Home

Augmentin and diarrhea. Update
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:10 pm
My toddler is on augmentin for a skin infection. It's bh helping. But dc got a horrific diarrhea from it. Do I ask the Dr to switch it or is there something I can give to help the diarrhea? I was thinking bananas but dc hates bananas.
Back to top

Stars




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:16 pm
Are you giving it with a meal every time?
Back to top

Persevere




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My toddler is on augmentin for a skin infection. It's bh helping. But dc got a horrific diarrhea from it. Do I ask the Dr to switch it or is there something I can give to help the diarrhea? I was thinking bananas but dc hates bananas.


Start probiotics such as lactobacillus acidophilus.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:17 pm
Stars wrote:
Are you giving it with a meal every time?

No. It makes a difference?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:17 pm
Persevere wrote:
Start probiotics such as lactobacillus acidophilus.

What does it do? It stops the diarrhea?
Back to top

amother




Moccasin
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No. It makes a difference?


Taking it with a meal may reduce stomach upset and help your body absorb the drug better

-google
Back to top

amother




Snowdrop
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:21 pm
Probiotics to counter the side effect of the antibiotic killing off friendly bacteria.

Activated charcoal 2 hrs away from meds will also help
Back to top

amother




Moccasin
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does it do? It stops the diarrhea?


Lines the stomach with good bacteria so the body isn’t so bothered by the meds
Back to top

amother




Floralwhite
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:22 pm
You must give him probiotics!

Here's the simple way to understand it. Some antibiotics kill some type of bacteria, some kill another type. Some antibiotics are called broad spectrum, which means they kill a lot of different kinds. Augmentin is a broad spectrum antibiotic.

In every persons gut, they have healthy bacteria that help you digest your food. Without them, we wouldn't digest properly.

Sometimes, Augmentin can kill the good bacteria, in addition to the bad one. Then the diarrhea comes in to play.

Probiotics replace the loss of healthy bacteria in your gut. It's not a magic cure, but it should hopefully help.

Note to yourself: whenever your child is on antibiotics, you should supplement with probiotics. Try not to give the probiotics at the same time as the Augmentin. Space them apart by at least an hour.

You can buy probiotics at a pharmacy or health food store.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:27 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
You must give him probiotics!

Here's the simple way to understand it. Some antibiotics kill some type of bacteria, some kill another type. Some antibiotics are called broad spectrum, which means they kill a lot of different kinds. Augmentin is a broad spectrum antibiotic.

In every persons gut, they have healthy bacteria that help you digest your food. Without them, we wouldn't digest properly.

Sometimes, Augmentin can kill the good bacteria, in addition to the bad one. Then the diarrhea comes in to play.

Probiotics replace the loss of healthy bacteria in your gut. It's not a magic cure, but it should hopefully help.

Note to yourself: whenever your child is on antibiotics, you should supplement with probiotics. Try not to give the probiotics at the same time as the Augmentin. Space them apart by at least an hour.

You can buy probiotics at a pharmacy or health food store.

Tnx. Will do. Giving probiotics isn't hard. The difficult part is to remember to space it. I started him on Mrsa miracle too. It's a vitamin from herbari. I've had great experiences with different vitamins from this company. But he had the diarrhea before I started this vitamin.
Back to top

amother




Snowdrop
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tnx. Will do. Giving probiotics isn't hard. The difficult part is to remember to space it. I started him on Mrsa miracle too. It's a vitamin from herbari. I've had great experiences with different vitamins from this company. But he had the diarrhea before I started this vitamin.
Augmentin is known to be hard on the stomach.
Back to top

amother




Snowdrop
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
You must give him probiotics!

Here's the simple way to understand it. Some antibiotics kill some type of bacteria, some kill another type. Some antibiotics are called broad spectrum, which means they kill a lot of different kinds. Augmentin is a broad spectrum antibiotic.

In every persons gut, they have healthy bacteria that help you digest your food. Without them, we wouldn't digest properly.

Sometimes, Augmentin can kill the good bacteria, in addition to the bad one. Then the diarrhea comes in to play.

Probiotics replace the loss of healthy bacteria in your gut. It's not a magic cure, but it should hopefully help.

Note to yourself: whenever your child is on antibiotics, you should supplement with probiotics. Try not to give the probiotics at the same time as the Augmentin. Space them apart by at least an hour.

You can buy probiotics at a pharmacy or health food store.
Great post, tiny correction. Antibiotics don’t sometimes kill off good bacteria, they always do. They don’t differentiate.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
Lines the stomach with good bacteria so the body isn’t so bothered by the meds

Got it. He only had 4 dirty pampers today which technically isn't so bad but he soiled through every time. And it's only the 2nd day. I'm scared it's gonna happen more often. Shabbos is coming up I don't have that much change of clothing.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
Augmentin is known to be hard on the stomach.

I already read about this on google. That's why I decided to ask for advice.
Back to top

amother




Moccasin
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:38 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
Great post, tiny correction. Antibiotics don’t sometimes kill off good bacteria, they always do. They don’t differentiate.


There are new studies that say this is not always true.
Back to top

amother




Floralwhite
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 9:10 pm
Other than probiotics, try the BRAT diet to the best of your ability.
Bananas
Rice
Applesauce
Toast
This is good for diarrhea.

Can I ask what skin kind of infection your doctor is treating?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 9:18 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Other than probiotics, try the BRAT diet to the best of your ability.
Bananas
Rice
Applesauce
Toast
This is good for diarrhea.

Can I ask what skin kind of infection your doctor is treating?

Impetigo.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 9:20 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Other than probiotics, try the BRAT diet to the best of your ability.
Bananas
Rice
Applesauce
Toast
This is good for diarrhea.

Can I ask what skin kind of infection your doctor is treating?

To the best of my ability..yea. He's such a picky eater that it ain't funny. He hates applesauce, he hates bananas. I even bought the pouches applesauce thinking it'll be more exciting.
Back to top

amother




Amaranthus
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:17 pm
My child is very frequently on augmentin for 14 days or so at a time, so I’ve got lots of experience with this lol Can't Believe It

1) probiotics- as mentioned upthread. Get something with saccharomyces boulardii. You can try florester. I use the I think the nutrition supreme brand of saccharomyces boulardii. (Can check soon) It’s a capsule, I have an easy way to mix it with water in a syringe. Kids don’t love it, but what can ya do... depending on age of child there might be other ways to get child to take it.

Continue with the probiotics even after abx course is done.

2) we’ve had times that we were able to get the dose lowered if the diarrhea was really bad or switched to another antibiotic. But this was done by an infectious disease doctor, so I knew it was very calculated. There are also different versions of augmentin- one has more amoxicillin and other more clavulanic and that also makes a difference in how hard it is on the stomach. I don’t know if you have flexibility with this specific infection you’re dealing with. But hopefully it passes soon with least tummy upset possible iy’H.

Refuah sheleima
Back to top

amother




Amaranthus
 

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:21 pm
Another thing- try to avoid dairy- especially milk. Good probiotic rich yogurt is good though.
And avoid juices and other things that can aggravate diarrhea.
Though hydration with diarrhea, especially in these weathers is super important... my son like fruit punch pedialyte in a bottle.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Please update me: Ami living serial See You
by amother
20 Sun, Sep 19 2021, 2:46 pm View last post
It’s 1 week until school and.. UPDATE
by amother
162 Fri, Sep 10 2021, 9:30 am View last post
Already spoiled? Update
by amother
34 Thu, Sep 09 2021, 2:29 am View last post
Update:18 months old and not talking at all.
by amother
95 Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:09 pm View last post
Update 9/3: USPS tracking says delivered, but didn't receive
by amother
43 Fri, Sep 03 2021, 4:29 pm View last post