Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why is there so much s*x in movies?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 10:18 am
I can understand that the occasional kiss is sometimes necessary but there are so many s-x scenes which just seem so unnecessary, cringe worthy and demeaning to the actresses in it. I really don't see the point, it is not interesting to watch others having s-x? I understand that audiences want to see people's private lives, but most of the time it just feels like the writer knows this so puts some scene that will give them what they want...great reason.
And even if the audience does want to see people's (characters) private lives, why do they not them sleeping, eating, etc as much then? There are many other things which are private - family, childhood, culture, and many more much more interesting things to show.
I feel like s-x is special and private and by putting so much of it in the films it just makes it into something trivial and it's not that I feel sorry for the actress because at the end of the day it is a choice but why make someone be naked with and kiss a random person

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 10:19 am
S-x sells, and some will go see a blah movie if it has s-x scenes... it shows the intellectual level of the average human, unfortunately.

Unfortunately it nixes many a good movie (as sometimes even good movies fall victim to this mentality).

Last edited by Ruchel on Sun, Nov 17 2013, 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Happy18

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 10:23 am
It sells

marshmellow

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 10:24 am
I totally agree with you. And it is because the society we live in is obsessed with s-x. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. Even very young girls feel compelled to dress in s-xy attire. It just sucks.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 11:19 am
Immediate reaction: to make it easier to stay away from the garbage ;-) But yes, it sells. We're out of The Age of Subtlety though fashion directors editors every so often claim it's making a comeback.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 11:25 am
marshmellow wrote:
I totally agree with you. And it is because the society we live in is obsessed with s-x. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. Even very young girls feel compelled to dress in s-xy attire. It just sucks.

People have always been obsessed with s-x. If it bothers you op stick to movies with a pg rating.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 11:27 am
Once upon a time people tried to behave in public. It showed in movies, too. Now it seems it's a free for all... very sad, and very telling.

I check on IMDB what's in the movie. A movie can be R rated and clean of s-x. And many supposedly family oriented comedies are filthy.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 11:30 am
Unfortunately, society at large has lost touch with what is special and private, and what is public. I also think that society at large has a mistaken notion of such things. They don't necessarily see this as a holy thing, so therefore it is free to be tarnished and made public and lewd.

It is very sad, because there are ways to tell an intelligent and beautiful story without this element.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 11:33 am
Once upon a time, the few s-x scenes in books could be edited out, you had the choice which version to buy. Nowadays I only see full versions (for those old books). But it shows one thing: these scenes aren't so necessary to the story. Same for a movie.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 11:37 am
seckiest movie, by far (in my opinion) is "out of africa." the only skin one sees is the back of redford's back when he's holding her in bed. that's it.

Onisa

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 11:44 am
Literature and films reflect lives and society needs the same as theater in older times.
S-x is sacral, leads to creation of a new life, very complicated act which is done easily but was and is carrying tons of taboos.
Hashem created this world based on conection. Different conections. People have desire to connect. But if they dont see the big vaerity of connections, s-x as the only physical and pretty satisphying thing they are left with. They want to do it, speak of it, read it, see it. They want to connect.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:15 pm
because secular society doesn't regard it as being private like us.

People want to see it in films. "Chick flicks" are movies girls like to watch and are usually romances with kisses, s-x and a happy ending.

Also, writers enjoy playing around with the idea of s-x. They don't think about what you consider to be private. It's what the writer/artist wants to do. People don't see a problem with it, because in today's society, it's NOT private.

For this reason the actors don't see a problem with it. It's part of the job, and they get on with it.

This girl who I am friends with on facebook who I went to school with just graduated from a very top drama school. She told me there is some pressure to feel comfortable with nudity. her year group produced a series of short films and all of them contained at least mild s-x scenes, kissing and rude language and this is not some low key dodgy school, this is a very prestigious drama school.

It's up to us to control what we watch. If I'm watching a film I usually turn it off if it becomes too s-xual. That's probably the main reason why I stop watching film. Either that or I'm bored. But to be honest I hardly ever watch films.
I don't know if many people here ever watched tv with their parents, but I did when I was younger (not with my dad thank G-d he is not interested), but that is the worst.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:22 pm
My parents changed the channel is something was "off" to them. BH.
And tv too has changed and for the worst

amother

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:43 pm
in my opinion because 1) it sells. It is not an integral part of any movie, it's tossed in to satisfy the viewers.

2) What we believe is just too different from what society believes. They are like two different worlds. To put it crudely most people believe that s-x is just a physical act and has nothing to do with intimacy and spirituality.

The difference is that in Judaism we believe that every physical aspect of life contains the greatest spiritual potential and that our job is to elevate the physical into something sacred, spiritual and beautiful. Intimacy is the most powerful force in the universe, it creates life even if it is not for the purpose of conceiving, it still creates life: spiritual angels are created. It is our responsibility to uphold that beauty and power and use it in the right way, place and setting. It must be channelled correctly. Because it is so powerful there are many rules and many ideals, not just practical but emotionally there must be love, warmth, spiritual connection, the list goes on. It has to be the most spiritual state a person can experience - even if it is not going to create life.

However this is not how others see it - to them it's just physical. It becomes one of the most destructive energies. It is ugly, sordid, and prevents the world from being the place G-d wants it to be.

My advice is just to stop watching the movies. Our way of life is not the same. We have values, we live lives where everything is sacred, everything has meaning. We take everything that exists in our lives and make them holy and beautiful. We are the light unto the nations. never forget that.

marina

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:53 pm
hahahaha- the reason there is s-ex in movies is the same reason why this thread has almost 400 views so far.

How many views would this thread have had if you asked: Why are there so many restaurant scenes in movies?

S-ex is interesting. And no, not only for non jews.

Last edited by marina on Sun, Nov 17 2013, 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:54 pm
The general attitude to s-x is one of the things that made me frummer.
Bear in mind I was in a clean school and setting... but the mere idea of boyfriends without a commitment to more, of kissing someone and then breaking up and then he may go "date" someone else... it was an abherration to me.

marina

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
in my opinion because 1) it sells. It is not an integral part of any movie, it's tossed in to satisfy the viewers.

2) What we believe is just too different from what society believes. They are like two different worlds. To put it crudely most people believe that s-x is just a physical act and has nothing to do with intimacy and spirituality.

The difference is that in Judaism we believe that every physical aspect of life contains the greatest spiritual potential and that our job is to elevate the physical into something sacred, spiritual and beautiful. Intimacy is the most powerful force in the universe, it creates life even if it is not for the purpose of conceiving, it still creates life: spiritual angels are created. It is our responsibility to uphold that beauty and power and use it in the right way, place and setting. It must be channelled correctly. Because it is so powerful there are many rules and many ideals, not just practical but emotionally there must be love, warmth, spiritual connection, the list goes on. It has to be the most spiritual state a person can experience - even if it is not going to create life.

However this is not how others see it - to them it's just physical. It becomes one of the most destructive energies. It is ugly, sordid, and prevents the world from being the place G-d wants it to be.

My advice is just to stop watching the movies. Our way of life is not the same. We have values, we live lives where everything is sacred, everything has meaning. We take everything that exists in our lives and make them holy and beautiful. We are the light unto the nations. never forget that.

Have you formed those beliefs because you did a survey of gentiles? Or secular Jews? Or because you have managed to watch an episode of Maury Povich while waiting for the bank teller?

The vast majority of people, regardless of race or religion, in my experience, value intimacy as a way of connecting between people. Yet- they still manage to like movies with some racy scenes.

It is not a physical, sordid, ugly act for most. I am sorry that you have such a sad view of society.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 1:11 pm
marina wrote:
amother wrote:

Have you formed those beliefs because you did a survey of gentiles? Or secular Jews? Or because you have managed to watch an episode of Maury Povich while waiting for the bank teller?

The vast majority of people, regardless of race or religion, in my experience, value intimacy as a way of connecting between people. Yet- they still manage to like movies with some racy scenes.

It is not a physical, sordid, ugly act for most. I am sorry that you have such a sad view of society.

I know this because I did not grow up religious and I know the opinions that people had and their view of relationships, which includes the view that I stated.

sunlight

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 1:13 pm
They put them in because that's what excites people. What would a movie be without that? It makes it interesting!

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 1:15 pm
this is a question for hollywood ... not imamothers ~ just sayin'
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics