Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Considering leaving NY - where to?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

If you left of might leave NY, where to?
Israel  
 29%  [ 28 ]
Florida  
 39%  [ 37 ]
Other US state (please comment which)  
 23%  [ 22 ]
Other (please comment where)  
 7%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 94

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:08 pm
Mostly I'm worried about the bill going to the governor on Wednesday about detaining individuals and groups deemed a public safety threat. Wording is scarily vague and can easily be abused and lead to full on detention camps. No trivial thing at all. If you're not worried, think about neighbors tattling on the Jews for having a wedding and then the roundups of Jews for spreading the virus, and who is to decide which people are a threat and why? Can be detained indefinitely in a medical facility or whatever other facility the governor decides. Speed limits are fine. Detention camps are not.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:24 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
California. Better weather and better jobs. I support public health measures though, and value saving human lives over a nebulous idea of “freedom.”

I've heard horrible things about California.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Mostly I'm worried about the bill going to the governor on Wednesday about detaining individuals and groups deemed a public safety threat. Wording is scarily vague and can easily be abused and lead to full on detention camps. No trivial thing at all. If you're not worried, think about neighbors tattling on the Jews for having a wedding and then the roundups of Jews for spreading the virus, and who is to decide which people are a threat and why? Can be detained indefinitely in a medical facility or whatever other facility the governor decides. Speed limits are fine. Detention camps are not.

Do you want individuals and groups deemed a public safety threat, out on the streets? (I think that’s more scary.)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:34 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Do you want individuals and groups deemed a public safety threat, out on the streets? (I think that’s more scary.)

We have a criminal justice system. This isn't part of it. This is someone's idea that you or your family or your community is a "threat" to the public at their discretion and locking you up indefinitely, no trial. Regardless..This isn't the politics forum, so let's stay focused please.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:41 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I was also thinking LA, but isn't the cost of living in California very high?

Yes, the cost of living, especially housing, is very high. However, for us, we realized that the higher income would make up for the housing cost difference in 5-10 years, maybe less. We do have a smaller / older house than we would probably end up with elsewhere, but it’s cute, functional, big enough and we love it. Also, because the weather is great, we spend tons of time outside anyway.

amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I've heard horrible things about California.

Ok, what things? We absolutely love it here. I’m sure it’s not for everyone, but I can’t see us ever leaving. California is also really big with many many different communities. We rented for a year and spent almost every shabbos visiting a different one so we could buy in a place we truly loved.

Just One

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You've been reading too many conspiracy theories. I'm a lifelong Republican who values personal freedom but that doesn't mean we need to buy into mass produced hysteria and anxiety.
Yes I want government off my back and don't believe the role of state or federal government is to babysit its citizens, yet I don't in any way believe that detention camps are gonna be happening in this country in this day and age. Andrew Cuomo is a conceited, power loving guy, sure, but he's no Stalin, just look at his record. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to go down in history as the governor who detained people en mass.
Let's concentrate on the real threats to our freedom

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:48 pm
This ought be to be in Politics

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you are talking about A416. That is not going to the Governor on Wednesday.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have a criminal justice system. This isn't part of it. This is someone's idea that you or your family or your community is a "threat" to the public at their discretion and locking you up indefinitely, no trial.

What makes you say that? (and what makes you think that those who are a threat to the public wouldn’t be a threat to us too?)

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have a criminal justice system. This isn't part of it. This is someone's idea that you or your family or your community is a "threat" to the public at their discretion and locking you up indefinitely, no trial. Regardless..This isn't the politics forum, so let's stay focused please.

NY has the ability to remove a person and lock him up if he is deemed an EDP, no trial needed. So your neighbor can say that you are acting crazy and they will remove you and lock you up. Now the governor will decide that he can lock you up if he thinks you have a disease which isnt visible like the way your neighbor perceived your external behavior. Cuomo likes to have the power so that he can do anything he wants and this will also allow him the ability to override scotus and shut down houses of worship (by removing worshipers based on perceived "threat" of having a invisible disease). So this bill targets Jews for the most part and should be challenged in a court of law if it does get passed.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:08 am
I heard California is just as bad as NY now if not worse. Florida seems to be one of the least restrictive in terms of Covid laws.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:47 am
Can we please stay focused on places to move and take discussion of the political stuff to the politics forum?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:50 am
If you are picking up and moving anyway, come to Israel. Because, you know, Hashem.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can we please stay focused on places to move and take discussion of the political stuff to the politics forum?

What features are you looking for in a place to move, both in the Jewish community specifically and in the broader area? Also, how would you prioritize those features relative to one another?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:41 am
challahchallah wrote:
What features are you looking for in a place to move, both in the Jewish community specifically and in the broader area?

Openminded about specifics, but it needs to be someplace with a frum community. If in Israel, cost is a big worry so we'd need to consider more options. Ideally in/near Jerusalem and at least some frum English speakers. In in the US, someplace affordable and friendly, but I'm strongly leaning toward Aliyah if we can make it work. It's the only move I would make to go TO somewhere instead of running FROM somewhere. The costs and inconveniences of a harder day to day life scare me.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Openminded about specifics, but it needs to be someplace with a frum community. If in Israel, cost is a big worry so we'd need to consider more options. Ideally in/near Jerusalem and at least some frum English speakers. In in the US, someplace affordable and friendly, but I'm strongly leaning toward Aliyah if we can make it work. It's the only move I would make to go TO somewhere instead of running FROM somewhere. The costs and inconveniences of a harder day to day life scare me.

That’s so exciting that you’re leaning toward Aliyah!! Why don’t you say approximately what sort of hashkafa you’re looking for as well as what sort of jobs you’d be looking for so people can give you more tailored recommendations.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 2:02 am
challahchallah wrote:
That’s so exciting that you’re leaning toward Aliyah!! Why don’t you say approximately what sort of hashkafa you’re looking for as well as what sort of jobs you’d be looking for so people can give you more tailored recommendations.

In the US we're yeshivish, so how does that translate in Israel? We'd be looking for jobs in real estate (back end..mortgages, tax analysis, estates/property inheritance etc) or other financial analysis related jobs. We're both fully remote right now, so maybe location of job isn't as crucial if they allow remote or partially remote work?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 2:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In the US we're yeshivish, so how does that translate in Israel? We'd be looking for jobs in real estate (back end..mortgages, tax analysis, estates/property inheritance etc) or other financial analysis related jobs. We're both fully remote right now, so maybe location of job isn't as crucial if they allow remote or partially remote work?

Your best bet is Ramat Beit Shemesh. Beitar Illit is also a possibility. Both have Anglo populations. Jerusalem is very expensive.

If you can keep your jobs and work remotely, you're going to be in a great place.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 3:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not so well, from what I've read here, but there are pockets of Anglo communities that are a decent fit.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 3:32 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Yes I am planning to leave NY. I am going to Cleveland IYH, posted about it on another thread. My husband us very nervous about the state of America honestly though. I don't think that EY is any better in that regard and might be worse at the moment.
In what ways are you talking about?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating