Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Dexamethasone for Covid
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:04 pm
A study with 6000 participants just came out that dexamthasone (a steroid that costs under $8) is extremely effective in treating covid.

This is for all those conspiracy theorists who thought “Government” was against hydroxicloriquine because it was “too cheap” (at under $15)

The initial hydroxicloriquine studies had way too little participants, and once the real studies were done, they saw quickly that it’s not the right treatment...

Here’s a study with a large control group.

Look it up.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:09 pm
Only for those already needing oxygen or further respiratory support.

naomi2

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:02 pm
Can't it be that both work?
When I start to hear about it from mainstream media I'll believe they have our best interest in mind. So far very few people are talking about it and the mayor is threatening to shut everything down again unless we stay inside. Thank you daddy Quomo.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:20 pm
naomi2 wrote:
When I start to hear about it from mainstream media I'll believe they have our best interest in mind. So far very few people are talking about it and the mayor is threatening to shut everything down again unless we stay inside. Thank you daddy Quomo.

In my country, the study findings were widely reported by prominent media outlets today.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:23 pm
Surprise!! Steroids works for inflammatory conditions!!! Who knew??!!

The downside is of course, that it will also hamper the necessary immune response. Catch 22. While hydroxy takes down inflammation, and also has anti viral properties.

Natural anti inflammatories will not interfere with anti viral immune response.

And for some people it’s the viral copies that are the issue, not the cytokine storm, so...

naomi2

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:25 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
In my country, the study findings were widely reported by prominent media outlets today.

That's exactly my point. In the US the media is so corrupt. I don't trust anything they report.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:25 pm
Wow. Makes sense. I usually give it for croup and it works within an hr

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 10:43 pm
naomi2 wrote:

It was all over the mainstream media today.
Front Page

& nope it can’t be that both work, because the studies are not showing that hydroxicloriquine works..

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 10:47 pm
I have a dog with Cushing’s disease and one of the ways we tested her was giving her dexamethasone injections. Really, my comment has nothing to do with anything. I just found it really interesting.

farm

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:08 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:

The downside is of course, that it will also hamper the necessary immune response. Catch 22. While hydroxy takes down inflammation, and also has anti viral properties.

And for some people it’s the viral copies that are the issue, not the cytokine storm, so...

Are you me? The strangest experience! I opened this thread for the first time and found my exact reply already posted, along with my attitude too! Whoever you are, we need to be friends.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:12 am

...and that is why oncology had their leukemia patients hold the steroids for a couple of months

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 7:57 am
farm wrote:
Are you me? The strangest experience! I opened this thread for the first time and found my exact reply already posted, along with my attitude too! Whoever you are, we need to be friends.
lol I don’t think so. Did you miss my line about natural anti inflammatory ?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 7:58 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
...and that is why oncology had their leukemia patients hold the steroids for a couple of months
just steroids? Other Chemos are even more immune suppressing...

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:21 am
Everyone said to avoid ibuprofin with Covid but logically, wouldn't an antiinflammatory be good?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:58 am
just steroids? Other Chemos are even more immune suppressing...

You can’t just stop chemo altogether...
This is how this specific protocol was now tweaked. Don’t know about others...

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Everyone said to avoid ibuprofin with Covid but logically, wouldn't an antiinflammatory be good?

The whole issue with ibuprofen was never actually proved. It fell more into the category of an overblown rumour, and no one wanting to take risks. By now it is carved in stone.

Now they are actually trialling the use of a slightly different formulation of ibuprofen. It is not the kind that you buy OTC, but a specific (liquid) form, and I think it is being tried on hospitalised patients, seeing if it will help reduce the need for ventilators. It seems to have some success, but they can't say anything definite yet.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It was all over the mainstream media today.
Front Page

& nope it can’t be that both work, because the studies are not showing that hydroxicloriquine works..

Afaik, there haven't yet been any properly constructed double blind studies on hydroxychloroquine and zinc in people who are newly diagnosed (not seriously ill), with results published.

There was one, but all study participants in that study were health care personnel given hcq or placebo prophylactically. When some started having covid symptoms, they correctly guessed that they were on the placebo and began self-medicating with hcq, which obviously impacted the study's results.

The results in that study showed little difference between the hcq group and the non-hcq group--not because both groups did poorly but because both groups did amazingly well with no deaths and a tiny percentage that was seriously ill.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A study with 6000 participants just came out that dexamthasone (a steroid that costs under $8) is extremely effective in treating covid.

We should also keep in mind that "extremely effective" is about a third of cases improved with dexamthasone.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:39 am
Laiya wrote:

The results in that study showed little difference between the hcq group and the non-hcq group--not because both groups did poorly but because both groups did amazingly well with no deaths and a tiny percentage that was seriously ill.

That would appear to show that use of hcq has little effect in a low risk, generally healthy population.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:45 am

Inflammation is an over-reaction of the immune system. Steroids are immuno-suppressants, that's why they are used in auto-immune diseases and for inflammation. What do you mean that steroids hamper the immune response? They reduce inflammation by cooling down the immune response.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics