was thinking books/magazines....but I have no idea...

Thoughts?

losingweight

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 8:13 pm
I was in the nice for weeks more than once. Meals like hot lunches and dinners will be very appreciated. Also, if you can offer rides, instead of them paying for car service or searching for parking around a hospital, that's more worth than gifts. Also if you can help with childcare arrangements if necessary. While there, the parents are very busy holding the baby, feeding, pumping and there is no time for much else. If all other needs are taken care of they will manage this time stress free and be ready to bring the baby home to a calm atmosphere.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 8:47 pm
In addition to the above ideas, speaking from a mother's perspective, something nice for her, like a nice shower gel or moisturizer...something to nurture herself...bc at that time I remember thinking almost all the time about my baby and (quite frankly) not enough about myself.

(I didn't have multiples, but I did have a baby in the NICU.)

pina colada

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 8:52 pm
My oldest was in the nicu so food wasn't much of an issue, but if I would've had other children at home, the most appreciated thing would have been lunches or dinners. Also offers to watch the children would be nice. Chocolate or cookies to say you're thinking of her with a nice magazine are nice too.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 9:40 pm
a platter of something to munch on while she's there, little chocolates etc.

yaeli83

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 9:59 pm
I second the food thing, its really hard to take care of yourself and your sick kids.... having someone make meals always helped.

Also, I always saw some of the babies with little dolls, their own pacifiers and their own hats in the nicu. I always thought it was cute that they had their own stuff rather than what the hospital had... find out what they are allowed to have. maybe a nice little blankie, mobile, something to make their little incubator or bassinet more "homey" or something...

we taped a picture of my husband and myself to our babies incubator for when we were not there- maybe make a suggestion to your friend.

also, I think its the march of dimes, that has a book on what to expect with a child in the nicu. It might be a nice idea to get it for them.

bnm

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 10:55 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
a platter of something to munch on while she's there, little chocolates etc.

when my daughter was in the NICU they didn't allow food in.

A nursing coverup if/for when she can nurse them. the nurses used to make a whole big stink about setting up privacy thingies and they didn't even cover much up.

things for the crib expect that they might get lost in the hospital system. my daughter 'only' lost a pacifier but my neighbor's outfit ended up in hospital laundry and was never found so there went a matching outfit for her twins. when the kids get a bit older/more alert some of them have mobiles on their crib, maybe get one of those, not easy to lose.

dmum

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 8:54 am
I second (third?) the meals and lifts. I didn't have to cook for about 3 months, which was a huge help.
As an actual gift - maybe books to read, or maybe a 6 month magazine subscription. books can be too involved when your head is not into it.
Another nice gift I got was a nice journal and pen, to offload into.
But creams/lotions etc? I can't remember having had time to even think about that kind of thing.

lawlady

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:13 pm
I have to highlight that particularly prepping a shabbos meal would be appreciated. The end of the week comes so quickly and eating takeout AGAIN is very unhealthy and not nourishing.

mom2bsn

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:34 pm
my daughter was admitted to the hospital at 4 weeks. And was in the PICU for 6 weeks. I didnt have time to "munch" on chocolates or read a book or write in a journal. The thing I most appreciated was a mobile that someone bought for her crib.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more