Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Shave or wax for 12yo dd?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 9:49 am
My dd decided that she wants to shave the lower half of her leg. I'm fine with it especially since I think she needs to. My only issue is, I shave and shave and shave. I was thinking that maybe I should bring her for a waxing instead. Is it crazy for a 12yo to go for a waxing?

Peanut2

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:03 am
Yes.

If she's going to shave, let her shave. Waxing is very painful and should be her independent decision at a later stage.

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:11 am
I think you should introduce something like nair that makes the hair come off without the pain from wax or cuts from a razor. She can change when she gets older

morah

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:34 am
I first got waxed at 12, so no, it's not crazy. But it should be because she wants to do it, not you. If she's not ready now, let her wait. She may never be ready- it is kinda scary and there are other ways to remove hair, so don't push it.

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:39 am
I was 12 when I started waxing - and its the best thing my mom did to me!! well u can have her try one session and tell her the pros and let her decide.

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:51 am
Although waxing hurts I believe it is the best option for her. Definitely do not let her shave, I did and it is torture!!!! If she doesnt handle pain too well then nair may be a good option but maybe she'll be able to handle waxing.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 11:34 am
She's a kid... tell her she is perfect as she is.

sequoia

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 11:37 am
Ruchel wrote:

That.

Whatever happened to childhood?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 11:39 am
my daughter started shaving her armpits last week at her own request, because she is on a swim team three times a week. I bought her one of those razors with the built in pad of shaving cream. safer and easier than keeping shaving cream around

sgr

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 11:39 am
My girls go for waxes they are 13 and 16 started when they were 12 best thing u can do for her after a few years her hair will start to grow in less and less!

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 11:41 am
Ruchel wrote:

She approached me about it, not vice versa. She is perfect the way she is, but I didn't shave until later and regretted it. My mother never shaves because she doesn't need to, but I did need to.

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 11:43 am
chanamiriam wrote:
my daughter started shaving her armpits last week at her own request, because she is on a swim team three times a week. I bought her one of those razors with the built in pad of shaving cream. safer and easier than keeping shaving cream around

She didn't mention that yet, but if she does I doubt I would ask her about waxing because it's a lot more painful there, I've heard.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:09 pm
I wish I had started waxing at 12. My friend (who was really hairy with dark, thick hair) started waxing around then. Best thing to do IMO.

But give her the option.

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:13 pm
My DD is 14. I think she is probably one of the only ones one her grade that dont shave her legs or armpits. Its wierd that it doesnt bother her- but I see it definitely on her legs.

Should I push her to do it- and if so how?

She is so uncoordinated and I can see shaving to be a bloody disaster.

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:15 pm
sequoia wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

That.

Childhood is miserable if other kids are making fun of your hairy legs.

(If the kid at age 12 is asking then I'm guessing that she's not necessarily covered up in tights all the time).

Anyhow, OP, I agree that you should offer it as a choice. It hurts, but really not that much. Not if you go to someone good. Just don't do what my mom did and try to wax it by yourself at home. Now that was painful!

shoshina

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:40 pm
It will hurt! But I think it is better for girls to wax than to shave, also, starting at 12 means she will have thinner, finer hair.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:44 pm
sequoia wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

That.

It's changed/tranformed/even disappeared.
Hair removal has become the status quo for younger and younger ages. Not just legs, but eyebrow waxing too. Kids are EXTREMELY cruel. If once kids teased each other for being too fat or too short or having freckles, today one more thing has been added to the list: being too hairy. Many of my 12 year old dd's friends get their legs and eyebrows waxed, some of the more hairy ones do moustache and arms too.

I think as parents there's only so much you can fight this peer pressure. At some point, it's just easier to have your preteen start shaving/waxing like all her friends, rather than deal with all her peers' cruelty. There's only so many times you can tell your dd 'you're beautiful, ignore everyone else'.....at some point what her classmates say will impact her self-confidence terribly.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:45 pm
wht about lazer treatment?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:48 pm
If she wants to remove the hair, then let her.
If she's okay with waxing, go with that. If she'd like to shave, get her the round Schick shavers that are nick proof. (Do they still make them?)

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:53 pm
Totally normal nowadays here for 7th graders to remove hair/shape eyebrows.It's not to look especially attractive - just to look tidy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children