Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Is this rude?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 11:59 am
A sleeping guest turned up the heat almost 20 degrees.

A friend said you gotta let guests have their way.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:00 pm
Yes. Very.

They turned it up to 90??

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:00 pm
Yes, he should have asked you for more blankets.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:

That’s ridiculous, unreasonable and very chutzpahdig in my opinions. Did the guest ask you first??? I’d say, tell her if she’s cold you can give her a heater for her room, but that the entire house will be too warm if it’s kept up that high! (Never mind the added heating costs!)

Last edited by Cheiny on Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:03 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Yes. Very.

They turned it up to 90??

Yes - 89°

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:03 pm
Yeah pretty rude. I remember staying at my husbands grandmother though and she had her air conditioning set to 80 degrees. We were dying. At some point in the night we pushed it down to 76 but I knew it was rude, I just couldn't handle it anymore.

A couple degrees maybe but 20? How cold do you keep your house?

I would warn guests that you keep your house at xyz and provide lots of blankets and sweaters.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Yes - 89°

69 is very reasonable and warm enough. Is the person old?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:05 pm
Cheiny wrote:
That’s ridiculous, unreasonable and very chutzpahdig in my opinions. Did the guest ask you first??? I’d say, tell her if she’s cold you can give her a heater for her room, but that the entire house will be too warm if it’s kept up that high! (Never mind the added heating costs!)

No. There was no communication first.

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:07 pm
In his room, or the whole house?

I don't think it's a problem for guests to manage their own ac/heater.

And he may not realize that he's drawing a lot of power if he doesn't have his own heat system at home - like if he lives in a one-pipe apartment building, for example.

amother
Sapphire

causemommysaid wrote:
Yeah pretty rude. I remember staying at my husbands grandmother though and she had her air conditioning set to 80 degrees. We were dying. At some point in the night we pushed it down to 76 but I knew it was rude, I just couldn't handle it anymore.

A couple degrees maybe but 20? How cold do you keep your house?

I would warn guests that you keep your house at xyz and provide lots of blankets and sweaters.

There is 3 blankets on the bed.

amother
Black

I personally would never touch someone else's thermostat. If you're very cold you can ask for another blanket or for the heat to be raised, but I would never turn it up myself.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:08 pm
Rappel wrote:
In his room, or the whole house?

I don't think it's a problem for guests to manage their own ac/heater.

And he may not realize that he's drawing a lot of power if he doesn't have his own heat system at home - like if he lives in a one-pipe apartment building, for example.

The whole house. I have several zones.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
No. There was no communication first.

Personally I think there is a range of normal temps and once you try to leave that range it gets rude for both the guest and the host.

Heat: 65 to 75
AC: 67 to 77

Obviously give or take a couple degrees.

If you set your house lower or higher then those temps you are probably making ur guest uncomfortable.

If your guest messes with the temperature more than a few degrees from where you set it then they are making you uncomfortable.

If your keep your house outside those ranges, it is respectful to warn your guests or change your setting while they are there.

If they need it outside those ranges they should communicate that before coming and try to plan for it.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:15 pm
Oh and 89 is outrageous.

Having it set to 69-70 is normal.

Ur guest is rude Smile

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
Yes - 89°

I’m going to guess this person is socially awkward?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:

I would let it go. If you have a guest in your house then you accept they may do things you don’t like. You may not have the full picture. Perhaps this guest has a medical issue making them feel cold that you are not privy to.

Obviously if they do this for a long period (a week vs a day), then there may be a financial issue for you to pay a big bill and it would make sense to talk to the guest.

I actually think it a tad rude posting on here about this. What if I am said guest and I am mortified to hear this?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
I would let it go. If you have a guest in your house then you accept they may do things you don’t like. You may not have the full picture. Perhaps this guest has a medical issue making them feel cold that you are not privy to.

Obviously if they do this for a long period (a week vs a day), then there may be a financial issue for you to pay a big bill and it would make sense to talk to the guest.

I actually think it a tad rude posting on here about this. What if I am said guest and I am mortified to hear this?

Then you will know for next time.

It’s important to be a good host. Equally important to be a good guest.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:

I have a medical issue that makes me uncomfortable in the heat. My guest could put on a sweater. What can I do? I have 2 fans on me now.

If my guest is reading this, then it is as a troll and deserves to know how upset I am.

Emotional

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:29 pm
I have very low tolerance for cold, and in the winter 69-70 would be unbearably cold for me. I have my own heat set on 72-75.
That said, as a guest I would never raise the heat without asking first. If asking wasn't possible (let's say host is sleeping) and I was desperate, maybe I would raise it 3 to 4 degrees maximum and then apologetically explain as soon as I could in the morning.
The only justification I could think of for this guest is maybe he/she has an intolerance to cold that is far worse than mine, due to some medical issue. And even so, they should have asked first.

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
Yes - 89°
Being DLKZ, maybe they just wanted the temp up a couple of degrees, but wanted it to get there faster, so they turned it up to the maximum with the intent of turning it back down in 15-20 minutes once they'd gotten to their desired 71 or 72. And then forgot.

It's still rude and I'd never do it at someone else's house, but I do this in my car all the time.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics