Home

Weird question...UPDATE
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:32 pm
Ok. This may be a very strange question...

My baby (1 yr old) has several allergies. Over Pesach his diet was limited, since he couldn't eat oatmeal, which is his main food.

Today he got oatmeal again.
Afterwards he had an allergic reaction in which he needed an epipen injection.
There were no known new foods that he ingested so we have no idea what he reacted to. Other than oatmeal, he ate the same non -dairy yogurt he has been eating all week.

Is there any possibility that he developed an oatmeal allergy in the last week??

I know its a weird question but I don't know what to think. (I called his allergist but he won't be getting back to me until tomorrow.)
Back to top

greenteaorange




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:05 pm
Wow so scary’!
Could be your baby developed some
Other allergy that can happen.
Did your baby ever get blood
Work to see what he is allergic to
Back to top

BH Yom Yom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:17 pm
Refuah sheleimah to your baby!
Back to top

amother




Navy
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:21 pm
I actually tested (skin and blood) after having rashes and stuff and the only food item that showed any allergy was oats but very very trace. The allergist said I don’t have to avoid it. Oat allergies are no common bit not impossible. Weird though that it was this sudden. Could it be from anything else? Did the brand change any other ingredients ?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:25 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
Wow so scary’!
Could be your baby developed some
Other allergy that can happen.
Did your baby ever get blood
Work to see what he is allergic to


Yes, we got a complete workup and he is allergic to 5 foods.
I am not aware of him having eaten any of those foods today.
I started off the morning with oatmeal and almond milk. He lived on oatmeal every day for months until Pesach... Later on he had some non dairy yogurt- which he has had throughout yom tov.
Unless he put something in his mouth when none of us saw...it was all very strange. His lip blew up and didnt go down until after he got the epipen.

I just wondered if someone can develope an allergy suddenly like that.
Back to top

greenteaorange




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:30 pm
I think it can happen that allergies just show up though is not super common. Could also be a product you gave him was made in a facility that produced something he was allergic too. Hopefully you’ll have more clarity tomorrow when you speak to his allergist!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:47 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
I think it can happen that allergies just show up though is not super common. Could also be a product you gave him was made in a facility that produced something he was allergic too. Hopefully you’ll have more clarity tomorrow when you speak to his allergist!


Thanks. I was just wondering if it made any sense and if I should avoid the oatmeal tomorrow. But it sounds like it's probably not that.
Back to top

amother




Ruby
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:51 pm
Could it be the almond milk?
Back to top

amother




Beige
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:54 pm
My son has had “mystery” reactions - in which he didn’t eat any of his allergens.
I recommend staying away from the oatmeal for tomorrow. Till you’ve spoken with your allergist. Maybe if possible - stay away from anything he ate today until you speak to allergist. (I know, then there’s probably nothing for him to eat...)
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:40 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Could it be the almond milk?


I don't know. He normally has the Almond Breeze brand but today I gave him the Liebers KLP brand.. Scratching Head
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:40 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
My son has had “mystery” reactions - in which he didn’t eat any of his allergens.
I recommend staying away from the oatmeal for tomorrow. Till you’ve spoken with your allergist. Maybe if possible - stay away from anything he ate today until you speak to allergist. (I know, then there’s probably nothing for him to eat...)

Exactly Sad
Back to top

octopus




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:03 pm
Hi you gave the epi pen for a blown up lip? You didn't try Benadryl first?
Sometimes when a kid is getting sick they just start reacting to anything because their immune system is going haywire. My kid does that a day or two before running fever.
Back to top

octopus




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:05 pm
I was told by my allergist that if I give an epi pen I MUST call hatzalah. Epi pen is for major allergic reactions. Child has to be observed after giving it.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:49 pm
octopus wrote:
Hi you gave the epi pen for a blown up lip? You didn't try Benadryl first?
Sometimes when a kid is getting sick they just start reacting to anything because their immune system is going haywire. My kid does that a day or two before running fever.


I didn't give the epipen. The dr in urgent care did. And then she called EMS to take us to ER where he was under observation for 4 hours.

Also, I did try benadryl first, and called the allergist at the same time. He said to take him to urgent care.

I never heard that thing about reacting to anything because he might be getting sick. It definitely seemed to be an allergic reaction, since his symptoms went away about 20 minutes after receiving the epipen.
Back to top

amother




Puce
 

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:55 pm
Does he have environmental allergies as well? It could be his immune system was revved, histamine bucket already full and he reacted more strongly.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:01 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Does he have environmental allergies as well? It could be his immune system was revved, histamine bucket already full and he reacted more strongly.


I dont know what the bolded means.
But, yes, he is allergic to dustmites. Apparently he is quite young to have developed that, but he did..
Back to top

amother




Beige
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:19 am
Please don’t have any doubts that you (the doctor) used the Epipen.
“Epi first, Epi fast”
I learned that from a food allergy Facebook group.
That said - everyone should make a specific “allergy plan” with their allergist that discusses when Benedryl is appropriate and when to use Epi.

About the histimine thing a previous poster mentioned- I’ve heard of that too and my son is having major environmental allergy flare ups right now (yes he’s super allergic to dust mites too) and it makes me nervous.

Re the different almond milk brand - that’s very interesting. Was yesterday his first time with that brand or was he using it the whole pesach? It’s worth looking into (cross contamination, shared equipment etc...)

I’m sorry if I’m overwhelming. I’m just a fellow food allergy mom
Back to top

amother




Beige
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:19 am
Would love if you could post back tomorrow what the allergist says...if you feel comfortable
Back to top

amother




Bisque
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know. He normally has the Almond Breeze brand but today I gave him the Liebers KLP brand.. Scratching Head


Hopefully it's something to do with this brand change, and therefore an easy fix. Has he ever had the Liebers before?
Back to top

Geulanow




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:26 am
Could it be mold related? Some oats can develop aproblem with a mold related toxin.
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Chesed Fund for FranticFrummie - Update page 11 :( 224 Tue, Apr 20 2021, 2:22 pm View last post
5lbs of mozzarella — Update: also labne 23 Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:32 pm View last post
Cellulitis and normal white count possible?UPDATE
by amother
33 Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:24 am View last post
My mom( update ) 35 Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:00 pm View last post
Plz help me calm down (teenager) UPDATE
by amother
53 Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:14 pm View last post