Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Now here's a ban I can get behind

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 6:42 am
Rabbis to battle smoking in haredi public

I wonder if it will work...

VeraR

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 7:39 am
I seem to have heard of something similar around 20-30 years ago - have a feeling it will have just as much effect now as it did then!

Shabbat Shalom,

Vera

louche

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 10:47 am
I wish them hatzlacha. It's about time.

red sea

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 11:54 am
Cheers

mamacita

Post Sat, Mar 01 2008, 2:57 pm
I've heard rabbi's defend it as one of the few vices men are allowed. I'd personally rather see them playing basketball or something similar that's "assur" Tongue Out

Ruchel

Post Sat, Mar 01 2008, 3:23 pm
mamacita wrote:
I've heard rabbi's defend it as one of the few vices men are allowed. I'd personally rather see them playing basketball or something similar that's "assur" Tongue Out

oh yeah... it would be crazy that harmless fun would be wrong, but slowly killing yourself would be ok... as for "one of the only vices"... It seems in some circles that drinking is not a problem either. Confused

Ima'la

Post Sat, Mar 01 2008, 5:25 pm
I can't remember the details, but a couple of years ago, Mishpacha had an article that showed several anti-smoking ads that had appeared in the chareidi press (maybe the Hebrew Mishpacha). The ads were really well done! They should just be successful...

We clipped a Letter-to-the-Editor in Hamodia a couple of years ago from a young widow, mother of several children, who expressed the anger she felt toward her late husband who left his family to fend for themselves because he chose to follow his cigarettes to an early grave. Crying Very powerful.

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 01 2008, 9:28 pm
if only life were that simple ... What

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 01 2008, 9:38 pm
Several members of my family have died from emphysema. Just "banning" it would not hve done anything as smoking is an addiction.

Also, it does cut down on the quality of life but not nec. the years. Many DO ive long lives.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics