Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is naming after angels OK?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:09 pm
I have always loved the name Gavriel and very much want to name my son that, but the rabbi of our kehillah says not to name after angels. My father in law is named after an angel so the family certainly doesn't have a problem with it. I didn't get an explanation from the rabbi, he just said that it's advisable not to so I am curious as to the reasoning behind it? I have friends in the kehillah that have named their sons after angels, but a 'really frum' woman said that frum people don't do so (again I wasn't able to get an explanation as to why.)

stem

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:13 pm
The names refael and michael are extremely common among the very frum... but I still wouldn't use a name that my rav specifically told me not to use.

faigie

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:24 pm
so many names are angel names, even Daniel is from the root of an ayim bet shem. the 'el" end names I think , all would be angel names.......I love um they all sound so melodic.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:29 pm
gavriel is a beautiful name ... I always thought of names of malachim as special ... guess I didn't have enough boys Wink go for it!!!

Nicole

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:48 pm
Dh AND his brother are named for angels HOWEVER I have heard of this "shittah". If you hold by your rav, it goes without saying that you follow his minhagim. If he says not to name after malachim, there are plenty of other beautiful names out there...

shalhevet

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 3:34 am
stem wrote:
The names refael and michael are extremely common among the very frum... but I still wouldn't use a name that my rav specifically told me not to use.

I heard that angels' names that were always used as people's names like Rephael and Michael are not problematic, but names that were not traditionally used (some have become popular recently) shouldn't be used.

I don't think Daniel is the name of a malach. He was a navi. Just because it ends with the same letters doesn't make it the name of a malach.

mimivan

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 4:10 am
I am also very interested to know the reason...

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 4:31 am
I don't know about naming after angels in general, but Gavriel is the angel of gevurah, might, the root of dinim, so maybe that has something to do with it?

There are many names that end in -el, most of them are not angels' names.

mimivan

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 4:57 am
Yes, but we still names girls Dinah...

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 5:11 am
True, but Dinah is a name that appears specifically in the Tanach as a girl's name, whereas Gavriel does not. I wouldn't like to argue with Ya'akov Avinu about his choice of name for his daughter Wink ...

gryp

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 9:19 am
There are some names of angels that we aren't even allowed to say.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 10:10 am
Cool thread !!!!!!!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 1:35 pm
I heard not to name names like raziel... but names like Gavriel? My husband is Gavriel. shock

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 2:41 pm
what's wrong with the name raziel? why shouldn't it be used?
(love that name, btw).

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 2:45 pm
amother wrote:
what's wrong with the name raziel? why shouldn't it be used?
(love that name, btw).

Because you arent supposed to name names that are very rare, and the name Raziel is very rare.
Then again, raziel is somewhere on our list of names. Shhh, don't tell... Twisted Evil

faigie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 2:47 pm
there are SO many names from malachim.. I think daniel is from the shoresh of one of the ayin bet names ... daled nun yud..... id have to go check the list. could be that the navi was named.. from the ayin bet angel name himself!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 2:56 pm
you aren't supposed to give names that are very rare? who made that rule?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
you aren't supposed to give names that are very rare? who made that rule?

Its in a book of baby names of mine. It doesnt say not to name uncommon names... Rather, if theres a name thats VERY rare, not to use it. Dunno why though.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 1:54 pm
I hardly think the name Raizel is rare

amother

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
I hardly think the name Raizel is rare

Not Raizel,
Raziel.
Rah Zee El.
The name of a malach. Meaning secret of god. Or G-d is my secret.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names