Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o Why are my eyeglasses always dirty?
1  2  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 3:51 pm
I can’t seem to get the lenses clean and clear. I use the cleaning spray bottle the eye glass store gave me and only wipe dry with a clean cloth. There always seems to be some residue that leaves a smudged coating or smudgy spots. I’ve tried washing with warm water and soap but they are never completely clean. I never had this problem before. Should I use windex on my glasses? Someone suggested that I use alcohol wipes but I’m afraid it will take the color off the frame.
What do you use for completely clean lenses?

littleprincess

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 6:04 pm
Are your lenses anti reflection ? I find they get much dirtier with anti reflection.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
I can’t seem to get the lenses clean and clear. I use the cleaning spray bottle the eye glass store gave me and only wipe dry with a clean cloth. There always seems to be some residue that leaves a smudged coating or smudgy spots. I’ve tried washing with warm water and soap but they are never completely clean. I never had this problem before. Should I use windex in my glasses? Someone suggested that I use alcohol wipes but I’m afraid it will take the color off the frame.
What do you use for completely clean lenses?

No windex. No alcohol. It will remove the finish.
If warm water and dawn dish soap are not working, wiped gently only with Bounty, that means the smudges are actually scratches.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 6:28 pm
Just wipe with the stores cloth.
No spray, water.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 6:34 pm
littleprincess wrote:
Are your lenses anti reflection ? I find they get much dirtier with anti reflection.

Yes, I paid extra for that!
I guess I won’t do that again. It’s the first time I paid extra for that.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 9:37 pm
For many years I have worn eyeglasses and never had a problem. A few months ago, when purchasing new eyeglasses, the salesgirl convinced me to get the anti glare lenses, because they are so much better for night driving, and also when someone takes your picture. What she did not tell me was that they are always dirty, smudgy and impossible to clean properly. When I picked up the new eyeglasses, after I paid for them and was about to leave the store, the salesgirl mentioned matter of factly, "Oh, and by the way, never use Kleenex on the lenses, only this cloth that I am giving you."
I am super unhappy. I don't think there is a solution to this problem, just grin and bear it until such time that you purchase a new pair of glasses...or am I wrong?
Following...

Ruchi

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 10:25 pm
I have the same problem with my new pair of anti glare glasses. My previous pair which also had anti glare was absolutely fine. It could well be that the lenses are cheaper and are of inferior quality. I know people who go elsewhere do not have the same problem as me and I am now not going back to the optician I have been using until now.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 11:20 pm
Ruchi wrote:
I have the same problem with my new pair of anti glare glasses. My previous pair which also had anti glare was absolutely fine. It could well be that the lenses are cheaper and are of inferior quality. I know people who go elsewhere do not have the same problem as me and I am now not going back to the optician I have been using until now.

I’m the op and I think we just figured out that the anti glare is the problem.
I don’t think it’s the problem with the store you went to because I bought 2 pairs this past year from 2 different stores and I have the smudge problem with both of them.

Ruchi

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 11:42 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t think it’s the problem with the store you went to because I bought 2 pairs this past year from 2 different stores and I have the smudge problem with both of them.

The anti glare do get smudgy much faster. That's correct. But, I did not have it to this extreme like I have now. It is CONSTANTLY dirty without me even touching it.
Whoever is using the same optician as me is complaining of the same thing.

My situation may after all, then not be identical to yours

giselle

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 11:45 pm
When I bought my anti glare glasss, I was told never to wipe with a dry cloth, always wet the glasses first. I don’t have what to compare it to because this is my first pair, but I also find that they get dirty often.

Chickpea

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:

The fact that you bought them from two different stores may be irrelevant because both stores may be using the same lab to make their eyeglasses. That particular lab may be doing poor quality work.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 11:51 pm
Hoping someone will figure out how to keep them clean looking...

razzle123

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 11:56 pm
Ruchi wrote:
The anti glare do get smudgy much faster. That's correct. But, I did not have it to this extreme like I have now. It is CONSTANTLY dirty without me even touching it.
Whoever is using the same optician as me is complaining of the same thing.

My situation may after all, then not be identical to yours

I have the same situation with my new pair of glasses. For the first 2 weeks I thought there was something wrong with me because my glasses were always so dirty. I have a method that helps. I wash my glasses with warm water and dish soap. I then wipe it with a soft cotton undershirt fabric. Throughout the day if it gets fingerprinted I use the undershirt material to wipe it. (Doesent happen so often now) As a last resort I use Kleenex tissues. When I use the glasses wipe the lenses becomes smudged much faster.

nylon

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 12:10 pm
I used to wear rimless and of course they got smudgy and I used the Bausch and Lomb alcohol wipes. They get off the oils from your fingers.

I went back to plastic rims and I need the wipes less, but they still work and are fine for the frames. Opticians recommend them. The spray is also alcohol.

I do not have a problem with my current AR coating but I have seen the smudges with other brands. I have high myopia so I need the coating.

NEVER use paper towels, they scratch the lenses. Use the cloth or the wipes only.

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 3:55 pm
fyi its probably not the optician. its the lenses - same ones are used by many opticians. its a common issue with AR coating regardless of the manufacturer... it has a limited lifespan.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 5:12 pm
There's one optical place that uses superior glare free lenses to create the prescription. The lenses cost more than at the other places, but well worthwhile. I think at one point I knew what they're called, the brand, but I don't anymore.

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 5:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
There's one optical place that uses superior glare free lenses to create the prescription. The lenses cost more than at the other places, but well worthwhile. I think at one point I knew what they're called, the brand, but I don't anymore.

Crizal?

nylon

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 6:23 pm
I posted this in the other thread, but I was told by opticians that Crizal is by far the best for the AR coating and the cheaper brands tend to scratch.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 8:08 pm
Coffee filters
Costs $1 for a lot of them in a pack
No threads on lenses
Same idea as cleaning glass or mirror with newspapers, no threads

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 6:39 am
Reason why I often wear contacts outside... it gets dirty so easily, everything will touch the glasses, but also vapor etc
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics