Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Covid or sinus infection?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:06 pm
Which do you think I have? Corona or sinus infection?
Last week started with a nose drip and quickly turned to a terribly scratchy sore throat. No cough. That night I had chills and aching everywhere, head torso and limbs. I didn't take my temp but I felt very overheated. My nose was completely stuffed and I had to put a fan on me to sleep and breathe easy. Still no cough though.
I tried to see if I'm short of breath but it's kind of hard to breathe when sick anyway.
I took a covid test, Friday it came back negative.
Shabbos I realized my morning coffee suddenly tastes awful. Like dirt. I tried tasting a few more foods and they were okay. I was still stuffed like crazy but no cough.
Over the past few days I realized I'm not really smelling or tasting anything. A little bit I can if I get really close to it or if it's very strong. I haven't tried coffee again. I still felt overheated like when I have fever.
Today my cold is basically gone finally BH. I'm thinking if I should take another corona test, or an antibodies test, or just assume I had a sinus infection- it's possible to lose your sense of smell from that too.
Also the covid test felt like nothing. Like a feather and it didn't go deep at all. Maybe it missed it?
Opinions from experienced people please.
Oh I'm in Brooklyn and we are all exposed multiple times a day every day.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:09 pm
It could still be covid based on the symptoms.
Do you have pain at the temples, cheekbones, or bridge of your nose (sinus pain)?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:10 pm
Yes test again. If your test was a rapid there is a huge chance it was a false negative. Your symptoms sound like textbook covid.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It could still be covid based on the symptoms.
Do you have pain at the temples, cheekbones, or bridge of your nose (sinus pain)?

No sinus pain
If I test again will it pick up covid if it's there, if my symptoms are basically gone? Besides smell and taste and a drop of stuffiness.
Thanks ra mom!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:16 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Yes test again. If your test was a rapid there is a huge chance it was a false negative. Your symptoms sound like textbook covid.

It wasn't a rapid test.
Textbook covid even with no cough?

Oh I forgot to say that my throat was so dry like I've never felt. Nothing alleviated it, not hot drinks or cough drops or anything.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No sinus pain
If I test again will it pick up covid if it's there, if my symptoms are basically gone? Besides smell and taste and a drop of stuffiness.
Thanks ra mom!

It might.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It might.

So do you think I should test for antibodies instead?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So do you think I should test for antibodies instead?

Test for covid again. R"S!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Test for covid again. R"S!

Thank you for your advice!

Miri1

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:32 pm
Do a PCR again, even if the symptoms have cleared it is very likely to pick it up, especially as your symptoms were pronounced.

Miri1

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:36 pm
It's too soon for antibodies, I'd wait a few more weeks for that.
Also, the test doesn't have to pierce your brain to be effective. I've had all types, I've almost passed out, and I've almost felt nothing at all, and everything in between.
Glad you're feeling better now!

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It wasn't a rapid test.
Textbook covid even with no cough?

Oh I forgot to say that my throat was so dry like I've never felt. Nothing alleviated it, not hot drinks or cough drops or anything.

Yes not everyone has a cough. I didn't. The smell/taste symptoms are a giveaway.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:42 pm
Thanks everyone
You're the best
I'll take a new test tomorrow iyh

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 12:02 am
My sister said she gets Sinus infections every winter but this year it’s called Covid. She tested positive but felt the exact same symptoms as every winter

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 12:11 am
Honestly the sinus infections I had in the past were much worse than this. As far as drainage.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 5:47 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
My sister said she gets Sinus infections every winter but this year it’s called Covid. She tested positive but felt the exact same symptoms as every winter

That's strange. I had a sinus infection this year and it wasn't covid.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 6:12 am
I had extremely bad Covid for 2 months, and barely had a cough, just a tight feeling in my lungs.

After I recovered, I got a full blown sinus infection because my immune system was so low. That felt entirely different. The pressure inside my skull was excruciating. Antibiotics cleared it up.

The ENT said that their office is flooded with people who have had Covid, and now have secondary bacterial infections. Sinus, tonsils, adenoids, all tend to flare up as soon as the Covid leaves.

(I also got a massive tooth infection, and had to have a rear molar removed. Another course of antibiotics for that. Yay. My dentist said that same thing - a record number of dental infections following Covid.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 7:30 am
OP again
If I do test positive (results will come back thursday)
The CDC says 10 days from when symptoms first started as long as your symptoms are improving and you have no fever
It's already been 10 days for me and I'm pretty much back to myself so I don't have to quarantine, right?
My husband and kids- BH symptom free. Does their 14 days start from my first day of illness or from the day I get a positive test result?
If they test negative (some of them are tested weekly) do they have to quarantine?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 7:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP again
If I do test positive (results will come back thursday)
The CDC says 10 days from when symptoms first started as long as your symptoms are improving and you have no fever
It's already been 10 days for me and I'm pretty much back to myself so I don't have to quarantine, right?
My husband and kids- BH symptom free. Does their 14 days start from my first day of illness or from the day I get a positive test result?
If they test negative (some of them are tested weekly) do they have to quarantine?

Quarantine for those in close contact with someone who tested positive is no longer 14 days. You start counting from day 10 for you, which is the last day they were in close contact with someone considered contagious, and the next day is day 1 for them. On day 8 for them they can get tested and if it's negative they can go back. Or if you'd rather not test, on day 11 for them they can go back. In other words, if day 1 for you is when you first noticed symptoms, they can test on day 18 or just go back on day 21.

ETA this is assuming they are all asymptomatic. Testing during this period if asymptomatic does not change the length of quarantine since it could be too early to detect.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:18 am
Thank you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics