Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Putting limits

dym

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 9:21 pm
Bs'd

Hi imamothers,

How do I teach my daughter not to be spoiled and cry and throw things when she wants something and I don't give her?! How to help her have better middos?

Dym

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 9:29 pm
How old is she?

It sounds like she learned that throwing a fit would get her what she wants. Is there any inconsistency in your parenting? Is there someone else in her life - father, grandparents, who will give in just not to hear the tantrum?

It's not about middos, imo, it's about li it setting.

dym

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 9:40 pm
Bs'd

She's 3 years old... and I give her a lot of love! She doesn't talk so much, so I think is hard for her to express herself, so then she cries...
I keep telling her that I cannot understand if she cries, and I teach her how to say what she wants... and she repets it.... but yesterday I went to a restaurant and she behaved really bad... usually I handle it at home... but when we are out, she can behave really bad...

thanks for your reply...

Dym

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 9:43 pm
My son used to throw a huge tantrum every time I said no. I would tell him when he calms down and is ready to talk he can come to me and walked out of the room.

Rodent

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 11:38 pm
We are having very similar issues with our 3 year old at the moment. I don't believe that it is because of inconsistencies or because he has had everything he has wanted because he hasn't! He doesn't have communication issues, he's quite competent in his speech. He is the same at daycare too. They wondered there if it was an attention issue as our eldest gets more time (speech delay and going to school next year so they're working hard with him) and our 3rd gets more time too as he's just starting to talk more and they're trying to bring him out more. At home I was concerned about this for him and my 3rd but have started taking them both out for one-on-one special time recently so not so sure. He is very advanced academically and I do think he could be a bit bored (mentioned at daycare that they're going to try and give him some addition worksheets, he's on the verge of reading also, really really close, I haven't done any letters or sounds with him as I don't want to push him ahead academically and have him bored later but he's picked it up himself and if it makes him happier I may need to just work with him).

My first was frustrating at 3 1/2 but not as extreme but he's a more laid back kid generally. Our current Mr3 is melodramatic and strong-willed at the best of times, has been since he was born, so I think personality has a lot to do with it too.

Sorry, not a lot of help there but a bucket-load of empathy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics